Ultimate Subaru Message Board

washer switch and 4-way flashers kaput

95 Legacy wagon:

Front windshield washer doesn't work - motor does not run when the right stalk is pulled back. Applied 12V from the battery to the motor and it works and sprays fine. Connections clean, wires look OK.

4-way flashers don't work: turning them on, the front parking lights come on, but there is no flashing.

With time limited, I took the plastic off the steering column, looked at the switch and used electrical contact cleaner spray. No diff.

Could these two electrical problems be related?

Is a circuit diagram for 95 Legacy wagon available on line?

avk and jim, I think you've led me to the answer:

It's my dad's car and I am not familiar with it. I didn't know about pushing on the stalk (I think you mean push it toward the steering column) to run the front washer motor.

The non-functioning 4-way flashers: it seemed to me that no tail lights were on, but small front lights definitely were on, despite any position of the light switch or ignition switch.

I have no repair manual and the owners manual does not answer this question: where is the flasher for the 4-way emergency lights?

when you turn on headlights or parking lights do taillights lite up?If so think its definitly relay.Most relays are either in engine comp with fuse box or left side [drivers ]footwell area .Not sure on this paticular car.If taillights are out when headlights or parking lights on,there is another promlem.Check taillight fuse.