Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '95 Legacy: Trashwagon10

TheLoyale

Removed Rack to repaint it, Still rackless as its been raining all day today..

0607002033.jpg

haha, that looks weird, F the rain today! i had to drive in it twice, and in between the 2 i did some fiberglassin'.. LOL.:mad:

we should have 2 good days comin up to get stuff done. (sunny days that is)

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Painted the Alloys flat white (Engine Enamel) and repainted the rack and rails.

Soon to come:

Outback Struts/Springs (New)

General Grabber AT2s

Paint this rig up in Trashwagon colors yo.

I'm gonna order the springs by Friday from Subarupartsforyou.com and then just order new KYB GR2s from Rockauto next pay period.

Stay tuned and I will get some more random pictures later on this week.

Update:

Painted the Alloys flat white (Engine Enamel) and repainted the rack and rails.

Soon to come:

Outback Struts/Springs (New)

General Grabber AT2s

Paint this rig up in Trashwagon colors yo.

I'm gonna order the springs by Friday from Subarupartsforyou.com and then just order new KYB GR2s from Rockauto next pay period.

Stay tuned and I will get some more random pictures later on this week.

NICE!

Lemme throw in something I just found out!!!

I have yet to post this officially somewhere (I just finished the back strut spring swap 2 nights ago and took photos this morning), but lemme suggest gen one foreter coils in the OB struts... You'll get about an extra 3/4 inch lift (at lest in the back, probly the same in front, but I am not positive just yet) ...

OB left and cherry red FOR right, There's an extra half coil on the FOR spring:

4729492978_28de649659.jpg

when fit into strut:

4728853847_fb1072c8cf_b.jpg

checkit, this is the rear...

95 leggo on 98 OB struts and coils (with worn out 27x8.5x14 BFGs)

4728844273_3cf589a2f1.jpg

4728845701_23ab5b170f.jpg

95 leggo on 98 OB struts and 99 FOR coils (with worn out 27x8.5x14 BFGs)

4729955963_8ff198dcb2_b.jpg

4730599574_5b3503ef41_b.jpg

I also used FOR tophats, but when side-by side I couldn't eyeball any real difference b/t the FOR and OB tophats... Given the extra half coil in the FOR spring, there may be a slight geometrical difference in the upper spring perch...

Here's the before (when the BFG's were new, 8-10-06)

3114127366_9cfa3e6049_o.jpg

and here's the after profile from this morning (6-23-10)..

4728853963_5f33dff999_b.jpg

I think, to the eye, it looks more like an inch so maybe i had some inconsistency in measuring.. I did the before measuring a couple of months ago :(

And possibly the before profile pic above is also on slightly uneven ground, slightly. But maybe enough to compress the left rear a touch...

Plus 40,000 miles of wear on the BFGs :grin:

Anyhoo, there's my little tidbit of info...

I'm enjoying following the evolution of this safariwagon, nice work TheLoyale!

Edited by superu
better after pix

Nice Looking Sedan, Yeah I've heard about FOR giving any extra bit of lift, The FOR springs must be stiffer then the OB (Not to mention a bit taller) Well I could go with FOR springs, does anyone have a VIN from a first gen Forester? I'll need it to place an order.

Also, does anyone know if there is a difference between the Legacy Top hats and the Outback tophats? Just want to make sure I can still reuse the Legacy ones. My plan was to reuse the Tophat, Top spring perch off the Legacy struts so all I'd have to buy would be struts and springs. Is the Legacy spring perch/seat the same diameter as the Outback/FOR?

Thanks for looking guys!

-Tom

legacy and outback tophats are the same.

re: the forester springs. the taller spring causes the strut to be extended more, or whit load on it, compressed less. and logically it is stiffer, more tension.

does this, or how does this, affect the ride, driving, handling, and tire wear??

legacy and outback tophats are the same.

re: the forester springs. the taller spring causes the strut to be extended more, or whit load on it, compressed less. and logically it is stiffer, more tension.

does this, or how does this, affect the ride, driving, handling, and tire wear??

Thank you, thats what I figured. Forester springs it is then.

Right now this thing is as bouncie and loose as a Cadillac riding on a pogo stick. "200,000 miles on these strut, I wouldn't blame them" :)

Looks good!. I suggest you should paint the inside of the grille bars orange, but leave the outside of the grille black. The original trashwagon had a chrome grille. I think a white grille would look good, also(with a white bumper.)

I will do the orange grille slats and might paint it white, I have to repaint the grille anyway cause its chipping of (Was chrome and I just painted over it without scuffing it up) I should get all the paint/supplys and you can help me Lol! I'll con you into painting this car like I con'ed Desmond with moving those boxes :-p

JOHN, This car isn't really nice enough not to paint it up - it has some rust that I would want to paint so I might aswell just paint the entire vehicle.