Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Custom Stereo Install Question/Installation "Build"

So I was looking around for something else like the speaker grill to cover my stuff up, and I found this site, which is actually local to me! So I can save on shipping and get it right away when I am ready. But I don't really know what thickness to get. The nice thing is that it's "local" so I can go look at the actual product before buying, so that's cool.

I am looking at 1/8" steel perforated sheet with 1/8" holes staggered. I will get the 12"x36" sheet and cut it into two pieces. Here's the link:

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=13505&step=4&id=1004&top_cat=0

But I don't know if 1/8 is too thick? I want something strong and durable that will hold up over time and support some weight, nothing major, but bags of food, luggage if need be, that sort of thing. I realize that when the ti is covered I can't blast it because of lack of air flow, but I don't want the grill to collapse on the ti either.

Here is the 1/16 version, but this stuff might not be thick enough…

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=13516&step=4&id=1004&top_cat=0

Same thing, just half as thick. What do you guys think? Ultimately I will go down and check both out and see which one I like. Price could be a factor as well :brow: The 1/16 is half the price. Hell I might just go with the thinner stuff, and if I don't like or it doesn't work because it's too thin, I can just buy the thicker stuff later… Either way, I think that I will go with this stuff. It's steel, so I will have to paint it, but getting some good paint that won't flake easily shouldn't be a problem.

Any suggestions on paint?

Thanks all!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my 12 today and installed it, temporarily. I am still waiting on my binding posts to come, should be tomorrow. For the mean time, I just drilled holes that were smaller than the binding post and pushed some wire through. It works, it's not completely sealed, but it still gets loud :) I also haven't add the trim piece since it will be coming out one more time...

Last%20Import%20-%207.jpg

Last%20Import%20-%208.jpg

It's ALOT louder than my 8! You feel it more in your chest now :) I like it alot so far, but it's only been in for a few hours, so only time will tell. I still need to carpet the box as well, but that's not going to happen for a little while.

I also started working on a bezel for my radio to get rid of the "homemade" one that the previous owner did. I still have a lot of sanding to do, but you get the idea.

Last%20Import%20-%202.jpg

Last%20Import%20-%203.jpg

Last%20Import%20-%204.jpg

Slowly but surely I am making progress!

I forgot to mention that the sub actually ended up being dual 4ohm, instead of dual 2ohm. This actually worked out better, since I got the ti400.2 and it's 2 ohm stable for sure, I really don't care that the sub is running at 2ohm, infact I am glad! This way I can get a little more power out of the 400.2 :) Forgot to add that in there...

Got my binding post in the mail today and installed them.

I like these alot! They look awesome and professional :)

Pics!

Here's what's in the package:

IMG_0767.JPG

Here it is before hammering it down:

IMG_0769.JPG

In:

IMG_0771.JPG

IMG_0772.JPG

This is my one gripe I have about these. Since these binding posts accept up to 8awg wire, you would think that the soldering tabs would also except 8awg wire as well, because if you are running 8awg to the box, you will also want 8awg to the speaker as well. But the tabs don't accpet 8awg! Maybe 16awg, but not even the 12awg that I am using! Kinda stupid if you ask me. So I had to use lots of flux and solder to make sure the connection was good, so it worked out, but you would think the solder tabs would accept up to 8awg wire, not a maximum of 16awg :-\

IMG_0776.JPG

One all soldered up:

IMG_0777.JPG

Both all soldered up w/heatshrink for good measure:

IMG_0780.JPG

In the box!

IMG_0783.JPG

Finished product:

IMG_0781.JPG

So I will be using these again for sure! Probably for every box I build. The solder tab isn't that big of a deal, just more of a WTF thing. I like the idea of a solder tab as well. That way I know that the connection will always be good in the box. It's soldered!

I really like these and would recommend them to anyone building a box!

I also installed my t-nuts as well, but one thing I didn't think about is getting longer bolts! I got 3/4" bolts, and they are too short to grab! So I need to get 1.25" bolts to make sure they grab :-\ Annoying. Didn't think about the lip of the sub being a 1/4" thick, oh well. Have to pick those up in the morning.

Also, don't go to a name brand store to buy t-nuts! They rip you off big time! Lowe's was going to charge me $1.05 a t-nut! That's insane! I went to my local lumber yard and they had them for $0.31 a t-nut. MUCH better. 3 bucks instead of 10, ya, I will take that. Just a little heads up because I have heard t-nuts are expensive, but only if you shop at the big box stores!

So far I really do like this sub. I haven't had a 12 in so long that it sounds really good, even if it's not the best in the world :) It hits WAY harder than my 8 did :lol:

something like this

http://www.woofersetc.com/p6683/SPT5108--Stinger-Pro-ShocKrome-8-Gauge-Crimp-Style-Ring-Terminals.htm

would have made your jub easier.. You can get the ring portion in several sizes but I would wager that this would slip right onto your binding posts.

Mike

I thought about that, but then I just didn't really care :) With enough flux and a hot iron you can make it work :) I didn't have any of them on hand that were gold and I didn't want to wait, so I just used the iron.

Ok, so I finally got my sub installed permanently! But it was a PITA, and I learned a few things :rolleyes:

First thing I learned when building a box is make the speaker opening smaller, and make it bigger if needed. In my case I should have made the opening a 1/4" smaller and I would have been fine. So next time I will take the manufactures measurements for the mounting diameter and shrink it by 1/4". MDF is easy enough to sand down that so that won't be a big deal.

Next thing I learned is about t-nuts. Never have used them before, I figured just pressing in the t-nut should suffice. Well, it would have it my mounting hole was the correct size. Since it was a 1/4" to big, 2 of the t-nuts didn't grab the wood well because of the lack of wood that just pushing them in with a pair of pliers wasn't enough. So of course after tightening every bolt down but the last one, I go to the last one, and it spins :-\ So I had to remove the sub and try again. So when I did it again, I used a washer to tighten the t-nut in using a bolt, and after I did that I had no issues.

I also learned to buy the correct bolt length :rolleyes: It sucks when you buy 3 different sizes of bolts till you find the correct length. Annoying. Stupid trim piece...

So I would say all in all it was a good learning experience :lol: I am glad I did it though. This is the first time I have built/designed a box on my own so now I know what I need to do to make building the next one go alot smoother :D

I haven't carpeted the box yet, because I really don't know how to do it, and I don't have any money for another week. So eventually the box will get carpet, but for now it's done!

I haven't carpeted the box yet, because I really don't know how to do it, and I don't have any money for another week. So eventually the box will get carpet, but for now it's done!

Carpeting a sub or speaker box is dead easy. Just like wrapping a christmas present :)

Set your carpet on the floor, outer side DOWN. put your box on top of the carpet in the center of the piece. You can trace around the outline of the box with a sharpie or chalk. Once you've marked one side out, roll the box onto another side and mark that out. Continue doing this until you have all sides marked out and you'll have a flat pattern drawn on the carpet which you can then cut out.

It should look similar to this one except you won't have the little angled pieces (you can put them in if you want to but they'll overlap and the carpeting won't be smooth)

picture-11.png

Use spray adhesive to attach the carpet to the box.

Plan on removing the sub from the box, carpeting the box, and then cutting the circle out of the carpet where it covers the speaker hole and re-mounting the sub. That'll make it MUCH easier than trying to get the carpet edges to line up right with the speaker installed.

Carpeting a sub or speaker box is dead easy. Just like wrapping a christmas present :)

Set your carpet on the floor, outer side DOWN. put your box on top of the carpet in the center of the piece. You can trace around the outline of the box with a sharpie or chalk. Once you've marked one side out, roll the box onto another side and mark that out. Continue doing this until you have all sides marked out and you'll have a flat pattern drawn on the carpet which you can then cut out.

It should look similar to this one except you won't have the little angled pieces (you can put them in if you want to but they'll overlap and the carpeting won't be smooth)

picture-11.png

Use spray adhesive to attach the carpet to the box.

Plan on removing the sub from the box, carpeting the box, and then cutting the circle out of the carpet where it covers the speaker hole and re-mounting the sub. That'll make it MUCH easier than trying to get the carpet edges to line up right with the speaker installed.

Thanks man! That makes sense on what I need to do, now I just need to make it happen. I will probably hit up one of the guys over on my PG forums and see if they can help me out. At least walk me through it the first time.

There is another way somewhere on youtube though I haven't tied it and I didn't think to bookmark the link..

Before you carpet the box why not cut one more piece of MDF the size of your box and cut the woofer hole smaller (I would enlarge the too big cut out first so that you don't need to get longer bolts for your T-nuts). Like a plate except that you still need to glue and screw it together.. I have fixed a few oopsies that way so that I didn't have to start from scratch. It will make minimal difference in the sound of your sub and a little bit of polyfil will fix the rest as well as help subdue standing waves.

Mike

There is another way somewhere on youtube though I haven't tied it and I didn't think to bookmark the link..

Before you carpet the box why not cut one more piece of MDF the size of your box and cut the woofer hole smaller (I would enlarge the too big cut out first so that you don't need to get longer bolts for your T-nuts). Like a plate except that you still need to glue and screw it together.. I have fixed a few oopsies that way so that I didn't have to start from scratch. It will make minimal difference in the sound of your sub and a little bit of polyfil will fix the rest as well as help subdue standing waves.

Mike

I thought about using another piece of wood, but really didn't want to go down that route, since I don't have a saw handy, it was a little more complicated to do that right away :rolleyes: If I have problems removing the sub and getting back in, I will probably do that, but right now it's and and sealed nice and tight, so I am not too worried about it.

I will have to search youtube for the carpet video, that will probably help out a lot :) Thanks for the idea!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so it's been a while, but I have been doing stuff. Work has been busy lately.

I ran two new sets of RCA's for my setup. Since I did that I was able to install my amps the way I wanted to for a while but have been unable to do to the RCA's being too short. So that made me happy. I need to pick up some blue 4awg wire, I am running silver ground wire, because that's all I have for now that will reach, so once I get paid I will pick some of that up.

I have also drawn out my stereo surround on some spare mdf, I just need to cut it, and then sand it down. I might do that this week...

I traded my wii for a new amp as well that will match my other one, and I have a bass cube that should be coming to me, and hopefully a really nice fuse/distro block should be headed my way here real soon. The basscube should really add some bass to some of my music that is missing bass! Here's a review of the basscube and it explains what it is, if anyone cares Linky

I love forums and trading stuff!

Just wanted to know why the bass cube specifically? It is just a bass restoration devise. There are plenty out there currently. In all honesty if you are lacking bass it is usually one of a few things. Improper box IE size, ported when it should be sealed or vice versa.... not enough power ( I do believe that is not your problem ) or a poor choice for a sub since there are several types SQ SPL and SQL. Bass restoration whith most of the things listed could invariably affect the longevity of your subwoofer. Just a final thought the more electronics you put between your source and the driver the more noise and distortion played by the driver. I am not trying to bash you by any means and I do hope it turns out as you plan.

Mike

Just wanted to know why the bass cube specifically? It is just a bass restoration devise. There are plenty out there currently. In all honesty if you are lacking bass it is usually one of a few things. Improper box IE size, ported when it should be sealed or vice versa.... not enough power ( I do believe that is not your problem ) or a poor choice for a sub since there are several types SQ SPL and SQL. Bass restoration whith most of the things listed could invariably affect the longevity of your subwoofer. Just a final thought the more electronics you put between your source and the driver the more noise and distortion played by the driver. I am not trying to bash you by any means and I do hope it turns out as you plan.

Mike

Ah, you are thinking of the epicenter, not the cube. The bass cube is a parametric eq, not a "bass restoration device". I don't want to ADD bass, just boost it slightly, which is where the parametric eq comes in. I am not "lacking" any bass at all! When I throw on some Hollywood Undead, my teeth feel like they are going to rattle out of my head! But Metallica's bass drums just don't sound the same as lets say Tool's do, due to the recording itself, not my system.

To quote from the article I linked to:

The BassCUBE (Constant Useable Bass Enhancement) is basically a single-band parametric bass-boost/level controller which will allow you to select a frequency between 20 and 110 Hz and apply a gain from 0 to 15 dB on that band. It allows you to select between a narrow Q (for ported/bandpass systems) and a wide-Q (for overall tweaking of a sealed system). These two settings affect how much the frequencies on either side of the center frequency you select are boosted, or the "width" of the boost, with gradual falloff. Also featured is a switch to go between a fixed or tracking 18dB/Oct subsonic filter, which is another option that allows you to tweak this unit between a Ported/Bandpass and Sealed system. The fixed subsonic filter is just that, and is used for sealed systems, where a tracking filter can be applied for a ported/bandpass setup, to save your speakers from damage when going below the tuning frequency of your ports.

The epiccenter, a "bass reproducer", is really a "sub-harmonic synthesizer". It's designed to literally add bass notes to the music that were not there before, because the music industry cut all frequencies below 55hz off all records, and really didn't start allowing all the frequencies into a recording until the media that the recordings were put onto had the space to allow it. So a "sub-harmonic synthesizer" adds that bass below 55hz. This is not what I want at all. I do not need LOWER bass, just LOUDER bass :) and that is where the bass cube comes in to play.

One of the other benefits of the basscube is the 18dB/Oct subsonic filter. This cuts off lower frequencies that the sub can't handle, preventing damage to the sub.

With the music I listen too, lot's of classic rock, metal, alternative, some pop, some rap, and when the wife is in the car, country, so I want the ability to boost the low end if it is lacking, especially considering the wide range of music I listen to. And probably the coolest part about the basscube is that the basscube allows you to adjust the frequency that's boosted on the fly, same with the gain, so that I can change the frequency spectrum that is boosted, and the amount of boost applied to that spectrum, all from the comfort of my front seat :grin:

As for make the sound "muffling" that is caused by some of the lesser quality devices, I will quote the review again:

One thing I love about the performance of this unit, is that the gain is very clean. Most bass-boosts will colour or completely muffle the sound of your bass, but I found this unit will allow you to at least add a 8dB - 12dB boost to the bass without coloration or that dreaded muffling. It really can put the "heart" back into weaker bass samples. The key to achieving this is to set the gains on the outputs from your source unit to the CUBE very low. I do believe this unit has more advanced processing than your standard head-unit bass controls, or a simple parametric gain. Since bass samples from music vary so much, you always want a little more or a little less - the easiness of using this unit when driving is phenomenal, especially if you can mount it on the dash near the steering wheel somewhere, within easy reach.

This statement has been said from just about everyone I have talked with about the basscube as well, so it really doesn't do anything to the sound.

So that's why I am choosing the basscube over anything else available, because there really isn't anything else that works like the basscube on the market, at least nothing with as many good reviews. It's also made by Phoenix Gold, and all my gear is PG, so it only makes sense to go with it :) That and I am getting a hell good deal on it, and the guys is letting me make payments on it too!

I know you are not bashing me at all :), and you do have some very good points, ones I thought of to before I made the decision on the bass cube :) After researching it and asking on my PG forums about it, there isn't anything available that I can buy today that does that same thing, just as well. If you do know of any, let me know. It's always good to know what else is available :)

And I will end with the funniest emoticon I have seen in a long time:

HELLICOPTA, HELLIOPTA, HELLICOPTA!!

2ohokk6.gif

Edited by eulogious

• 2 weeks later...

So after doing some trading, I was able to score a very nice zeropoint fused distro, and by trading off my wii, I got an awesome zx450 to replace my tantrum 600.4!

Here's some pics of it all installed:

IMG_0903.JPG

IMG_0904.JPG

IMG_0901.JPG

I really like the look of the zx and the ti's, so now it just looks awesome :D And I really like the zeropoint distro, it's sweet! I had to wire in another relay to switch the ground off and on so that the LED's turn off when I turn the car off, or else they stay on and could drain my battery :-\ Now all I need is an RMD (voltmeter) to run up front...

The only thing that bothers me a little is that I now have blue and green LED's :-\ So I need to change all the green ones (3 on my distro, and the power one on the 450) out for blue ones. I found these to replace them:

http://www.unique-leds.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=1934

I am thinking about replacing both fans as well, but I am unsure if I am going to do that right now. Having two blue LED fan's would look sweet, so I probably will do that at some point down the road. When I do, here's the fans I am going to use (thanks db!):

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=36_394&zenid=554f72f6265004c84e9ec1a4031d4d3a

On a side note, did you know that the main LED on the zeropoint distro "pulses" with the music? Whenever the bass notes hit, the LED "pulses", it's really cool actually, and will look sweet with a blue LED in it :D They just don't make this stuff like they used too :rolleyes:

After some more researching, I found this

Pulsing indicates a Voltage drop. It´s time to get yourself a second battery!

It´s not hard to change the leds in the distro but the one sticking out of it is a color changing led! If u got enough juice it is green when the voltage drops it turns yellow and when your voltage drops under 10.5 Volts it will turn red!

So I need to get a tri color 3mm LED to replace the "pulsing" LED. After researching for a while looking for tri color 3mm led's that are blue/red/green, I gave up, I don't think they exist. I also went out and measured the LED just to make sure it's 3mm, and it is. So I decided to go with a bi color LED instead, blue/red. I will just wire it up so that it normally is blue, when it senses a voltage drop it will light up red, and when it's under 10.5v, it will light up red as well. I don't really need three colors to tell me what's going on. I want to get a RMD and wire it off the distro anyways, so I don't need 3 leds to tell me what's going on. This way all my LED's will be blue or red. Works for me! :grin:

Here's the blue/red led:

http://www.unique-leds.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=1842

So after thinking about above qoute, I think I see what he was saying about the voltage drop. When it senses a voltage drop it lights up the yellow AND the green at the same time, make it seem "brighter" when it's really a different color, its just hard to see. Then if it gets below 10.5v it turns red.

So if what I said above is correct, with the bi color LED, it will be blue normally, purpleish (red/blue combined) on a voltage drop, and red on lower than 10.5v. If this is the case, this is WAY better than "stock" and I am doing this for sure... :D

I am still waiting to pickup some 4awg. I think I might also pickup some more 0awg and move my distro to the middle, inbetween my two amps. But that's not until at least next payday.

I will say that this zx is LOUD and sounds fantastic! I thought the tantrum sounded good, the zx sounds even better! It has also made my 400.2 sound better as well. Maybe because I am using 4th order crossovers on my whole system, rather than mixing 3rd and 4th order crossovers like I was with the tantrum and ti combo? Something with the phasing because of this? IDK... I am also using the zx's crossovers for the whole system including the lowpass, so maybe the 400.2 is getting louder since I am not using it's built-in crossover anymore? IDK, but it sounds louder and more awesome than it did before!

I got some more goodies that should be coming to me here in the next couple of weeks, I can't wait to get them and install them!

• 1 month later...

Alrighty, it's been a while, and I have acquired some new things :D as well as having some things fail :(

So things that failed... My alt went tits up on me when I was up in Seattle, so that was good times. I started getting the faintly glowing christmas tree, and I just hoped that I would be able to make the 75 mile drive home at 1am when I have to work a 7am. That was good times. But the subie didn't fail me! I got home with no issues, and in the morning my voltage started spiking with the RPM's, so my VR is out for sure. So luckily my wife was still up in Seattle and was able to stop by Turbone's place (thanks again man!) and pick up a used, good alt from him and brought it to me. That was sweet! I was able to fix it up and get going again in very little time.

I also decided that this was the time to do some much needed upgrades to my charging system, so I got a maxima alt on the way here from GD. I told myself that if the alt failed, just do it right and replace it with a better one. So I am :D I am also "borrowing" my buddies 50' spool of 0/1awg wire so that I can upgrade the wiring to support the added amps from the new alt. I really can't wait to get this alt in. I am so tired of my lights dimming when I turn on my fog lights, or turn my AC on high :rolleyes: So this will be a great upgrade. I really don't understand why they put such a small, dinky alt in. But whateva, that's what the USMB is for :)

Now onto the even more fun upgrades :) I got my bassCUBE installed, and man I love it! It makes the low end so much more full. It's fantastic! I can also listen to the music at a lower volume, but still have bass! Before I had to turn up my music almost all the way to get some good bass, but not now! Since I can boost it cleanly about 12db, it's get's louder sooner! I love this basscube. It's one of the best purchases that I have made. Don't know why I didn't have one before, but I am pretty sure I am going to have to get one for the wife now as well. She really likes it, and that's saying something. She actually told me to buy her one, she wouldn't give me any crap about it :lol: One more thing to get her :rolleyes:

I also managed to get a RSdC124 sub :banana: This sub is sweet! They don't come up on ebay very often, so I managed to talk my buddy into buying a pair and giving one to me :grin: Granted I have built a box for his sub as well, and I am installing all of his gear, so it's not like the sub is "free", but either way it's sweet :D The box is curing ATM, and the sub will be going in tonight when I wake up!

On top of that, I also managed to snatch up a line driver as well. Got it for super cheap because the neg touched the pos, and the unit didn't turn on. So after getting it, I found that it had a pico fuse that was blown on the board. So after going to my local electronics wholesaler, I was able to get the line driver to work for about $3 :grin: The line driver is cool because it will up the voltage on my RCA's to about 8-9 volts. This allows more dynamic range in the music, and a higher noise ceiling as well. Considering I am using almost all of my 20' of RCA's in my car, I can use all the help I can get with the signal. My line driver will really help with that. And since I have some device daisy chained in or a processor added in, the upped voltage with just mean a cleaner signal, and a cleaner signal means better sounding music. So for the price, I am pretty happy about it. I have yet to install it, that will probably come this week...

The last thing that I have managed to get my hands on is a zx500 to match my zx450 :grin: This amp is a BEAST! It's rated to do 600x1watts @4ohm, and is 2ohm stable :D This amp can and should be able to put out 750x1watts @2ohm no problem, which is what I am going to do :grin: My new RSdC124 is a DVC 4ohm sub that is rated to handle 600watts, but I know people that run close to 800watts to it all day long with no problems. The subs are under rated for sure! Right now the amp has a distorted right channel and the case is pretty messed up. So it's waiting in line to get repaired as we speak. Then once it's repaired and working like new, it's going to another guy who is going to powder coat it, and then put all the lettering back in place so that it will look brand new when I get it back :D So I am stoked about this gem as well. This amp is pretty hard to come by, especially for so cheap :) I love forums!

No pics of anything right now, after I get my new sub installed, my line driver in, and the basscube remote installed, I will take some pics of it all and post them up, but for now that's all!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey eulogious! Looking to start a build of my own, and thoroughly read up on yours.

Where are those pics of your front doors and components? I'm trying to figure out how i want to do mine. I'm probably just going to do a slim sub in the back to save on dog space.

looks great!

rob

Where are those pics of your front doors and components? I'm trying to figure out how i want to do mine. I'm probably just going to do a slim sub in the back to save on dog space.

:lol: What components? :lol: Are you talking about my hacked together 6.5" speaker in one door and 4" speaker in the other, with tweets that are run through my really crappy JBL "xover"? You talkin' about that lovely setup? Well, I don't have any pictures of it, because it's pathetic :lol: I blew my other 6.5" speaker I had, and the only other speaker I have kicking around was a 4" jobber, so that got thrown in. Then I picked up the tweets for a good deal. The tweets are actually good PG tweets, just the "xover" is really a joke I had it kicking around so I just used it since I had it, but it works and separates the sounds like it should and raise the sound stage up higher so it's not down on the floor. But other than that, it sucks :-\ If it wasn't for my zx450, it would sound like crap, but the zx450 sounds really good, so it kinda makes up for it.

Now if my wife would not have lost her job, then I might actually have a decent set of speakers, but for now all my money has to go towards living :-\ and car repairs, so no new stereo stuff for me for a while. I got some stuff I need to pay off that I will be installing, but after that, nothing new for me :(

It will be interesting to see what you do with a slim sub. There's not a lot of room back there, so it will be good to see what you do. If you are looking to save space, install the amps like I did, it's great! They are out of the way and can be covered up really easily. You can even just keep the lid on the compartment and that would save a bunch of hassle. I just don't care that much...

Wanna do some more custom stereo stuff, I will LET you install it o MY car.:banana:

For real, that is soooo sick, wish I had the material,money,tools,and garage to do bad rump roast project like this....I can't even "work" on my car cuz I live in apartments........:mad:APARTMENTS SUCKKKKKKK:mad:

-Nomad

Bummer man. Hey at least you have tunes... I was working on mine today and had to drive around for a while w/ both disconnected.

Not that they work well even when connected. The surrounds are completely dry/cracked/missing. Sounds like crap.

I'm not going crazy, but probably overboard (as i usually do). I think my components are worth a large chunk of the entire car itself... lol

I took a bunch of pics today as i knocked out a few small projects. got pass side mirror, cup holder, and doors soundproofed (one more pass on interior panel).

I'll get a build log going somewhere to share. Good luck with your setup!!

rob

Bummer man. Hey at least you have tunes... I was working on mine today and had to drive around for a while w/ both disconnected.

Not that they work well even when connected. The surrounds are completely dry/cracked/missing. Sounds like crap.

I'm not going crazy, but probably overboard (as i usually do). I think my components are worth a large chunk of the entire car itself... lol

I took a bunch of pics today as i knocked out a few small projects. got pass side mirror, cup holder, and doors soundproofed (one more pass on interior panel).

I'll get a build log going somewhere to share. Good luck with your setup!!

rob

:lol: There nothing wrong with going overboard :grin: My system is easily worth more than my car, there is nothing wrong with that ;) I will get better speakers here in a bit, I know I will, I just don't really know when.

i am glad that I have tunes, and good tunes at that. I just wish I had more $$$ to be able to play with it more. I don't mind spending money on something that I am going to keep for a while :)

Ya, you should start a build thread, I am curious what you come up with!

:lol: There nothing wrong with going overboard :grin: My system is easily worth more than my car, there is nothing wrong with that ;) I will get better speakers here in a bit, I know I will, I just don't really know when.

i am glad that I have tunes, and good tunes at that. I just wish I had more $$$ to be able to play with it more. I don't mind spending money on something that I am going to keep for a while :)

Ya, you should start a build thread, I am curious what you come up with!

Started one tonight after uploading my pics. (here).

and a bit of a sneak peak - driver porn!

DSC_3973.JPG

SO sexy... it's a shame to hide it in the door...

Thanks for doing most of the legwork!!

rob

Started one tonight after uploading my pics. (here).

and a bit of a sneak peak - driver porn!

DSC_3973.JPG

SO sexy... it's a shame to hide it in the door...

Thanks for doing most of the legwork!!

rob

Nice dude! That is a good lookin' speaker ;) I agree it's a shame to hid it in the door. But the whole point of a speaker isn't what it looks like now is it :lol: I really wish I could get some good, decent components, but hey, you take what you can get! One of these days...

Glad I could help you out a little! That's why I started my thread was to help someone else out if they wanted to go down this route. I knew I couldn't be the only one who wanted good tunes :grin: