Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 wgn wheel bearing

i disconnected the axle.. pulled the bearings as the inners were bad now to get the new ones back in... i gotta pull that lip off in the back... anyone fluent with wheel bearings?

is that lip threaded? or do i squeeze them back into place through the outer side?

:banghead:

It's pretty easy, actually.

I take it you have the stub shaft out of the bearing?

Next thing is to pull the outer oil seal out, comes out with a little prying. The outer bearing comes out then.

Next step is to pull the inner oil seal, isn't such a pain to get out as the outer one. Then you need to take out the locking ring. It is threaded. Unless you can find the subaru tool to get it out, you just have to pound it around with a punch. It takes a good deal of hitting it with a bfh, but it comes out eventually.

When that's out you will be able to pull out the other side of the bearing. (some times the bearings come out in 2 pieces, sometimes 3)

Then you need to pull out the old race, some are one piece, some are 3, but same idea. Pound it from the outside in. Find something that fits in the race and pound it till it comes out! Just don't bugger up the knuckle. The carefully tap in the new race from the insde until it stops at the outer lip.

One of mine went in nice and easy, the other I had to get pressed. Then it all goes back together like you got it apart. Just make sure you get it nice and full of grease.

. Then you need to take out the locking ring. It is threaded.

thats what i thought:rolleyes:

but i wasnt about to start pounding and psibly ruin something.. im just gonna go to the junkyard in the morning and grab another hub assembly bolt it up and bled the brakes.... much easier for now.. in a month ill get all new bearing and install them now that i know about the threaded ring.. THANKS A TON:banana:

i got mad and went inside after i destroyed the inner bearings..:lol: i was on my way to a subaru meet today in auburn, went to wash the ru and when i left the car wash it was squealing:eek:

man that ruined my day... i broke out the steam cleaner and did some detailing.. tire shined my tires and my engine hoses.. im not winning with buying all these add ons and having parts break.. complete ej22 swap coming next month