Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Build Thread for my 1978 Wagon...

So I thought I'd start a build thread for my new wagon. So I'll start by posting some before photos.

List of plans for the built for now:

1. Get the motor running much better.

2. Cut away all the rusty metal and weld in new stuff.

3. Fit up a duel exhaust.

4. Strip most of the interior and bed spray it all.

5. Fill in all the dents and smooth the rest of the car.

6. Paint is in a two tone flat black & burg

7. Tint the windows.

8. Fit some JDM fender mirrors.

This build is going to be very minumal compared to the other builds I've done. I'd like to keep it simple and import rat rod style, but not gehtto. I'm sure I'll have more stuff and might change my mind about a few things as the build goes along.

So here we go:

dsc04996k.jpg

dsc04995k.jpg

dsc04994ka.jpg

dsc04989yt.jpg

dsc04988j.jpg

dsc04985ka.jpg

dsc04984f.jpg

dsc04981q.jpg

dsc04980z.jpg

dsc04979w.jpg

dsc04978m.jpg

dsc04977x.jpg

dsc04976w.jpg

dsc04975c.jpg

dsc04974p.jpg

dsc04973r.jpg

dsc04970b.jpg

dsc04997b.jpg

Wish me luck.....:-\

Just picked up a motor yesterday. I'm going to button it up as good as I can, then through it in the wagon for now to get it going. Then I can build the other motor that's out of it.

(it has no compression on the passengers side on the motor & the carb is spitting fuel out of the top)

Well I was going to use the clutch stuff from the wagon, but after I pulled it I found out the through out bearing was bad and it trashed the pressure plate. So I need to buy an all new clutch kit and through out bearing. Then I can drop the fresh motor in.

Well I was going to use the clutch stuff from the wagon, but after I pulled it I found out the through out bearing was bad and it trashed the pressure plate. So I need to buy an all new clutch kit and through out bearing. Then I can drop the fresh motor in.

Will be cool seeing that thing do a rear wheel SMOKEY burnout :banana:

Damn throwout bearing ne who...:)

My RWD Brat had the factory open diff in the back but once I changed the center of gravity, it would light the back tires up everytime I got into it. I had also swapped in the rare JDM EA71 high compression motor with a Weber and the car would walk sideways while I had the frotn end locked up doing burnouts.

I could only run Chevron premium though which ended up making it kinda expensive to drive but it went like a bat outta hell. :eek:

Yeah, I use the E-brake too, it actually works pretty well if its adjusted properly. Poor man's line lock! :banana:

Your wagon looks ill too, great stance, but hows the ride?

The ride is a little stiff. I can't wait to see how it drives with all four cylinders working.

I got this thing running today. I did a port and polish on the heads & port matched the intake manifold to the heads & the weber carb. It sounds really good now.

I'm waiting on a thermo switch for the radiator so that I can hook up the fan (correctly) and put some water/coolant in the system, then I can take it for a spin.

I'll post some photos of the engine bay as it sits now in the next day or so. I've been working on cleaning up some of the unnecessary items. I also got rid of that baulky old style fan and put in a slim fan.

I finally got to take the wagon on a test drive last weekend. It's a ton of fun to drive. It has a lot more pick up then I expected too. I'll snap a few photos tomorrow of the engine bay and maybe some video of it running. It sound great.:)