Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 RHD Brat Build~Project

I've been on here long enough, I figured it was time to start posting my progress on my soobs.

86 RHD Brat, I'm the 3rd owner. It has a 4" SJR lift and stock EA81 engine. (Codenamed: "Project: GRENDEL")

I've been doing basic maintenance to it so far. Autolite Spark Plug wires, Bosch Plugs, replaced rear drum brakes (Wearever), replaced front disk brakes and rotors (wearever), flushed radiator and replaced hoses.

I'm getting an Accel Coil tomorrow and maybe a new distributor cap/rotor just for my piece of mind.

Here's a shot of the Brat....

103_0329.jpg

Edited by coylethebarbarian
added Brat/Project name..hehe

103_0333.jpg

Here's the rust issue....holes in the bed. As well as the usual places you would expect. Time for the MIG welder to do it's work!

103_0334.jpg

Here's an issue, the lady who originally delivered mail in this Brat had the back wall cut out. It left some sharp edges that have been covered over in years past with balck duct tape.

103_0335.jpg

Here you can see the full cut out of the back wall. I'm thinking of welding a metal mesh/dog gate type design here. One, to keep the dogs out of the front (not much room in the front of a Brat anyway!) and two, for security reasons.

Edited by coylethebarbarian
add caption

I've a set of Black Allied Armament Wheels that I will be adding with 235/75/R15 Tires.

I'm looking at adding the Head Trauma Front and Rear Bumpers with the full size spare tire holder on the rear.

I've a roll bar I snagged off a early model toyota in the local Junk Yard. It's a solid tubular design, needs some of the rust blasted out and repainted. I'll be adding that as well.

I'm considering constructing a wire mess/tubular bed cover to take the place of the current Brat camper shell. I'd like to make it just slightly smaller so I can put the shell back on in the winter. This will keep my dogs in the back of the Brat.

I'll mount one of my cargo baskets onto the this bed cover design.

Adding a light bar I snagged off craigslist as well.

• 2 weeks later...
how about naming it heinz as in heinz57? or krusty? nice brat BTW

Rob.

Rob~I named the Brat "Grendel" I think it kind of fits, with it being a RHD and all the things I'm going to do to it...although with the current colors-"ketchup" or something like that might work for now..haha

I made it back to Albuquerque, NM with Brat! Drove it 655 miles from Myrtle Beach, SC to Kentucky where my parents live-did the basic maintenance, visited family for a week, then drove it 1500+ miles from KY to Albuquerque!

I'll have to say, being a 24 year old engine, the EA81 performed like a champ-even with the carb. I didn't notice any issues with power until I reached New Mexico and had to climb a few hills through the Sandia Mountains. Of course, it's 5000-6000 feet above sea level here too!

Got to work this weekend but have plans on hitting the Junk Yard next week and will keep posted with my progress and more pics!

um hate break the news to ya...but your going to have to get some new stickers to replace the brat stickers....cos you have a Brumby...

LHD = Brat

RHD = Brumby

(Brumbys are better anyway...not so far to walk to get to the filler cap lmao)

nice to see one on that side of the pond

Man, Brat is a way cooler name. I mean, we're New Zealanders, we should hate the Aussie name!!! :lol:

Plus when I see a Brumby cruising down the road and say "Sweet! Check out that Brat!" people swing their heads and go "WHERE?!?" Brumby just doesn't have the same effect :)

um hate break the news to ya...but your going to have to get some new stickers to replace the brat stickers....cos you have a Brumby...

LHD = Brat

RHD = Brumby

(Brumbys are better anyway...not so far to walk to get to the filler cap lmao)

nice to see one on that side of the pond

That's probably the case, technically...but it was designed here to be a mail truck. The RHD models still have the "Brat" stickers and were and are still called A BRAT here...

Funny you say that...all the Aussies I know call the Brats a "Brumby" even if they are LHD...

I think it's more of what continent you are on, or are from...since my RHD model was originally sold here, had the stickers that say Brat and is for all practical purposes a BRAT...I'll stick with that for simplicity...

Call it what you want, it's an anomaly in the States...hence, that's one of the reasons I named it: GRENDEL :grin:

HAHA sweet brat! im jealous, iv been wanting a rhd brat for so long. its sure a head turner.

Thanks, it sure does turn heads...when I picked it up and was driving it back I stopped in a parking lot to look at my map (I'd taken a wrong exit) and a cop pulled up and circled the car...when he finally came to the right side he rolled down his window to check if everything was alright, and I explained my situation. He just laughed and said, "I first looked through the back and didn't see any driver and thought....now where did the driver go? Then I realized it was a right hand drive...nice truck..."

I was relieved that's all he had to say!:banana:

• 5 years later...

It's not a Bumbry. I had it converted to RHD . To work at the post office. Got the parts shipped from down under for $1,200. Had a great mechanic change it over including the dash. Am happy you are enjoying it. I used to baffle cops at road blocks. It was fun. Cop would be looking in the window at newspapers while I was waving at him from the other side of the Brat. They always just waved me on, embarressed.

• Like 1

Then again to Americanize it would simply require sourcing some "Mustang" Stickers because the RHD Brumby in Australia is actually named after a Wild Horse which is of course in the States a "Mustang", Now that would really confuse the average Person.

Cool Ute (Utility is what we call Pickups) so in typical Aussie slang we tend to shorten names hence Ute.

Here is a good example of Aussie "Slang" a Song by a dude called Austen  Tashus and the song was Australiana which was made up od a play on various Aussie names and places.

My mate, Boomer, rang. Will Walla be there? Vegie might come. Let's go, Anna. Only if Din goesNulla bores me. Speak ill of WarraAyers rocks in. Alice springs into action. Thanks, Warra, ta. Has Eucum been in? Wait until Gum leaves. On the lawn, CestonMarie knows. Leave Jack around a party. Adel laid it on me. Do you wanna game of euchre, Lyptus? Can Wom bat? Can Tenta fieldDar wins every time. Is Bass straight? Swim in the River, Ina. I've got no cosi, Oscar. Without a thread, BoPerish the thought. No cooler bar maid. Where can Marsu pee, AlYou reek of StockadeCook a burra. A pair of queens land in. Crack on to Wumba. Try tomount Isa. Trying to plat her puss. Flash your wanger at herWhat'll 'ey care? Seen a cock or two. Pack Bill a bong. Will a didgery do? Where's the Tally-ho, BartGreat, Barry—a reeferBlew Mountains away. Lord! How? Hey! Man! How much can a Koala bear? Lead you astray, Liana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97YnGQE1q6M

Some translations   Boomer Rang is a play on Boomerang the curved Aboriginal throwing weapon that returns when thrown if you miss.

Will Walla be there is a play on Wallaby a small cousing to a Kangaroo marsupial

Veggie Might come a play on Vegamite thet black strong Yeast extract spread we put on toast.

Let's Go Anna a play on Goanna a rather large Lizard up to three feet long

Only if din Goes a play on Dingo the native Wild Dog of Australia

Nulla bores me a play on Nullabor the vast flat plain between Western Australia and South Australia along the Southern Coast pretty much One turn in the road for a thousand Miles or more

Speak Ill of warra a play on the Illawarra region just south of Sydney in the State of New South Wales.

Edited by coxy
  • Like 1

• 7 years later...