Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '95 Legacy: Trashwagon10

TheLoyale

Oooo, oil temp gauge... covet.

the ultragauge tells me a lot, but not oil temp.

It's rather interesting to watch the two temp gauges - During warmup, the coolant warms up first, then the oil temp follows. But once warmed up, the oil temp is more sensitive to load changes than the coolant temp.

I'm actually having the idea of getting out of this car come summer time, and into an '80s FJ60 4spd.

I'm becoming more fond of these old Landcruisers then I am of the Legacy, and for those of you who said Subarus dominate the snow and how the FJ80 would be lumberson in it. Well, you are sorely mistaken. The truck does not slide at tall (Unlike the Legacy) I guess when you have 6,000lbs to your advantage, there isn't much room for sliding.

Once you drive an old LC in the snow, you will also find out that Subarus aren't as great as you once thought (they are still great machines) but a full frame solid axle multi-link Landcruiser is much nicer in A LOT of ways.

Edited by TheLoyale

Im not going to question the way a LC handles on the rocks or the dirt or any other term of offroading. But i will take a legacy in the snow with its low center of gravity and awd and 22mpg vs any land cruiser any day of the week. Im sorry i have driven lots of suvs and lots of trucks and there isnt the confidence of not sliding out of control and wipeing out 2 different cars as you slide into the ditch and rolling over in the process due to it being heavy on top. Ask me how i know. Im only saying that i have driven my brothers wrangler. One would consider one of the greatest offroad vehicles ever produced in the snow and ice and it scared the bejesus out of me. Vs my loyale or my friends Forrester which had very controlable wheel spin and never at any point made me fear any danger.

The only problem I see with your comment is "Wrangler" Jeep is just a name as is Harley-Davdison. They are unreliable, incapable garbage. The rear problem with Jeep is all the hype over then, but when you look at what you get, its not worth the money. No LSD or Locking Diff standard, Very little suspension travel (Which is why they flip over on the rocks) Short and light weight, another issue.

I'm a strong believer that Subaru can out wheel a Jeep on-road or off-road, we've all seen it. But until you have driven a Landcruiser or 4-Runner, you can not base its drivability off any other SUV name.

Now, back to Subarus, I personally would drive an EA82 over a Legacy in a blizzard.

The only problem I see with your comment is "Wrangler" Jeep is just a name as is Harley-Davdison. They are unreliable, incapable garbage. The rear problem with Jeep is all the hype over then, but when you look at what you get, its not worth the money. No LSD or Locking Diff standard, Very little suspension travel (Which is why they flip over on the rocks) Short and light weight, another issue.

I'm a strong believer that Subaru can out wheel a Jeep on-road or off-road, we've all seen it. But until you have driven a Landcruiser or 4-Runner, you can not base its drivability off any other SUV name.

Now, back to Subarus, I personally would drive an EA82 over a Legacy in a blizzard.

You cant be serious with any of that.:eek:

i believe it to be the wranglers short wheel base that is its downfall in snow? off road and snow are 2 different things. Shorter wheel base combined with a lighter vehicle in low traction is gonna aid you in gaining a Brian Boitano like super spin move.

in the pic, you can say the arms being farther out is compared to a longer wheel base..

skater.rote.gif

yes, i did just reference figure skating on an automotive forum.

tire surface to weight ratio has probably more effect than anything. Feel free to disagree, because i dont really give a ************. :)

Have you actually ever driven a wrangler offroad. Now in the snow im not going to argue, but there is a reason there one of the most popular offroading platforms out there. Now i understand that your not a mainstream kind of guy and you dont follow the masses. But you cant argue with years of proven offroad history and capabililty of the wrangler or the whole cj platform as well.

Take a fully decked out offroad legacy and a fully decked out off road wrangler and see which one is going to do better. ALOT can be said about a driver or a driver knowing there vehicle. No one is saying your Cruiser is a bad offroader it is a very good offroader, but when your figuring aftermarket support, power to weight ratio, simple fuelmpg there is no contest.

And with the exception of the auto trannys which have plagued chrysler for years you can say nothing about the engines and the 5 speed platforms for these vehicles.

And though i consider you a friend on here the closeminded comment really kinda set me back. Whose closeminded here. Have you even driven a wrangler at all. Top down, all that jaz. Have you ever been offroading in one. Have you ever been on an offroad trail, have you ever even had to fix something in the mud. Before i was into subarus i had full size trucks and went offroading all the time. I will agree that some jeep owners have a holyer then thou attitude but thats not all of them and thats not taking away from what they bring to the table. Thats like saying the early Toyota trucks with the 22r is a bad offroad platform. Jeeps like any vehicle starting from scratch have there downfalls, 1st things comes to mind is the C-clip axels.

Im not going to hijack your thread any longer with jeep talk about a toyota in a subaru board. But im asking you to experience some things before you start spouting off about them. I dont know everything about everything, but i know enough to warrant this argument. Go out and do and i think you will be suprised.

Xbeerd

Feel free to disagree, because i dont really give a ************. :)

I agree with this, I really don't care either. To each their own.

There are pros and cons to every vehicle, why? Because its man made. And I also don't see anything wrong with the 20R or 22R platforms, solid made vehicles in my mind.

I give props to the Figure skating reference :clap:

Edited by TheLoyale

I agree with this, I really don't care either. To each their own.

There are pros and cons to every vehicle, why? Because its man made.

I give props to the Figure skating reference :clap:

maybe the lake will freeze, and i'll get to show everyone a mean triple sow cow:headbang:

Dude Abides

And though I consider you a friend on here the closeminded comment really kinda set me back.

You consider me a friend on here? But for the past 2 years you have been breakin' my balls over the EA82 being nothing but a trailer queen. Might be, but the point is, I still have a very clean and well done, problem free EA82 which will last me into my golden years. That, is the only thing that counts.

Heres a new one for ya, 4EAT, engages into Drive, shifts through all gears and TC lock up just fine, but reverse does not work. Feels like it wants to engage, but only revvs.

ATF looks and smells fine, no odd sounds, drives fine, just does not engage reverse, WTF?

Going to check things out tomorrow, any ideas?

thats weird. they mentioned the duty B solenoid, im guessin that is the one that engages the reverse gear? maybe check the wiring going to the trans

Is there such a thing as a "Duty-B" or was it just a typo for Duty-C? Yeah, I'm going to check this stuff out tomorrow (When its not 9* out) Hahaha!

This cannot be serious, All forward gears work flawlessly and so does the Toque Converter Lockup, so I'm a little puzzled. I have zero slippage, and Reversed worked strong when it "did" work. The Sh*t worked just fine two nights ago :-p

Time for 5spd, or a FJ60! :cool:

WTF is with that? Was Subaru trying to use more letters from alphabet?

maybe they called it that because its the blue one. :brow: lol.

you'll have to verify, but on the 2k, it shows all the solenoids are right up under the tranny pan. of course at the loss of like 6 quarts of tranny oil.

man, all this tranny talk.... :o

Edited by xbeerd