Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can a Carburetor type engine be converted to Fuel Injection?

Alexx

It's not a straight bolt on - you need to take an EA82 disty, and swap the drive gear from and EA81 disty onto it. That and cut one of the mounting tabs off the side of the EA82 disty for it to fit on the EA81 block. Then you need the entire wireing harness / computer, and everything from the intake manifold up. All the sensors and such. It's been done tho.

Cost depends on a lot of factors - some yards are cheap, others are not. A whole donor car would be good.

Oh - and the disty needs to be from an 85 or 86 SPFI as I recall....

GD

Cost effective depends on what costs are being

compared. If I compare what it would cost me to buy a new car and then what I would lose in depreciation per month, plus insurance, I would be spending/losing between $5,000 to $10,000 a year.

If I plan on keeping my Subaru another 5 years then "spending more than the car is worth" becomes a non-issue.

Alex, you'll get no argument from me.

I think it is a very nobel idea.

Your body is no doubt sound, you like the car

Why not give it a try.

BUT your cheapest way out may be to buy an entire donor car,

we see them go from zero dollars to a couple hundred.

Take what you need and junk the body.

The semantics of storing the bone-yarder (thanks Alexx) while you strip the goodies may prevent this??

My guess is, you may run into things like throttle linkage, sensors other bits that if not acquired could put a damper on the project.

Have at it, good luck.

I'm probably not in the do it yourselfer category as much as I used to be. So my curiosity is based in seeing if anyone on the forum has done it before and if as a result "specializes" in converting carb Subaru's to fuel injection.

I do have a couple of what appear to be excellent carb places that I will probably proceed with, one was the link you provided.

• 2 years later...