Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

I am a new Subaru owner, and this forum has been really helpful, although I didn't think I would need to use it so fast when I bought the car in July 03. First, I had a backing plate problem that needed to be adjusted, then an issue with pinging/knocking, and now I've noticed that the fuel guage seems to be indicating that I have less fuel than I actually have; the guage is off about 2 gallons. Any ideas? I have read other threads that talk about a fuel guage issues in Subarus, but any suggestions/advice? What parts of the car are suspect - fuel sensors or fuel sending unit?

I have an MY03 XS Forester too and the fuel gauge is not accurate in it either.

Here's is what you do:

1. Fill up your tank and use it around town like you normally do and make a written note or a mental one for the mileages when the needle hits ¾ - ½ - ¼ and then again when the bowser light comes on.

2. Do the same thing when you do a long trip.

From then on you can make a mental assessment of how your car is running. I have done this in preference to fiddling with the sensors or gauges.

I also prefer to use the old rule of "If it ain't broke - don't fix it" or it will end up costing you double and being 2 gals out means it ain't broke so leave it alone. :D :D :D :D

My Forester does:

100kms before it move off FULL

200kms to ¾

350kms to ½

475kms to ¼

and 600+ before the Bowser light comes on for a trip.

Around town I fill it up when I have done about 520 - 540kms.

Each time I have acquired a new vehicle, I run the fuel tank to empty, just to find out how good is the gas gauge. Obviously I carry a spare can of gas with me to refill from.

My 2002 Forester ran 40km after the 'low-gas' warning-light came on, before it started to misfire, and stopped my test there. It took about 60L to refill the tank, so it must have been just about empty.

Now I know.

Originally posted by forester2002s

My 2002 Forester ran 40km after the 'low-gas' warning-light came on, before it started to misfire, and stopped my test there. It took about 60L to refill the tank, so it must have been just about empty.

:) You are gutsy, I start sweating when it hits the needle stopper way below emtpy.

For the first three years I had my 00' Forester the fuel gauge was more accurate. The needle would go pas the F when filled and I would always get at least 300km around half and in the end just below the E it would be around 450km.

This last year I cannot get the needle to go past the F no matter how much I filled the tank! I would hit the end needle below the E and be around 400-425km. Brought to Subaru and ... well it' ain't quite broken, is it? was the reply I got from them. I might start a thread on the stupidity of the service department later.

Can anyone post something we (accurate fuel gauge wannabee's) could do to fix this problem. I actually removed the plastic cover to move the needle further up, but it seems to operate on a voltage differrence (generated from fuel pump?).

Hope next year it doesn't get more inaccurate and I run out of gas 10km from a gas station in -40C or +40C degree weather. That would a bit annoying.