Ultimate Subaru Message Board

83+ Brat Chrome Bumpers

Has anyone seen an 83+ Brat with chrome bumpers? I haven't ever seen any. 82's had chrome bumpers but also had the turn signals up near the headlights and 83's were in the bumpers. Brat rear bumpers are different than anything else because they need room for the tailgate to lower, so I don't know if hatch/sedan chrome bumpers work on a brat. (I AM trying, but I have a couple of broken bolts that need replacing before I mount them.) I have seen chrome bumpers on sedans, but they mount different than a brat, as they mount to a round tube/plate combo that was welded onto the body of sedans and some hatches. So did subaru ever make chrome bumpers for brats?

Only in '82. All the Subaru's in '82 had chrome bumpers. Post-'82 the 4WD's went to a black plastic bumper while the 2WD's retained the chrome..... but 2WD and 4WD are not interchangeable as the 2WD's were required by law to comply with a 5 MPH no-damage impact test (shock mount).

So for the front, you need an '82 or older 4WD bumper, and for the rear you need an '82 Brat bumper or take a later one and have it stripped and chromed..... or build custom bumpers (best option).

GD

for the rear, you can take a 4wd wag/hatch chrome bumper, and cut out a section for the license plate. I've seen them done like that, and they turn out pretty good....

And that doesn't interfere with the tailgate of the brat?

And that doesn't interfere with the tailgate of the brat?

no, the interference isn't the problem, it's the plate mount... both are flat on top, but the wagon has the plate on the tailgate, and the brat's is in the bumper...