Ultimate Subaru Message Board

W series Toyota trans adaptors

bill hincher

(Finally) got an invoice from Bill this weekend and made the payment for the adapter! Can't wait to get it so I can get on with my 84 Wagon. Already found a few shifter solutions/info aswell so might make one myself pending Bill's work on a remote...

I believe not. I have given Bill the measurements for the setup that I require after investigating the stock available shifter locations (there are 5-6 versions) didn't work for me. I need the shifter to be 27 inch from the transmission facing (where the bell housing adapter mates to the transmission).

These are the stock shifter positions on Toyota W5X transmissions:

- 14"

- 18"

- 19"

- 20.5"

- 21"

- 'tripod'

This last version is probably the most interesting from a modification point of view. It can be easily modified by cutting the shift linkage shaft in half and welding a piece of tube in of the length you need. Then fabricate a new tripod/support and you're done.

I bought a new retainer (that is how Toyota calls these shifter housings on top of the extension case) from Yahoo Japan for 1000 Yen but only found out afterwards it was from a R154 transmission so it's not a direct fit. I will have to modify it to fit.

So you need to look at Supra MKIV non-turbo or Lexus SC300 W58 transmission for this shifter setup.

They look like this (the bottom one, the other one is a R154):

W58.jpg

Edited by LeoneTurbo

I was chatting with bill last night and no, it's not quite done yet. He's still working on it.

I priced out a w58 from the later yeared supras, and they were not cheap, at least here in the states. And I could never seem to find just the tripod set up alone.

But I'm not to worried, something will get worked out.

Oh and also, I just put in my order for my second bell housing. :D

After my car is done I'm sure some guys overhere will want those bell housings aswell. I already asked Bill if I could be the sole distributor for his parts in Europe :brow:

I have been looking for the tripod setup aswell (all Ebays and even Yahoo Japan) but sofar no luck... Maybe Bill will beat me to a good solution.

By the way, the Lexus IS200 six speed manual transmissions (Y160) are cheap as ************ here in Europe, I can buy 4-5 for 100 euros each... Pity Bill's beall housing doesn't fit (although those transmissions cannot handle a lot of torque a 6MT would be nice for normally aspirated applications).

Edited by LeoneTurbo

• 4 weeks later...

After 8 months I moved the wagon out of storage. Time to meet its new drivetrain parts: W57 transmission with Bill's bellhousing, and a R200 clutch-LSD rear diff out of an 87 Nissan Z31 300ZX Turbo.

10082012075.jpg

10082012076.jpg

10082012077.jpg

10082012078.jpg

10082012079.jpg

10082012080.jpg

10082012081.jpg

10082012082.jpg

10082012083.jpg

10082012084.jpg

10082012085.jpg

10082012086.jpg

10082012087.jpg

10082012089.jpg

I have now decided to make the best of the RWD setup and create a new front subframe/suspension/engine mount to move the engine as far back as possile (including customizing the firwall to make room for the starter motor). The engine/tranmission must also be lowered as there is hardly enough clearance for the Toyota gear selector system on top of the rear of the transmission.

Nice! Too bad I already got a tranny mount new off Ebay (4Runner uprated). But since I'm making the entire subframe(s) new anyway I'll make them fit the 4Runner mount.

Luckily I got the bell housing the day before I went on holiday for two weeks. Good thing, as they do two delivery attempts, then send it to the local post office and they store it only for one or two weeks, then they return it to sender!

Senior Hincher you are a craftsman and an artist. just wanted to say that

ok

sorry if this has already been covered but is there a comprehensive parts list for mating the trans and eng?

Also what is the overall length of the hybrid housing? shorter or longer than the original w series?

many thanks

Andy

Edited by andyhorror

Senior Hincher you are a craftsman and an artist. just wanted to say that

ok

sorry if this has already been covered but is there a comprehensive parts list for mating the trans and eng?

Also what is the overall length of the hybrid housing? shorter or longer than the original w series?

many thanks

Andy

The parts list as follows

Subaru:

NA flywheel

NA pressure plate

NA hydraulic clutch fork

Manual trans starter

Pilot bearing

Toyota:

Clutch disc

Supplied by bill:

Bell housing

Throw out bearing and sleeve

Not sure of the length of the housing it's self, so someone else will have to chime in.

I've been lurking this amazing thread forever and am still amazed at the craftsmanship and work put into this. Great job Bill.

Mellow, why did you choose that design for your remote shifter linkage? Do you have issues with binding? It seems more complicated than it needs to be.

I've been lurking this amazing thread forever and am still amazed at the craftsmanship and work put into this. Great job Bill.

Mellow, why did you choose that design for your remote shifter linkage? Do you have issues with binding? It seems more complicated than it needs to be.

2 main reasons really, 1 it was free and lastly, oh yeah, was free. :D

Its actually a very simple shifter, well kind of, it looks scary as hell, but works great. I also needed to make something work for me and bills shifter isn't done yet. In the end I really actually love the shifter, first the top of the shifter just below the center of the steering wheel, so this makes for a very short distance for my hand to have to travel. Very 7th gen civic si shifter like, no reaching down for a shifter, just over. Second I played with different pivot points for the joints, meaning changing the actual distance it took to shift gears. I can't remember the actual distance it takes to shift gears, but it's just a little shorter then a good short shifter. It really was personal preference, I'm willing to have to push a little harder for shorter throws.

The only two things I have any small gripe about, first I used a stock subaru shifter rod, so I have the stock plastic shifter bushings which are a little soft when moving the shifter side to side which I think is causing the second thing, and that is sometimes when shifting from 2nd to 3rd quickly I get hung up between 1st and 3rd. I'm hoping both will be solved when I put in some brass bushing in place of the stock plastic ones. Also just like any new trannys, you jut have to learn to shift them.

Unfortunately my shifter wont work for many people, it's odd looking, would run right where a radio would be in a regular car.

For me it works, fits the Frankenstein feel of my car and well, it was free. :)

The parts list as follows

Subaru:

NA flywheel

NA pressure plate

NA hydraulic clutch fork

Manual trans starter

Pilot bearing

Toyota:

Clutch disc

Supplied by bill:

Bell housing

Throw out bearing and sleeve

Err, Subaru engine :grin: and Toyota W5X RWD manual transmission.

For application in a Subaru where the engine and transmission sit way up front I would recommend to go the extra mile (and spend the money) on a W58 transmission including shift setup (the 'tripod') out of a MK4 (or MKIV as you'll find on the forums) Supra non-turbo or Lexus SC300/IS300.

That's the easiest version of the W5X shifter versions to extend.

Err, Subaru engine :grin: and Toyota W5X RWD manual transmission.

For application in a Subaru where the engine and transmission sit way up front I would recommend to go the extra mile (and spend the money) on a W58 transmission including shift setup (the 'tripod') out of a MK4 (or MKIV as you'll find on the forums) Supra non-turbo or Lexus SC300/IS300.

That's the easiest version of the W5X shifter versions to extend.

Well I was hoping that went with out saying. ;)

At least here in the states those bad boys are spendy. I priced one out and I knew I had to find a cheaper option then that kind of money.

Well those W58 transmissions are extremely difficult to source here aswell. I paid 120 euro voor a 84 Celica W57 with close ratios. Now I'm actually thinking/having to pay big $$$ to get the shifter stuff for a W58 and can't seem to find any of it used on Ebay or the like.

Sorry to be a keyboard crawler here, but one thing you guys might look into for your remote shifter is using the g series transmission from the toyota van's from the 80's I haven't gotten a chance to see how exactly works but I'm assuming it's cable operated by a couple pictures I could find. so in theory you could use the whole assembly out of the van maybe with custom cables if need be. I hope this might help somebody. what is the price on these bellhousings I keep looking but never found a hard number?

Hiace_Transmission_part.jpg

STK-4315_large.jpg

I know his bellhousing would bolt up only possible concern would be input shaft length. If that was different the geartrain from a g series pickup could be swapped over pretty easy. Main difference is the front case and the shift rail mechanisms. Granted mainshaft and tailhousing are specific to the van. Cool thing about the g series transmissions is the interchange with the jeep ax5 so with a jeep mainshft and tail you could run new process transfercases.

• 2 weeks later...

i think just hold your horses, i got a note from billy boy today saying that he has been working on the shifter, i know it's been the thing stopping most people, so just hang in there.

also the G tranny is an interesting idea, but yeah i don't know if anyone could answer those questions with out having both side by side. also i would worry about some strengths, i know the W stuff is good up to that 300hp range.

i'm still holding out on bills shifter, i have seen some pics of it and it should be a slick unit.