Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Tranny from 2007 Impreza into a 1999 Impreza

I've found a MANUAL Transmission from a 2007 SUBARU IMPREZA. I'd like to know if this will bolt right up and work in my 1999 Impreza Outback Sport 2.2. They list it'll work with:

IMPREZA 2005 M.T., 2.5L, RS, w/o sport pkg

IMPREZA 2005 M.T., 2.5L, Outback

IMPREZA 2006-2007 M.T., (2.5L), 5 spd, exc. turbo

I'm wondering about the rear since mine is a 3.900 and this might be a 4.111. The tranny chart I've found on here and a few other places doesn't list the past few years...

OK, so I've found one better which is off a 2003 Impreza 2.5 TS which has the same 3.900 rear. From the pictures I've seen it looks exactly like mine, connections, etc... Does anyone know if this one will work?

I have a TY754VA1AA tranny with a 3.900 rear. The one I've found is a TY754VC2AA. The gears are geared a little different but both are near matches including the 3.900 rears

US Impreza EJ22 MY99-01

TY754VA1AA

3.545 - 1st

1.947 - 2nd

1.366 - 3rd

0.972 - 4th

0.780 - 5th

3.333 - Rev

1.000 - T.R.

3.900 - F.D.

Viscous (4kgf) - Center Diff

Open - Front Diff

US Impreza TS MY02-03

TY754VC2AA

3.545 - 1st

2.062 - 2nd

1.448 - 3rd

1.088 - 4th

0.780 - 5th

3.333 - Rev

1.000 - T.R.

3.900 - F.D.

Open - Front Diff

i think you'll find that it will bolt in and work. subaru is a fairly small car company, they don't make changes too often. my guess is the trans housing are the exact same ones.

the only real difference is the middle gears and i assume that this is based on the fact that the 99 is a ej22 and the 03 is a ej25. but it could be that they were going for more economy or less emissions.

I've located this information:

Transmission identification codes start with a "T" and an example would be:

TY856WB1AA

"T" = transmission code

"Y" = that it is a manual awd gearbox

"85" = the transmission classification...in the case of manual gearboxes this number indicates the gear shaft spacing in millimeters. 6-speed transmissions use an 85mm shaft spacing while the current generation of 5-speed transmissions use a 75mm shaft spacing.

"6" = some reference to the transmission case. "6" is used for 6-speeds, "4" is used for 8-bolt 5-speeds, "2" for 4-bolt Impreza 5-speeds, "5" for Forester 8-bolt 5-speeds, "3" for 4-bolt Forester 5-speeds, and "7" for some Legacy turbo 8-bolt 5-speeds.

"W" = transmission specification. "W" is 6-speed, "V" is 5-speed, "Z" = AT with MPT, "Y" = AT with VTD, etc.

"B1AA" = indicates various details about the equipment such as center diff. type, front LSD, etc. and also about minor production changes.

I've located this information:

Transmission identification codes start with a "T" and an example would be:

TY856WB1AA

"T" = transmission code

"Y" = that it is a manual awd gearbox

"85" = the transmission classification...in the case of manual gearboxes this number indicates the gear shaft spacing in millimeters. 6-speed transmissions use an 85mm shaft spacing while the current generation of 5-speed transmissions use a 75mm shaft spacing.

"6" = some reference to the transmission case. "6" is used for 6-speeds, "4" is used for 8-bolt 5-speeds, "2" for 4-bolt Impreza 5-speeds, "5" for Forester 8-bolt 5-speeds, "3" for 4-bolt Forester 5-speeds, and "7" for some Legacy turbo 8-bolt 5-speeds.

"W" = transmission specification. "W" is 6-speed, "V" is 5-speed, "Z" = AT with MPT, "Y" = AT with VTD, etc.

"B1AA" = indicates various details about the equipment such as center diff. type, front LSD, etc. and also about minor production changes.

Wow, post this up in the USRM!

So my question is...???

OK, so I've found a tranny which is off a 2004 Impreza 2.5 TS which has the same 3.900 rear, per opposedforces.com From the pictures I've seen it looks exactly like mine, connections, etc... I do notice that the 2004 has a hydraulic shifter but the I can swap out the cable one I have...

Does anyone know if this one will work? I have a 1999 Impreza Outback Sport 2.2

I have a TY754VA1AA tranny with a 3.900 rear. The one I've found is a TY754VC5AA. The gears are geared a little different but both are near matches including the 3.900 rears

US Impreza EJ22 MY99-01

TY754VA1AA

3.545 - 1st

1.947 - 2nd

1.366 - 3rd

0.972 - 4th

0.780 - 5th

3.333 - Rev

1.000 - T.R.

3.900 - F.D.

Open - Front Diff

US Impreza TS MY04

TY754VC5AA

3.545 - 1st

2.062 - 2nd

1.448 - 3rd

1.088 - 4th

0.780 - 5th

3.333 - Rev

1.000 - T.R.

3.900 - F.D.

Open - Front Diff

Is there something I'm missing? I'm currently still driving with the 1999 tranny and would hate to take everything apart to later find out there is something different or something that will cause problems down the road.

So my question is...???

OK, so I've found a tranny which is off a 2004 Impreza 2.5 TS which has the same 3.900 rear, per opposedforces.com From the pictures I've seen it looks exactly like mine, connections, etc... I do notice that the 2004 has a hydraulic shifter but the I can swap out the cable one I have...

Does anyone know if this one will work? I have a 1999 Impreza Outback Sport 2.2

Is there something I'm missing? I'm currently still driving with the 1999 tranny and would hate to take everything apart to later find out there is something different or something that will cause problems down the road.

Cable clutch and hydraulic clutch transmissions of the same type can be converted. I have a JDM '95 WRX transmission which began with a hydraulic clutch in my '97 Impreza which came with a cable clutch. My mechanic removed the hydraulic hardware and replaced it with the cable version. He had to move the pivot point (very important) for the clutch fork; hole was already in the bell housing casting, but he had to tap it so the pivot ball would screw into the new location. I had already converted the car to a 4.111 rear so that was not needed (can you tell I've had quite a few transmissions in my Impreza?). I don't know what else he had to do, but the new transmission is the best I've ever had in this car....and the one with the lowest original mileage (only 45K).

I'm guessing that the opposite conversion (cable to hydraulic) can also be done.