Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

88 Gl Trouble code 14

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 WASHroad

WASHroad

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • Lynnwood

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:27 PM

One long, four short,, Hanyes manual say:
Fuel injector #1,#2, (Abnormal injector outbput)
Only this is a TBI engine?? Does that mean the throttle body injector is bad? This is the car that has no idle(rough) and no power, will run over 2K nice and smooth in the garage, but no power to drive, and backfires.

#2 WASHroad

WASHroad

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • Lynnwood

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:44 AM

Priced a new fuel pump, 239$$ ouch,, so I went to the local P_A_P and grapped up a used one,, 6.95. Swapped it out and started the car, it runs better but still no idle and still some backfire when you step on the throttle. The code changed from 14 one long four short to 5 short, which is just a
engine ID code. I ran it in the garage for over 5 min to warm it up, and the engine purrs at 2K + rpm. Super quiet/ smooth,, now it will idle down to around 1200-1500 before it starts to lope. I am starting to think maybe a bad signal from dist. When I do get this thing figured out,, the engine should be a nice runner.. Oil pressure runs from 45-65 while running. No smoke and no rod/crank noise, Just need to figure out this thing, Why will the TBI not start unless you open the throttle plate? that may help me figure this thing out..

#3 robm

robm

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 748 posts
  • Terrace, B.C.

Posted 14 April 2010 - 03:04 PM

If I were you , I would be looking more at the throttle position sensor, the idle air control, and the mass airflow sensor for the problems. More likely to be in one of those systems than in the ignition.

#4 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,441 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:41 AM

is the timing belt installed prperly? how about the firing order. sounds like timing belt out of phase, or crossed plug wires

#5 ruparts

ruparts

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • dallas, tx.

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:05 AM

Priced a new fuel pump, 239$$ ouch,, so I went to the local P_A_P and grapped up a used one,, 6.95. Swapped it out and started the car, it runs better but still no idle and still some backfire when you step on the throttle. The code changed from 14 one long four short to 5 short, which is just a
engine ID code. I ran it in the garage for over 5 min to warm it up, and the engine purrs at 2K + rpm. Super quiet/ smooth,, now it will idle down to around 1200-1500 before it starts to lope. I am starting to think maybe a bad signal from dist. When I do get this thing figured out,, the engine should be a nice runner.. Oil pressure runs from 45-65 while running. No smoke and no rod/crank noise, Just need to figure out this thing, Why will the TBI not start unless you open the throttle plate? that may help me figure this thing out..

Hi,
reading along this, and your original thread , the problems could be as simple as OLD GAS, almost all the issues you describe are consistant with a car that sat for some time and the gas is gone bad. it only needs a few months to cause these type problems. did you pump out the old gas and put fresh in before running your newly repaired motor? if no , you should do that, and even then it could take 2-3 hundred miles driving to get normal again. the connection at the coolent temp sensor for the fi is a known problem for these cars and if it is not getting a good signal the fi may be seeing the engine as cold and causing a over rich condition when warmed up.
Also +1 for what ROBM said above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users