Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

swap ej22 to ej22 wiring problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 99gtott

99gtott

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • chico ca

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:14 PM

i have a 99 impreza outback sport that i bought with a bad knock in the ej22 motor so i found another ej22 and bought it. i got it home and realized it's a bit different. it only has 4 trans bolts compaired to six on the other motor/trans and it appears the wiring harness has different plug-ends on it!? is it possible to use this motor with a few mods or should i find one thats a perfect fit? Thanks in advance guys!

#2 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:55 PM

The engine will bolt up to the trans. You will have to helicoil the lower starter bolt hole as one took a bolt and your's most likely has a stud, or the other way around.

If it is the same intake manifold, you can swap them and the harness will go along with it.

Is the EGR configuration the same? If not, I'd start looking for another engine.

#3 99gtott

99gtott

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • chico ca

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:06 PM

thank you for the info! i'll look into it. any idea about what motors will plug and play?
thanks!
Elliott

#4 97ej22

97ej22

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • mastic beach

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:14 PM

a nother ej 22 try and find a subaru as simaler to yours that u can find at a junk yard or something...and chances should be that it will drop right in but im geussing

#5 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,205 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:50 AM

99 OBS is a phase 2 ej22. they only made them 99 - 01?. i think the intakes are different , or may be the head configuration, than phase 1. 99 was the last year for the ej22 in legos and 01? the last year in the impreza. no more ej22, not even in europe. go figure?

i think you need another engine.

#6 99gtott

99gtott

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • chico ca

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:30 AM

The intake is definetly different! damit! sounds like i need to locate a phase 2 ej22 from a 99? i know this is now my best option!
Thanks!
Elliott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users