Ultimate Subaru Message Board

W series Toyota trans adaptors

bill hincher

lets have some fun >;o)

one of your fearless members asked me about a bellhousing to mate the Sub engine to a purely RWD unit, preferably the Toyota W series transmission, I thought it was a neet idea

the only trouble was is that my main man mellow65 lived a cool 1500 miles away from me, so he sent me some material in the mail

01Subw55.jpg

the first thing I did was to square the rear of the housing so i could set it on its back and get my centers

02Subw55.jpg

then I cleaned out the center section so I could indicate my centers

04Subw55.jpg

this one number is critical to the datum lines

03Subw55.jpg

then I could cut down the rear of the housing to the right length for the input shaft

05Subw55.jpg

after all that, a datum plate had to be built to hold everything in place while building the pattern, the bolt pattern is built into this datum plate and a center locater is placed in it

06Subw55.jpg

the existing belhousing is bolted to the datum plate

07Subw55.jpg

then a center dowel is placed off the datum

08Subw55.jpg

then the front plate removed from a W 58 Toyota trans is attached to the center

09Subw55.jpg

and that gives you a roughed in sketch to work with to build a pattern

10Subw55.jpg

the next step is to build the back plate on the bellhousing

11Subw55.jpg

I want to use a married toyota transfer case for a lifted subaru. Sami cases are weak, and 720's are getting hard to find........and the whole deal is longer than a married unit.

Crawler kit in the T-case and 4.44 LSD difs front and rear.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

sorry about the late reply, yes, I been puttering with my little Sub project.

I build a variety of housings and ship around the world and get a bit distracted

This is for the T 56 to the narrow block 4G63 Mits engine

T56bellhousing0102.jpg

This fits the R 154 to either the wide block or the narrow block or the EVO's Mits engine

75rethinkingr154.jpg

sometimes I can dream, sometimes I can invent and sometimes I can build, but it dont work like an assembly line, sucsess is usually a series of small failures >;o)

Edited by bill hincher

• 2 weeks later...

after the bellhousing was measured and cut down to size, the back of the new housing was squared with the front of the housing

subtoyadaptor.JPG

subtoyadaptor1.JPG

then the new trans facing was put into place and indexed to the proper angle

subtoyadaptor2.JPG

subtoyadaptor3.JPG

subtoyadaptor4.JPG

the facing was ancored and the lower skirt was decided on for the proper drafting while casting

subtoyadaptor5.JPG

then each panel is cut out and replaced to build a conforming justure from the front of the housing to the trans mounting surface

subtoyadaptor11.JPG

subtoyadaptor12.JPG

I cut out the clutch controls and the starter bagage, then reconsruted it to size

subtoyadaptor14.JPG

there are two trans bolt patterns fit into the trans facing, one is for the W series Toyota trans, the other is for the R series Toyota trans, that way it will offer more selection for what you want to do

subtoyadaptor15.JPG

I like to build a little cleaner looking sides and improve the draft lines for the casting shop

subtoyadaptor16.JPG

its important to visualize when reconstructing the starter pocket, that this will shrink by 1% in all directions , so this pattern must be adjusted to a larger size then expected

subtoyadaptor17.JPG

I am going to leave the clutch controls alone until I assemble the whole unit and test the throw out bearing operation, the measurements are just too critical at this point to make a mistake

subtoyadaptor20.JPG

the trans bolt pattern is not traced out for looks, I build a wide bolt flange landing before the bellhousing walls are built as a guide, I need to know the bolt pattern before I can add structure gussets from the side wall down to the trans face plate

subtoyadaptor21.JPG

looks like this bellhousing is tired of all the surgury >;o)

subtoyadaptor22.JPG

I went out and bought a Sub core motor for mock up

subtoyadaptor26.JPG

subtoyadaptor25.JPG

subtoyadaptor27.JPG

subtoyadaptor28.JPG

subtoyadaptor29.JPG

I built a rotisary to be able to move the engine in any position and make adjustments as the build proceeds

subtoyadaptor30.JPG

subtoyadaptor31.JPG

subtoyadaptor32.JPG

I mounted up an R 150 Toyota trans to check input shaft length and some cenetering, it looks like it is coming along nicely

subtoyadaptor33.JPG

subtoyadaptor34.JPG

subtoyadaptor35.JPG

This is awesome!!! Are you going to be selling these?

kinda the idea, yea, once I get done building them:)

depending on the throw out bearing the cost should be in the mid $300.00 range

the design hopes to use all Sub hardware , like clutch fork, pivot ball and slave cylinder flywheel. starter and pressure plate with just a Toyota disc to finish the build