Ultimate Subaru Message Board

swap ej22 to ej22 wiring problem

i have a 99 impreza outback sport that i bought with a bad knock in the ej22 motor so i found another ej22 and bought it. i got it home and realized it's a bit different. it only has 4 trans bolts compaired to six on the other motor/trans and it appears the wiring harness has different plug-ends on it!? is it possible to use this motor with a few mods or should i find one thats a perfect fit? Thanks in advance guys!

The engine will bolt up to the trans. You will have to helicoil the lower starter bolt hole as one took a bolt and your's most likely has a stud, or the other way around.

If it is the same intake manifold, you can swap them and the harness will go along with it.

Is the EGR configuration the same? If not, I'd start looking for another engine.

99 OBS is a phase 2 ej22. they only made them 99 - 01?. i think the intakes are different , or may be the head configuration, than phase 1. 99 was the last year for the ej22 in legos and 01? the last year in the impreza. no more ej22, not even in europe. go figure?

i think you need another engine.