Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 speed D/R Issues

So the 5 speed in the Hondaroo is now having issues and I dont know if its cause its mated to a ST1100 engine or cause I beat the snot out of it before the swap. To get into 1st I usually have to hit 2nd first then it slides right into 1st and for some reason attempting to shift into 5 now results in me needing to pull to the side of the road and start all over cause it wont go in any gear.. Are my syncros shot? Could too much hard shifting at my Bachelors party and previous hill climbs prior to the swap have caused this?

Thanks

Orion

Have you replaced your shift linkage bushings? It makes a lot of difference - trust me it's worth the $80 for all of them.

If that doesn't work - try a bottle of Rislone engine treatment in place of a quart of gear oil. It cleans things up and helps with the syncro's.

You sure the clutch is properly disengaging?

GD

Unlikely - but possible I suppose. The shift system inside the transmission is pretty simple. Unless something is bent with the shift rods and forks.... If there were a problem with the syncro's it wouldn't matter if you put it in second gear first before putting it in first. They use the same fork so possibly there could be an issue there.

GD

I used to have a Ranger that had a problem going into 1st. But, it was always the slave cylinder(serious design flaw on Ford's part) that was going bad when it resisted going into 1st. If I put it in 2nd, then 1st, it went in much easier. To this day, I have a habit of going into 2nd before 1st when downshifting at a stop.

I realize that there is no slave cylinder on the EA cars though.