Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Half doors

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,386 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:38 AM

How to make half doors:

STEP 1: acquire donor doors
Step 2: mark your pattern on the doors
Step 3: cut out pattern
step 4: ???
step 5: go wheeling

I decided I was going to make some half doors for my Ea81 toy just for the summer..So I stole some from my parts car.The driver side is a bit dented but who cares?It just got cut up anyway.The passenger side is straight but it has aluminum siding riveted to the bottom to cure some rust.So Far I have only cut out the driver side.I may have cut a bit to much because I think the flat panel sealing the gap on the door is going to be like right on top of the latch mechanism.I probably will need to notch out the plate for clearance.oh well.Ive only gut the driver side door out because I ran out of cutting disks for my grinder,and I haven't gotten any more yet.I do have a question for those of you that have done this mod: How did you set up the opening mechanism? I was thinking of using the stock latch rod, then moving the plastic up enough to get a nut started on the bottom of the rod to hold it in place.Then put something on the rod to press down on.Also how did you get the latch to stay in the unlocked position? I was thinking simply welding the lock rod to the door skin in the unlocked position would work best,unless anyone has a better idea?

I might be able to get the doors finished up on sunday.Not sure though.saturday Im heading up to pull and save to round up some SFPI parts for the conversion..

#2 eulogious

eulogious

Inspiring Subaneer

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • Olympia, WA

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:23 AM

Ask McBrat he did it recently:

http://www.ultimates...ight=half doors

Might be a little different than your setup, but you get the idea...

#3 Jibs

Jibs

Wonder Triplets Activate

• Members
  • 1,720 posts
  • Reno

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:05 PM

Who needs half doors?

Posted Image

#4 yodannyc

yodannyc

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 273 posts
  • Arvada, CO

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:08 PM

Jibs do you have a template for those? I was thinking about something close to that.

#5 Jibs

Jibs

Wonder Triplets Activate

• Members
  • 1,720 posts
  • Reno

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:35 PM

I don't. I can take some closer pics and maybe some measurements for you if needed, but I had a buddy make them for me.

#6 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,386 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:22 PM

Jibs, tube doors would be nice but:

I dont have anything to make decent looking tube doors.That and you actually have to go and buy steel...

#7 rxleone

rxleone

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • Christchurch, New Zealand

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:17 PM

Who needs half doors?

Posted Image

Holy hell that is one cracked dash!!! :D

#8 Jibs

Jibs

Wonder Triplets Activate

• Members
  • 1,720 posts
  • Reno

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:57 PM

Yeah. That Brat had been sitting in a field for 3 years facing east. I got it for free, lifted it and drove it from reno to shelton washington on the same oil that was in it.:grin: Needless to say, it BARELY made it back to reno. Tis no more though.,

#9 KoolKatKodyJack

KoolKatKodyJack

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • St. Helens, Oregon

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:38 AM

does the sand spray you when you turn? that happens to me if i poke my head out the window :grin:

#10 Jibs

Jibs

Wonder Triplets Activate

• Members
  • 1,720 posts
  • Reno

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:12 PM

does the sand spray you when you turn? that happens to me if i poke my head out the window :grin:

Not so much sand as much as rain and water. Driving through orwgon at 6am in a thunderstorm was an exciting voyage up to wcss.

#11 one eye

one eye

I'm A Subaholic

• Members
  • 2,572 posts
  • Mt.Vernon Washington

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:59 PM

Send Will a set of doors, he makes really nice one with cup holders......

Posted Image

That is 3eyedwagons work right there............... he does damn fine work.

Jeff

#12 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,397 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:20 AM

i wanna wheel that when i come over:grin:.....

#13 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,386 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:16 PM

I'm sorry Ive been slacking.Here is a pic of my half doors.I forgot to add cupholders in the doors so I will have to make some when I get the chance.I modified the factory linkage for the doors.To open them,simply press down on the linkage.

EDIT: my engine is pulled so the radiator,overflow tank etc are sitting on the seats.

Attached Files

#14 MysteriousXTC

MysteriousXTC

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • High Point

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:02 PM

this is the design I had been working on, kinda got side tracked and might be selling my wagon so I don' know if I will ever finish them...

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users