Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Blu had been getting noisey. The donut and flange (I didnt know about the flange) after 267,000 miles gave up. Doesnt anything last anymore?

I tried and tried untill i saw the rotted flange. I called Meineke. I told them I did not want a cat otherwise I would find another shop (the cat flange was rotted). They cam back with 154.00 to put in a sleeve (85.00 an hour 1 hour minimum). They actually charged by the weld. I had it in my mind 100.00. I was there, the car was on the lift, no other mufler shop in town.

I bit the bullit. I hope Blu is happy now as he has been getting jelouse of the justy.

You could have spent $20 or less depending on style on a split flange kit from any auto parts store and fixed it in your driveway. They make 2 piece flanges that bolt together as a collar over the rusted remains of the 2 tabs that the spring bolts used to bolt to. It serves the exact same function, and works well.

If they welded a sleeve in where the springloaded ball coupler used to be, expect cracks to start showing up in the y pipe and the brace between the exhaust and the transmission to shear off. Instead of the exhaust being able to flex right at the end of the powertrain package, it now has a lever that goes all the way to the back of the car solidy attached to it. When the engine moves around under normal driving conditions, something has to give.

Does it look like a solid repair? I've found the muffler shop repairs like this are rather short lived, even less than a year often times. Hope it lasts and maybe the rust isn't bad.

Exhaust is really annoying to work with, particularly rusted out stuff, so $150 sounds like a great deal.

Curious to see what these flange things are you're talking about, any online picks as I don't recall what these might be in the exhaust section?

Split flange:

Uni-Split.jpg

The two halfs bolt together, it grabs onto the bulge left on the end of the pipe where the old flange rusted off, the spring bolts go through the ears, and you're good to go.

That's for future referance.

It was really odd. I expected rust. One head was rusted away, nothing to grab. the other side the hex was intact. No problem. Cut off the rusted head, knock out the bolt.

HA

Damn bolt wouldnt budge, even with a drift and a 10 lb sledge, thats whaen i saw the flange was shot. I wasnt about to go through the same thing on the other side.

I wish i had a torch but no where to keep it :(

nipper

The rust is definitely pretty weird. I noticed that the flange on the back of my cat is rusted fairly bad, but the flange on the front of the pipe that goes to it looks new. Go figure. Must have something to do with the salty mess they throw on the roads up here and how it splashes and sticks to stuff.

Also, I could be completely wrong, but I can't imagine those springs do all that much once they get rusted up after a few years. There seems to be a lot more give in the rubber exhaust mounts in the back half of the system.

The rust is definitely pretty weird. I noticed that the flange on the back of my cat is rusted fairly bad, but the flange on the front of the pipe that goes to it looks new. Go figure. Must have something to do with the salty mess they throw on the roads up here and how it splashes and sticks to stuff.

Also, I could be completely wrong, but I can't imagine those springs do all that much once they get rusted up after a few years. There seems to be a lot more give in the rubber exhaust mounts in the back half of the system.

Thats how mine was !

The springs were fine and still springy. The donut gasket blew out. It is just there as a flex joint.

Split flange:

Uni-Split.jpg

The two halfs bolt together, it grabs onto the bulge left on the end of the pipe where the old flange rusted off, the spring bolts go through the ears, and you're good to go.

That's for future referance.

I haven't seen that type before. Available where?

Dave

I may have to go evil again. The Justy's "direct fit" cat and pipe I got from Walker is neither direct nor fit. The pipe from the cat to the engine is about 2-3 feet too short. I am waiting to hear from walker as to what I am not understanding. Everyone seems to have the same pipe, maybe the Justy or subaru are wrong.