Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '95 Legacy: Trashwagon10

TheLoyale

copy above...

in my experience:

My 95 leggo was a 3.90 5MT stock. MY reverse gave up the ghost and I swapped for a 99 OB 5MT (4.11).

P1030595.JPGP1030596.JPG

I'd've preferred a forester (better overdrive 5th gear in the fozzie), but the OB one fell in place at the right time AND was local (w/i a 1.5 hour drive) AAAAND was the right price including the diff. The thing drives like stock now even with 27" tires!!! With my ATs and I've got acceleration and pep that I don't remember ever having (I've been on 27" ATs for nearly as long as I've owned the car). I can't imagine daily driving with 4.44s :banghead:

It'd just be changing gears all the time with a 4.44 stick... Off road I'm sure you'd LOOOOVE it, but honsetly most (if not all) of your miles are pavement, right?

I doubt (not from experience or seeing the guts of an auto, just from knowing their WAAY different beasts) you can swap an auto's front ring and pinion into a manual. I KNOW the auto's front pinion shaft is longer than a manual's so you'd have to cut, weld then grind and hope it's straight, aligned and balanced.

FWIW, you'll be giving up your 2K lb. towing capability with a stick!! I burned up my clutch hauling a thousand pound camp trailer for a few months (actually only 4 trips and one maneuvering backwards up a slight grade in the driveway).

Largely toasted it backing it up the gravel pad in my driveway... Maybe 15K on the clutch, probably not even that much, and it was done!!!

DSC01680.JPG

DSC01211.JPG

My wife's 03 (EJ25, 5MT) OBS could pull waaay better than my EJ22 5MT could, and they're both 3.90 [then]

DSC03213.JPG

I'm just sayin' . . . . . . .

If you like towing (and I know you do, get a newer 4EAT (4.44) or if you want a stick, get a forester 5MT and you'll be psyched!! No rear diff stuff, better highway 5th (than an OB's 5MT). It'll be easy, cheap and good! I'm pretty sure manual 4.11s drive differently and are more responsive than auto 4.11s.

it's our problem free philosophy, hakuna matata!!:banana:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejEVczA8PLU

Edited by superu

Looking at the gear ratio charts, it looks like the FXT box has a pretty sweet 5th gear on the highway. It actually doesn't... It has to have that long gear with the 4.44 diffs, but in reality the final drive on 5th gear ends up lower than on a 4.11.

My friend with the 2.5rs us turning like 3800 at 70 on the highway...

Superu, Good useful post!

Hakuna matata, what a wonderful phrase! ;)

:headbang:

here's more on my gearing experiences...

026.gif026.gif 4.11s are great with 27" tires!!! 026.gif026.gif

I do notice a lil difference in the seat and I sure do in the shifting (a little quicker from 1 to 2 than with the 3.90s, but overall it revs up faster in all gears, i.e. more torque, better acceleration), more accurately the LACK of downshifting on grades I couldn't pull previously without downshifting in the stock 3.90 FD.

EJ22 with 3.90 FD (turning 27" ATs), 70 MPH @ 3000 RPM (Actual speed 75MPH but VERY weak 5th gear with respect to hills!)

Legacy_70mph_3000RPM.jpg

EJ22 with 4.11 FD (99 OB 5MT), 65 MPH @ 3000 RPM

4-11s%2065mph%203000%20rpm.jpg

EJ22 with 4.11 FD (99 OB 5MT), 70 MPH @ 3250 RPM

4-11s%2070mph%203250%20rpm.jpg

EJ22 with 4.11 FD (99 OB 5MT), 75 MPH @ 3500 RPM

_Preview_.jpg

EJ22 with 4.11 FD (99OB 5MT), 80 @ 3750ish

_Preview_-.jpg

If I remember (totally verifiable with the tranny chart), the stock 3.90 FD 5MT in my 95 leggo had a .780 ratio in 5th and the 4.11 FD 99 (gen 1 OB) OB 5MT's 5th is .871, with 1-4 being the same. Thus a slightly higher (to the tune of about 250) RPM in same speed in 5th. BUT the forester 5MTs are 4.11 and maintain the .780 5th (As do some RSs I believe).

I hear there were some internals changes in the 99 OB 5MT (mine's a limited trim line OB), and a little shell difference in those generations rom my 95, but the box fit fine (a little tighter from the top of the gearbox to the tunnel in the car, but we snugged it in place fine)

So, there ya go :burnout:

I think the outback is the only one that got the stupidly short 5th gear. They had a valid point, but it was just too short.

I had a legacy with ej22 and 3.90 gears, it was a total dog. I think 4.11s would have been much better with that same gearset (which is everything besides OBW transmission).

The other oddity... if you get a 94 impreza awd box, it's 4.11 but has weird gear ratios.

Kind of a nice Subaru pdf!

http://www.northursalia.com/techdocs/pdf/transmission/4eat.pdf

Good read aswell, Wish they had page 12 on their site, since that covers the Low/Reverse Clutch with pictures ect..

http://www.transmissiondigest.com/tech/TD200607/Tech%20Spk%2007_06%20HTML/Tech%20Speaking%20HTML.htm

Edited by TheLoyale

Just wait for me to buy a newer Outback this summer and you can buy my Brighton and have all the 5 speed swap stuff you need. Or swap your good stuff into my car as it has a better body (no rear crunch) and working AC.

If you want 4.44 gears, if the front diff doesn't bolt up you could probably swap out the ring and pinion and do it "the hard way". Rear, as you know, is just a simple swap. Having bumped my tires up to 26.5 inches, wish I had 4.11s with the 5MT instead of the 3.9s, 4.44s might be a bit much.

I can't wait that long, I either need to strip this car, part it out and junk the shell, or get a trans, swap it in and be back on the road. Either way, I need something done within the next month, cause I can not keep logging all the miles on the FJ80, I have a leaking front axle seal which leaks into my hub/brifield, so I need to keep checking my Knuckle grease and Diff oil.

So either way, I need to get going on my next move. I know I should have sold this car when I could have... Damn. :Flame:

Let's shoot for weekend of Feb 3rd, will that work?

Sooner the better, so yeah! I'm going to get the tranny on Friday the 3rd, do this on Saturday 4th?

I'll be ready to go, so you can swing by at 8am if ya want. Gonna have to put the Trans, 3ton jack, in the Ram.

If you have a old tire w/o rim, we could cradle the trans from moving (Also so the pan doesn't get crushed.)

I bought RTV Black (High-Temp Max Oil Resistance) I am going to drop the pan the day I get the trans, clean it out, check what I can, then reseal the pan.

Also, when we have the motor out, I might as well reseal the backing plates on the motor (I am not touching the Rear Main)

I think we can get all this done in about 6 hours, as I ain't going to take my willy nilly time, I'ma bust rump roast cause I hate the cold :Flame:

:headbang:

here's more on my gearing experiences...

026.gif026.gif 4.11s are great with 27" tires!!! 026.gif026.gif

I do notice a lil difference in the seat and I sure do in the shifting (a little quicker from 1 to 2 than with the 3.90s, but overall it revs up faster in all gears, i.e. more torque, better acceleration), more accurately the LACK of downshifting on grades I couldn't pull previously without downshifting in the stock 3.90 FD.

EJ22 with 3.90 FD (turning 27" ATs), 70 MPH @ 3000 RPM (Actual speed 75MPH but VERY weak 5th gear with respect to hills!)

Legacy_70mph_3000RPM.jpg

EJ22 with 4.11 FD (99 OB 5MT), 65 MPH @ 3000 RPM

4-11s%2065mph%203000%20rpm.jpg

EJ22 with 4.11 FD (99 OB 5MT), 70 MPH @ 3250 RPM

4-11s%2070mph%203250%20rpm.jpg

EJ22 with 4.11 FD (99 OB 5MT), 75 MPH @ 3500 RPM

_Preview_.jpg

EJ22 with 4.11 FD (99OB 5MT), 80 @ 3750ish

_Preview_-.jpg

If I remember (totally verifiable with the tranny chart), the stock 3.90 FD 5MT in my 95 leggo had a .780 ratio in 5th and the 4.11 FD 99 (gen 1 OB) OB 5MT's 5th is .871, with 1-4 being the same. Thus a slightly higher (to the tune of about 250) RPM in same speed in 5th. BUT the forester 5MTs are 4.11 and maintain the .780 5th (As do some RSs I believe).

I hear there were some internals changes in the 99 OB 5MT (mine's a limited trim line OB), and a little shell difference in those generations rom my 95, but the box fit fine (a little tighter from the top of the gearbox to the tunnel in the car, but we snugged it in place fine)

So, there ya go :burnout:

I wished my outback right now would be that rpm at 80 mph.. no 5th gear gives me like 5000.. I'm waiting for my income tax so I can go get a replacement transmission.. just to keep up at 80 mph (I don't do that all the time) I'm estimating I'm getting about 16 mpg with the EJ25.

Since I'm most likely going to crack up the replacement tranny I was thinking about throwing in a front LSD at the same time..

I can't find one rear LSD for the R160.. well at least any decent used stuff. And I'm not talking about the wimpy Subaru.

Ahh, I forgot yours isn't an outback.

My 98 LGT doesn't have a speed govener. And they changed the speedo from 140 to 120 (for some reason). I don't actually know how fast it goes.

**** TESTED ON A CLOSED TRACK OF COURSE :rolleyes: ****

It goes WAAAY faster than 120... The speedo needle goes down to where the warning lights are....

My 96 legacy L was governed to 112, though.

I wished my outback right now would be that rpm at 80 mph.. no 5th gear gives me like 5000.. I'm waiting for my income tax so I can go get a replacement transmission.. just to keep up at 80 mph (I don't do that all the time) I'm estimating I'm getting about 16 mpg with the EJ25.

Since I'm most likely going to crack up the replacement tranny I was thinking about throwing in a front LSD at the same time..

I can't find one rear LSD for the R160.. well at least any decent used stuff. And I'm not talking about the wimpy Subaru.

Swap in a forester 5MT! 4.11s and a better overdrive 5th (.780 I believe, compared to the OB .871)

I've only seen a vouple gen 1 legacy LSDs in yards. I found my CLSD here, but PAID $$$ for it! :-\

it rocks though :burnout:

What would you pay for TW10, Comes with everything and will have a working transmission.

I am thinking of listing it for $1,500 on CL come summer time in order to get into an FJ60. Does $1,500 sound to steep to a non Subaru person for a car that has 224,000? The car is always ready to go, besides this trans issue at the moment.

Just seeing what ya'll would pay for this thing, knowing everything thats been done and added to it.