Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Justy tranny q's

Some of you may rememebr me as the guy that put the injected turbo motor and fulltime 5speed in an old ea81 dl. well, I am sick of hoofing it here in england, and I ahve tracked down an interestind deal on three justies for 400 pounds. the nice one is ECVT tranny, then next one is a ratty bod with a 5 speed, and the third turd is parts only. dude says the ECVT is fresh rebuild, but I am hearing bad things, and I ahve abad case of lead foot. I don't have any tools here so a tranny swap might be an option later, but certainyl not right away. just how crappy is the ECVT and (I am not even going to ask how hard the swap is because thats my speciality) how good is the 5speed?

shout out to shansf and brian and turbosoob

Richard,

Since you're thousands of miles away from your tools, why not just run the ECVT until it dies? If it's a fresh rebuild, it ought to last a little while, at least. I don't know how long it will last with your lead foot (heh heh), you can always do the swap later, if needed.

s/ Dave

well, dave, thats kind of what I was thinking. I was looking for more techy help though. I just checked out the car(s) and the owner says that the brushes on hte electromagnetic cluth are what take them out. However, this thing has quits a bit of rear wheel arch rust. there is antoehr one I am checking out that has much less rust ans is a 5 speed, but it is not white and it does not have a sun roof and is only a two door hatch.

it looks like the motor is half a 6 cylinder. is that right?

And thaks DAve! how is the skiiing??? God I miss it, and I miss the beasstie, and I am glad dave got to see it! that was a fun FAST car with GREAT breaks. I even scared myself with it!

Hey fellas! any ideas on the justy tranny? Like I said, the dude who owns it said the clutch brushes go bad, but I ahve heard bad things on other sites about it just failing. could it be the brushes and nothing else?

PS is it half a sux six banger? the valve covers look like regualr sube issue ea82

The ECVT has issues with the magnaized "dust" used inside it. What happens most of the time is the tranny gets overheated, and the "dust" loses it's magnetic properties - bit by bit, the tranny is rendered useless. An auxilery tranny cooler would be a good idea, but since the tranny uses no fluid, I'm not sure how you would accomplish that - maybe run some sort of coolant through a cooler attached to it.... Subaru still makes ECVT's - just not in any US models.... mostly for the japanese "mini" cars.

GD

gday! thanks for the reply. I gave up on the ratty rusty justy and just slapped 500 gbp (sterling) on a 92 legacy sedan 2.0 injected, 4x4, abs and power stearing. needs a t-belt, axel boots and some cranc seals seals and a clutch adjustment. So, I guess I am moving to the newer generation section

actually dave, I have no itnentiuons of messing with this one. its a 2.2 legacyt, so it can ctually get out of its own way. and it is already fuel ink\jected so I don't have to do that either. it is a sube though, so the y pipe needs welding and the drive sahfts are ****ed.

• 7 months later...
Hey Richard! Good to see you again. You did the right thing by getting the Legacy. The ECVT Tranny's are junk from what ive heard. Is your Legacy 5spd?

-Brian

yes its a 5 speed, but no turbo. (you lucky dog) I bet your cars is bad rump roast, how much did it cost? jsut for when we get back.....

I paid $1350 for the car, and another $1100 to have a clutch put in. The car is being parted out in the next couple weeks and I'll be replacing it with a 1987 RX Coupe.

The Turbo Leg has done very well. If it werent for the front end being completly mangled (steering, fender, tires, brakes) i would keep it. I just feel unsafe cruising at 90 when the car likes to drift on its own.

So yeah, when will we see you in the states again? I gotta get ahold of shannon, havent talked to him in a while.

-Brian