Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Starting a Business

Dont know how great this is going to work but a co worker of mine decided to include me in his little plan. He wants to restore classic motorcycles. Im all for this cuz im a bike nut. My first project hes giving me. 1978 Yamaha sr500. Pictures soon to come but well see how this goes along. I havent seen it yet so i dont know how bad off it is. He really likes the sr500s but i told him to look at the classic hondas and triumphs also.

Here we go........... all in its former glory.

picture.php?albumid=235&pictureid=2370

picture.php?albumid=235&pictureid=2371

picture.php?albumid=235&pictureid=2372

Its not as bad as it looks though it looks bad. I have the tank and the covers. It needs a carb, light, chain, speedometer, airbox, and a few other misc parts. Motor isnt locked up but it probally needs taken apart. Lots of parts take off but got them in a box. I wish i had this thing at my house so i could work on it personally but sadly.............. well anyways the other pic is of what they are suspost to look like. Ill send updated pictures. Thinking about powercoating the engine and doing a couple other trick parts. This makes the 3rd bike weve gotten since this started. The others just need freshing up but im going all custom on this one.

Good luck starting a business. Some suggestions: Communicate as much as possible if you're doing business with someone. Most folks will rub at some point and one of you will have less business sense than the other...or different visions for where this is going. Communicating as much as possible about concerns, future, thoughts, irritations, etc early on will alleviate big headaches later. I can't stress how often this happens. Most folks don't know and those that do think it'll never happen to them. Be very clear about payments, deals, timelines, etc.

Start small, get comfortable, learn the market before going ballz out on stuff. Tendency is to get to spread out too quickly. Better to focus and get comfortable and learn a small part of the economy really well, then expand rather than expand quicker than your learning curve.

Keep it up and have fun!

Good luck starting a business. Some suggestions: Communicate as much as possible if you're doing business with someone. Most folks will rub at some point and one of you will have less business sense than the other...or different visions for where this is going. Communicating as much as possible about concerns, future, thoughts, irritations, etc early on will alleviate big headaches later. I can't stress how often this happens. Most folks don't know and those that do think it'll never happen to them. Be very clear about payments, deals, timelines, etc.

Start small, get comfortable, learn the market before going ballz out on stuff. Tendency is to get to spread out too quickly. Better to focus and get comfortable and learn a small part of the economy really well, then expand rather than expand quicker than your learning curve.

Keep it up and have fun!

I hear ya, yea were keeping it slow. He has all the machine work and hes close to retirement so this isnt going to move at lightning pace. Like i said mine is the furthest one we have from being complete the other 2 run. Im not putting a whole lot of stock into this as being a future but right now its just something fun i can do on the side. Ive got no money in this only time and hes ok with that.

And yea they do make a dirt bike version of this motorcycle. I hear its pretty awsome.