Ultimate Subaru Message Board

emergency roadside services cv, t-belt, hh/etc

I did a rear main seal on the side of the road once.:eek: 4 hours of hell.

I dont recomend it. but I do belive that I discovered a somewhat easyier way to do a clutch from the experience. I disconected the axles but I think that I could have left them on and still slid the tranny back far enough to get the clutch/flywheel out.

an axle can be fixed off the side of the road with:

axle nut socket/bar

17mm socket

14mm socket

3/16" drift punch

jack

3lb hammer

ball peen hammer

socket extension or pipe(to push axle thru

long pipe or 2x4, 3 or four feet in length

place car on jackstand(broken axle side)

pop the tie rod by installing the nut upside down, flush with stud, and a quick WHACK with the hammer

turn the strut towards the front of the car

place the jack under the STUD for the ball joint, jack it up to load the suspension

use the hammer to WHACK the lower control arm, tp pop the bal;l jount, the preload of the swaybar will help pull it away

slip the pipe or 2x4 between the axle and lower control arm, and prop it against the framerail, push down to pull the strut out of the ball joint hole(and to put it back in)

pop out the axle pin, pull strut away till axle comes off trans

thread the AXLE nut on backwards till its flush with spindle, WHACK with hammer to start it out.

once the nut bottoms out, remove it(set parking brake to hold still)

now use tha round end of the ball peen hammer against the axle, and whack that with the ig hammer to push the axle further. use a pipe or long extension, and hammer to push it all the way thru.

now bwfore you install the new axle, put the axle on the trans end, install pin, remove the caliper, bracket, and rotor, so that you can tap the knuckle to start the axle, then put the rotor on, the nut, toi draw it thru till you can put the washers on

FOR TIMING BELTS install them with NO COVERS, so you can service them without removing the radiator, alt/ac bracket. or crank pulley. the belts can be replaced in 20 minutes