Ultimate Subaru Message Board

parking brake slight rubbing

'96 Impreza OBS, 170k

Just put new rear rotors on.

Parking brake shoes are rubbing on rotor hat, both sides, while spinning the rear wheels when the rear is center jacked up. It makes noise even if the caliper is off (i.e. no pads).

Parking brake is disengaged in cabin.

Looking at the engagement mechanism seems to be that the shoes can't be disengaged more, they are up against the stops but the hub is on so can't get in there to see. Flexing the cable at the wheel will slightly engage the shoes.

I think I'll pull the ebrake and drive 200 yds to wear the shoes down a bit. Hope I don't warp the rotors by doing that.

I doubt it's the parking brake you hear rubbing. Every set of rear rotors I put on. You need to grind down the lip (the one the arrow points to in my picture) pref with a DA. These are rotors from NAPA, but I do quite a few every week, any other brand we've used does the same. That lip sticks out too far and rubs. Grind it down. Or make sure the bottom most spring on the brake shoes isn't pulled out some from removing a stuck rotor, and rubbing the ABS counter. If anything though, I'd grind down the rotor. I'd bet that's the noise you hear.

Edited by 94Loyale
retarded spelling error