Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dual Range Swap to an Auto

Going to be doing up a 1984 wagon for the kid to use. It's currently the 4-spd dual range setup. I'm toying with the idea of yanking that out and going with an automatic. Apart from finding a good EA81 auto trans what else is involved? Drive shafts different? Etc, etc, etc, etc?

serious?

I dont think its been done, at least usually its the other way around, which means there should be a bunch of boat anchors laying around for you to get hands on. I am certain you could probably find someone with a Auto and trade your bits, would make 2 people happy..

Yeah, actually seriously thinking about it. I have the Brat he could drive with the D/R in it. Probably wouldn't want to trade the D/R setup......kinda' like the idea of having a spare laying around.

But with the swap we'd be in to pedals and all the other misc stuff right? How about speedo cable etc? You know, all the incidental stuff.

Talk me out of this.

Going to be doing up a 1984 wagon for the kid to use. It's currently the 4-spd dual range setup. I'm toying with the idea of yanking that out and going with an automatic. Apart from finding a good EA81 auto trans what else is involved? Drive shafts different? Etc, etc, etc, etc?

you need an auto radiator , or cooler for it, the rear mounts are different i think, need the flex plate and the shorter crank bolts, you can maybe just slip the clutch pedal off the shaft to get it out of the way if you don't find the right pedal box set. need the correct rear hanger for the y pipe, the auto assembly shifter will mount to the floor ok, but not sure the wiring is in there for the big switch and all. instrument panel indicators will be different. seems a lot of work to go through for not any positive gain. easier to teach them to drive the manual and the know how to, would last their lifetime. i have a ea81 4x4 auto shifter assembly.

for one, you need a different starter, as I think, auto starters are different than manual starters.

driveshaft length most likely to be different. speedo cable should be same i would guess.

instead of guessing , and putting wrong ideas into peoples minds

************ING SEARCH, if you want to give an answer.

passing around i thinks, and maybe's isna doing anybody any good.

The auto transmissions that came with these cars really sucked. The gas milage will go down, the acceleration will go down, and it really makes the car a dog to drive. If you were to swap in a 4eat, then it wouldn't be as bad, but you don't have the transmission tunnel space or the ECU signals to do that. Don't swap in a 3spd, there's a very good reason everyone swaps them out.

Teach the kid how to drive a manual transmission, it's a valuable life skill. Hell, I learned well enough that when I went to get my liscense, I used a manual transmission car. In the State of NH, if you stall the car on your driving test, it's an instant failure.

If you toast the clutch, swap in a 5spd d/r out of an ea82 if you have the hankering to do a swap.

The auto transmissions that came with these cars really sucked. The gas milage will go down, the acceleration will go down, and it really makes the car a dog to drive. If you were to swap in a 4eat, then it wouldn't be as bad, but you don't have the transmission tunnel space or the ECU signals to do that. Don't swap in a 3spd, there's a very good reason everyone swaps them out.

Teach the kid how to drive a manual transmission, it's a valuable life skill. Hell, I learned well enough that when I went to get my liscense, I used a manual transmission car. In the State of NH, if you stall the car on your driving test, it's an instant failure.

If you toast the clutch, swap in a 5spd d/r out of an ea82 if you have the hankering to do a swap.

Totally agree. I can't believe the amount of people in the states that not just won't, but CAN'T, drive a manual. It takes about one or two hours (if that) to play around on a back street with the clutch and gas and get the hang of it. It's not hard, its more economic, you've got more control, and its more powerful. Automatics becoming the norm seems like a step backwards to me.

Its easy, just start by taking off in first, once the car is warm, with no gas. Once you can do that a couple times. Start bringing a bit of gas in. Hell, my old man taught me to drive by not going over 2,000 RPM at all times. Must be how I can get on on piss-all gas. :)