Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mmmmm, Hennessy

One of the kids that comes to a Wed Subaru meet has a rich grandma. She bought a 2010 Camaro with the intention of driving it, even special ordered it with a AT. Well son and grandson drove it more than she did, so she agreed to pay for the engine upgrade.

Camaro2.jpg

Camaro1.jpg

They plan on doing cams and heads on it next, bumping the HP up into the 650 range.

The engine is to drool over. But (and I say this as a chevy lover) I think chevy could have done way better with the design of the "new" camero. So if I was to have that kind of money laying around, I would have bought the new Dodge Challenger RT and then done something to the same effect to it. Or I would take a 72 RT as well...But the 72 and the 2010 look very close to the same.

But in reality if I did have that kind of money I would pay off all my debt and wife's debt, then go play....Yah here ya go heres your bachelors, and a the bill for it...oh and by the way we don't have a job for you to be able to pay it off...You have till the .... to start making payments. :grin:

Soooooo Rob, does this not fall into that "4000 pound pile of garbage" category you were speaking of the other day??? :rolleyes:;):grin:

The Top Dog Hennessy is 725 HP, and 741 Torques

That = 3.5 second 0-60, and, if you can hold on, 11.3 second quarter miles.

That's super car territory. I'm not saying it would hold in the corners with an Apollo Gumpert.... but, I bet it's just as fun.... :eek::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

I'm not a huge fan of everything about the new Camaro. Like the IRS. That's Corvette stuff, and that's where it should stay. I completely understand, and respect what the engineers are trying to achieve, but, I likes my Camaros with a straight rear axle. Although I've read they still do a wicked burnout with very little wheel hop.

As for the "new" Challenger RT: If I wanted something that looked a 70 Challenger, and handled like a row boat; I'd go buy a 70 Challenger, and enjoy the appreciation. $$$. While I'm not completely sold on the looks of the new Camaro, or Mustang for that matter, I do have to say that the designers of each at least made an attempt at a modern interpretation of different Camaro, or Mustang attributes. The Challenger just falls short of having interchangable fenders with the 70s models.:-\ It also handles like crap, and is absurdly slow for what they think it is worth. :mad: Not bashing Chrysler. I hope they come back, and come back strong. I just don't think that doing recreations of past successful models is going to get there for them.

I saw the Dale Earnhardt JR white/black/orange Camaro last fall. Looked neat, til i started looking at it closely. It had rusted front bumper brackets/bolts, and the rear bumper fitment looked like typical 1970's GM. Among other things. You would have thought they would have made a Dale JR car look nice even close up, but no.

And this was a display car for the new Chevys. not impressed. The windshield washer bottle cap wouldnt even stay snapped shut on it-typical GM quality.

now, Hennessy, thats an impressive power plant. title of the thread made me think Cognac.

That Hennessy Camaro will be like money in the bank, its RARE and has specialness, kinda like a 53 vette or a Z16 Chevelle

Edited by bheinen74

I saw the Dale Earnhardt JR white/black/orange Camaro last fall. Looked neat, til i started looking at it closely. It had rusted front bumper brackets/bolts, and the rear bumper fitment looked like typical 1970's GM. Among other things. You would have thought they would have made a Dale JR car look nice even close up, but no.

And this was a display car for the new Chevys. not impressed. The windshield washer bottle cap wouldnt even stay snapped shut on it-typical GM quality.

now, Hennessy, thats an impressive power plant. title of the thread made me think Cognac.

That Hennessy Camaro will be like money in the bank, its RARE and has specialness, kinda like a 53 vette or a Z16 Chevelle

The 2nd gen Camaro built for Dale JR was built mostly by Detroit Speed. It was also built for the 08 SEMA show as I recall. I've seen some of their work before, and it is pretty typical of alot of famous person "automobile pimpers". Decent looking work done with bottom dollar parts. It is done to look good at the moment, and for the short duration after. Some of those SEMA car builders don't care in the slightest what the car looks like 6 months after the build, let alone a couple of years. Rusty bumper bolts don't surprise me in the least. Go try to find some bumper bolts that won't rust in a couple of driving seasons, and get back to me on it. There are very few companys out there producing decent chrome parts. It's just like buying lug nuts, there are VERY FEW out there that won't crack and rust in no time.

As for the washer fluid bottle; it's probably more reproduction garbage, or original that was cleaned up but distorted by years of engine heat. Of course it pops open. As for you charge of "typical GM quality"; why don't you get back to me when your Brat is that old. At least the bodies of the American cars are still here to have something to restore. Look at any fitment from rigs of that era, anywhere around the world. It isn't going to be good. The Brits, and Germans were a little more concerned, but, not much. Then take into consideration what the car has survived, and you're lucky it's still even around. Most of the cars you see today have had alot of hours invested in decent fitment. It just wasn't a priority at the time, for anyone. Look at some of the old Dodges, they were horrendous...:eek: They were all instead busy making engines that made tremendous power.

As for the Hennessy power plant. It's an LS3. Made by GM, improved by Hennessy. They don't do alot to it to get that HP out of it. Most of it could be done in the home garage by a decent mechanic, a wad of cash, and a Summit/Jegs catalog. Not knocking Hennessy, it's awesome they do what they do. But I just want to point out that it isn't some black magic voodoo they do, and install their own special powerplants. They are still GM LS3s, and LS7s. Just retuned, and supercharged.

As for the collectability of these cars... I kinda wonder about it. These aren't like muscle cars of the 60s, and 70s. In the hayday, most of the cars were done by the factory with very few "firms" performance tuning them. Just a few dealerships like Don Yenko, and Baldwin in Canada, with a few otheres sprinkled in there. Now it seems thats the only way to get truely fully built cars. Roush, Hennessy, Lingenfelter, SLP. They all do the really hopped up stuff now, for the car companies. There are no more COPO cars like the old days. I think that kind of detracts from the rarity, and desireability a little bit. It's just that much cooler knowing that the car company had a direct line in making that car go as fast as possible. It loses an edge once it's left that factory, and been tuned, at least in my book. I still respect the heck out of it, I just think it'd be cooler if the companies were still wrenching the cars to their unpractical limits as a competition with each other.

Edited by 3eyedwagon

I still respect the heck out of it, I just think it'd be cooler if the companies were still wrenching the cars to their unpractical limits as a competition with each other.

This is why I like the ZR1. Chevy does still make high performance cars from the factory, the ZR1 is a prime example, just the "normal" person will never be able to afford it. Chevy is really about the only American car company that seems to really do that now days and it really too bad :-\ Just look at BWM (M3, M5), Nissan (GTR), hell even Subaru with the STI. They all have tuned factory cars that are actually worth something. Kinda sad most American companies got out of that game.

Edited by eulogious

This was from Fri night...

Newmuscle44.jpg

Newmuscle3.jpg

Newmuscle1.jpg

The red Mustang is a brand new GT500.

A older guy showed up in a 2010 Camaro and he was checking out the Hennessy. Said he was going to do the same thing to his, but buy it all aftermarket and save about $15g's.

This was from Fri night...

Newmuscle44.jpg

The red Mustang is a brand new GT500.

A older guy showed up in a 2010 Camaro and he was checking out the Hennessy. Said he was going to do the same thing to his, but buy it all aftermarket and save about $15g's.

Wanna know the coolest thing about this pic? Your car Rob! It's soo badass that your car is hanging out there amongst all that Detroit muscle :lol: That's awesome! Old Skool Subarus FTW!

All those other cars there though, :slobber::slobber::slobber: Good stuff. Sweet they invited you to hangout with your RX! Thanks for the pics!