Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ECS EGR Lights Finding a mechanic to work on 85 brat in Rhode island

I am a recent cancer survivor . so im not set up right now with time energy and tools... to do it myself.. EGR light came on it ddidnt seem to be driving any different , i dont drive it much 100 miles a week maybe... then ECS light came on last week .. I was also told at oil change i have a leaky oil pan gasket and need a new air cleaner i just got them from pepboys ..

But i might as well have everything fixed and checked out .. Am i better off finding a subaru mechanic or what if anyone knows a place in the Rhode Island . Southern Massachucetts, Eastern Conn. area i could take it to would be great.. Or should i find a subaru dealer would they even know about an old brat... Thanks Its a 1985 brat with only 60,000 i got it with 52,000 on it..

Its been great so far .. Thanks

EGR light comes on via a mileage trip switch at every 60k interval. Under the dash there are three connectors - two blue and a green or two green and a blue - can't remember. Whichever two are plugged in you unplug them and plug in the other matching pair. This resets the EGR indicator for another 60k. It's just set as a reminder to check the EGR valve and passages - but at 60k I wouldn't even concern myself with checking it. At 240k it might need addressed but not at 60k :).

ECS light means you have a feedback carbureted model - which is a tedious chore of a thing to own unfortunately. They are notoriously difficult and expensive systems to repair. It might be something simple though - if you pull the lower kick-panel under the steering column you will see a gold box with a flashing LED (if the ECS light is on) on the side of it. Leave the panel off and drive the car till the ECS light comes on. The codes will then be flashed at you via the LED on the gold box - it will be long and short flashes in morse code. The long flashes are the first digit and the short flashes are the second. Tell us what codes you get and we can tell you what the code indicates - it's probably a faulty coolant sensor or O2 sensor but it could be other things as well.

GD