Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need thread for gen I brat lift 6" HELP!!!

Idaho_Dirtball

I am having trouble finding a good thread to help me make a 6 inch lift for my 78 subaru brat. I would like to get started on it and then do a motor swap also so any threads would be great for that also. A while ago i found a thread explaining what all the EJ numbers were which was helpful because I do not have a clue what these numbers are, but i can't find that thread anymore. A trannny swap would also be nice to get a five speed. I am thinking the easiest thing would be to buy another subaru and pull motor tranny both but I am new, I don't know what to do. Any help or direction would be great to get my brat started.

Best bet is to buy something else to start with - either a second gen Brat or Hatchback, etc. The Gen I's like your's aren't well suited to lifting or engine swapping. There are lots of reasons why - wiring/sensor compatibility, fuel lines, fitment issues with lifts and newer transmissions, etc, etc. On the whole the Gen 1 is not a good platform to start with.

Find an '82 to '89 GL Hatchback or an '82 to '87 Brat if you must have one. The Hatchback has a shorter wheelbase though and is better for wheeling.

GD

I understand the problem ( I think that is) with the gen I brat but the biggest thing is that my brat is a custom convertible with a soft top that my mom made and she passed away and we had big plans for this brat and she made the top for me and it is up to me to do the rest so any help would be greatly appreciated. I could really use all the info on gen I brats and I am going to make this happen and the help from subaru gurus would make this much easier. Thanks to all who reply with something :banana:

ok so i think the very very first thing you should do is post some pics or email me some Robbie_Terry05@hotmail.com and i can post them for you. Then get ahold of TheBeastIDrive his name is Bill and he makes a gen one lift kit for your car his work is golden and i would garuntee it for life. as for an engine swap i would leave it stock and swap a 5 speed trans into it you can tal kto bill about all that he is very knowlegable about the old gens. hope this help and i meen it about those picks :lol:

Here is a thread by him its not a 6 inch not possible without serious modification but this is bolt on and would look good with some tires.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=106109

Thanks Rob

Edited by subaruguru

Instead of an EJ swap, you might consider a souped up EA81. I don't think it's a whole bunch cheaper, but it's tons less work and the car stays a lot closer to original.

From what I've read, a high compression EA81 with EA71 pistons, shaved decks, a Delta torque or HP cam grind, Weber, and some porting can put out as much as 110 to 120 HP. Even at 110 horse, that's a 50% gain.

I'm collecting parts for a 5 speed swap in my own 81 Brat. Once I get tearing into it, I'll take lots of pictures in hopes of getting good advice on my own as well as making it easier for other people to do. There are people here who've done it before, but I've yet to see a photo spread or write up on the process.

there is a really big crack in the upper portion of the dash which is really annoying. Glad you like the top, the color is not the best but it is awesome waterproof fabric and I was thinking about painting it with fabric paint. I still have some finish work to do to pin up the headliner to the bars I welded in around the top.

If you really want to go with a large lift - it would be better to use the rear end from a 2nd gen as they have a single torsion bar tube assembly vs. the twin seperate torsion bars at compound angles to the body that the 1st gen like your's have.

EJ22 is the standard EJ swap - using an adaptor plate, redrilled flywheel, etc you can mate one to an EA82 5 speed D/R transmission.

The problems:

1. Speedometer has no VSS output for the EJ22 computer.

2. Fuel lines are problematic for the high-pressure injection pump and stock pump is mounted in the engine bay which is not and acceptable location for the FI pump.

3. Externally regulated alternator - wireing will have to be changed.

4. VERY tight fitting the EJ22 into the engine bay. It will fit, but there is very little room on either side making maintenance a hassle.

5. Radiator and fans are also really tight. Can't use the stock fans at all and as with EA81's the solution usually involves a pusher fan in front of the radiator. Kiss the AC goodbye if you have it.

There are other problems but that's a start. It's no picnic getting an EJ into even an EA81 body. The EA71 Gen 1 body is even smaller. Maintenance of any kind other than oil changes pretty much demands you pull the engine to have room to work.

GD