Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What do you have for EJ swap exhuast?

Mr. Brat

My EJ18 is now running and road worthy. I have 2" into a Magnaflow and dual 1.75" out. It is still a little raspy and pops a little more than I want when coasting. I would like to have that deep throaty sound as much and possible. I was thinking about putting a resonator in it. What have you guys done to accomplish this?

I doubt if your going to get a deep throaty sound from a EJ18, but you can try.

My Brat, with EA81, has a custom 2.5in from the heads back to a Magnaflow muffler, Its pretty raspy and loud.

My RX, with EJ22T swap has 2.5in from the DP back to a aftermarket muffler and has the deep boxer rumble. Its actually quieter than when the EA82T was in it.

Mine is kinda in between the deep rumble and the raspy echo effect. I think part of it is because I gutted the cat. I was thinking maybe a glasspac/cherry bomb or the resonator. Just throwing it out there to see what others have done.

Mines all 2" and the cat is not gutted. At first it was just a 24" cherry bomb but that was annoyingly loud, sounded like a cessna goin down the freeway. I ran like that for bout 6 months then changed over to a (knockoff) flowmaster. Better sound, slightly quieter but still loud and kinda raspy and backfired a little when decelerating. That ended up annoying me to so now I'm running an 18" cherry bomb in front of the (knockoff) flowmaster. It sounds good IMO, quiet @ idle and good tone at revs, I'm happy with it now and it will be my combo setup on subies in the future. On my next one I may step it up to 2.25" or 2.5" to make it a little more throaty..

I should have done the 2.25 or the 2.5 like you will be doing. I was just staying with the stock size and didnt know any better. I am going to take it to the exhuast shop today and see what they say. I dont think the cherry bomb that I bought will accomplish what I am going for. I am thinking more along the resonator will do just fine. I will post what I found today.

Hmm, this is a good thread. I have the stock Legacy y-pipe going into the original Brat midpipe. The muffler fell off long ago. I'm sure there are gains to be had with something else, so I look forward to seeing what other people did, especially things that fit:)

Jacob

Right now my wagon has an EJ22 Turbo crossover pipe running above the crossmember (turbo), and then it has a 2 in 1 out cat about half way down the car next to the tranny from there its 2.25 back to the stock ea81 muffler and out. The muffler will be next to go just ran out of money then to do a nice muffler or resonator.

• 10 months later...

well for what it is worth i have had many exhaust systems on my subi. first off my subi is a 95 legacy with a ej 2.2 right now it has the stock 2.2 manifold that has been cut into to separate manifolds and true dual 2" pipe into dual 18 flow tech glass pack which sounds really mean but is loud as hell and i get pulled over alot for noise pollution so i wouldn't recommend it on a car that sees road time. the one before this one was stock 2.2 y pipe with one cat and 2.5 inch pipe all the way out the back with flowmaster super 40 which rumbled really good at idle but was really raspy in revs. and the first one i had was still stock 2.2 y pipe with one cat and 2.5 inch pipe all the way out the back to a cheapy ricer can which sounded great, good low rumble at idle and great low wrx like tones at any rev and it still sounded great even after i beat the hell out of it off road. hope that gives some ideas from my experience.

I found some JDM 4 in to 1 headers & used 2.25in manderal bent exhaust all the way back with a magnaflow muffler & a cherry bomb in between. I also put like 8 coats of ceramic exhaust paint & wrap on the headers too. I feel like it's still a little too loud for my taste. I might still mess around with the setup this summer.

20100807144458544.jpg

20100807144449927.jpg

G'day all!

I ran with the stock L series exhaust modified to fit to the factory EJ22 Y pipe on my '88 L wagon.

Before heading to the snow last year I "lashed out" on a new exhaust setup that also tucked up where it should be with the three inch lift.

Here's some pics of the setup - 2.25 inch cat back with resonator and new rear muffler "to release the subi burble" which the exhaust shop got right. A nice note, not really refined but still sounds the goods! Pics:

p6070004.jpg

^ I was hoping for a hotdog style resonator but this is what I got - beggers can't be choosers! And a flexi joint is a must to stop vibration through the exhaust system.

p6070005.jpg

p6070006.jpg

And a video of the note while climbing Mt Hotham from Harrietville in Victoria Australia - gets a little repetitive!

Love the note and the perceived performance gain if there's actually any there. I know she loves to rev easier! Well worth the money for such a "small" mod! I really enjoy my subi a pot load more since the exhaust - plus the tucking it up under the vehicle again has been very valuable offroading ;)

Cheers

Bennie

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...