Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

W series Toyota trans adaptors

• Please log in to reply
575 replies to this topic

#551 LeoneTurbo

LeoneTurbo

EJ engine expert

• Gold Subscribers
  • 339 posts
  • Arnhem (The Netherlands)

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:24 PM

My project is progressing slowly so Bill's shifter probably is probably in time for me. I just don't know yet what length I need as I want to drop the engine by 2 inches and move back in the chassis. Maybe I can just do with one of the stock W-series shifter locations.

#552 mellow65

mellow65

Subaru, my drug of choice

• Members
  • 1,084 posts
  • Portland

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:59 PM

The fortunate thing as far as I know bills shifter can be located anywhere because it is going to utilize a Mitsubishi eclipse cable style shifter, so it will be about getting the cables the right length.

#553 LeoneTurbo

LeoneTurbo

EJ engine expert

• Gold Subscribers
  • 339 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:45 AM

Great, can't wait!

#554 bill hincher

bill hincher

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Toledo,Ohio

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:38 PM

I had to build a universal remote shifter that would fit both the W series and R series transmissions, so I used as many existing parts as I coould to hold the cost down

Posted Image Posted Image

the rotation of the second shaft will be produced from the rotation of the shifter handle while the forward and back motion will be from the handle itself, the reason for that was because I had to have two seperate motion ratio's from the two seperate movements
the sideways motion through the 'gate' of the shifter can be adjusted by the hiegth of the two pivot points while the length of the 'throw' can be adjusted by the length of the shift arm
here you can see how the rotation to the right and then to the left works through the pivot pionts

what you dont see here is how this appies to the length needed for the subaru adaption, well, a u-jiont is attached to the two shafts and the shifter is placed as far back as you want, then two 'drive' shafts are placed between the shifter and the remote controller to provide a front and back motion to one shaft and the rotation of the second shaft

Edited by bill hincher, 15 September 2012 - 07:50 PM.

#555 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:10 PM

Very nice! So I'm assuming the aluminium bit that's in a proto-type looking stage in your pictures will be one of your famous castings and then you will provide the shafts that exit it to interface the u-joints with?

I can see an application for this setup on both street and off-road applications and many different generations of Subaru's.... what (if any) model of shifter were you planning to have this interface with? Or are you going to provide the basics and we just buy tubing to build the length rods we need?

Also - what about vertical support for longer shafts? I'm not seeing how to anchor it to the body if you had say... 14" of shaft before the shifter... Subaru uses a body mount at the back of their shifters to give them support.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder, 15 September 2012 - 10:14 PM.

#556 bill hincher

bill hincher

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Toledo,Ohio

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:24 AM

what this will wind up being is a box that bolts on the the transmission with two shafts out the back, then the shifter will be on a plate that mounts to the floor of the given car and then the shafts cut to size

#557 LeoneTurbo

LeoneTurbo

EJ engine expert

• Gold Subscribers
  • 339 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:31 PM

Working miracles again are you :)

Can't wait for the finished product!

#558 T'subaru

T'subaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 443 posts
  • T'sunami Coast WA

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

Hey Bill,
Ive got a fella intersested in a subaru conversion in his toyota rock crawler.
Whats the best way to steer him your way for info/pricing etc other that these 50 plus pages?

#559 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,412 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

I have mine going into MY toyota rock crawler RIght rump roast we speak!!!!
Just a teaser!!
Posted Image

#560 mellow65

mellow65

• Members
  • 1,084 posts
  • Portland

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

Is the motor going to clear the frame and steering? It's the reoccurring issue with swapping a Subaru motor in something else.

#561 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,412 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

Is the motor going to clear the frame and steering? It's the reoccurring issue with swapping a Subaru motor in something else.

I am amost to that point.Like so close it is ridiculous.I will have family here for the next week, so I'll find out in a week or so :)
FRom measurements it looks like I will need to relocate the ford shock towers, then flatbelly to clear the bottom of the valve covers.
We shall see.
It will get mounted in there.Period.;) Whatever I have to do to make it fit....
Cheers

#562 mellow65

mellow65

• Members
  • 1,084 posts
  • Portland

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

When you get there make sure you post some pics.

#563 T'subaru

T'subaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 443 posts
  • T'sunami Coast WA

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

:cool:

I have mine going into MY toyota rock crawler RIght rump roast we speak!!!!
Just a teaser!!
Posted Image

#564 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,412 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

I will absolutely post pics.I probably won't make a build thread here
As this is a Subaru board.

#565 mellow65

mellow65

• Members
  • 1,084 posts
  • Portland

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

It's kind of like my mazda swap, I feel like it should be on here but really doesn't belong.

#566 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,492 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

I will absolutely post pics.I probably won't make a build thread here
As this is a Subaru board.

There's a non Subaru section though.......A build thread would be great to watch. Just add it to your thread you already started.

#567 mellow65

mellow65

• Members
  • 1,084 posts
  • Portland

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

I'd follow that thread. :)

#568 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,996 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

At the very least....post the link!

#569 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,412 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

Fair enough.I feel differently about it all the time....
But I would never leave you guys out :)

:drunk:

#570 Cyfun

Cyfun

Mud Baby

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • Billings, MT

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

Bump!

How's this coming? I'm really interested in putting a Subaru EG33 in a Toyota 4x4 pickup. :D

#571 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,412 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

Bump!

How's this coming? I'm really interested in putting a Subaru EG33 in a Toyota 4x4 pickup. :D

http://www.ultimates...ad.php?t=137553

linkie for build thread.cheers

#572 Crawlerdan

Crawlerdan

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • montana

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:37 PM

ok- im ready to buy bill- do these fit only w and r series trans (no g series?)

have we come up with a remote shifter yet?

thanks

#573 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,421 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:14 PM

After reading the pages where you were dealing with a reverse mounted starter I'm thinking that something like that with a subaru might be pretty neat,because for a RWD/4WD transmission  that rear facing starter does kinda limit how far back the engine can be.In my minds eye there should be enough room to flip the starter on an EJ22. Can anyone with one of the adapter bellhousings see if that might be possible.There is no point in that if the smallish starter interferes with the intake manifold but it might be nice to check out.

#574 970subaru

970subaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • Seattle, WA

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:40 AM

Hi bill,

I'm In awe of your work and just wanted to ask you a few questions if you don't mind.  there are too few with your skills around anymore.  you are doing the buckeye state proud keeping manufacturing alive, a true AMERICAN. 

1. What was your education/career path to allow you to establish such a high level of skill in so many trades?  you seem to be a tool and die machinist, fabricator, engineer, mechanic, and sculptor wrapped into one.

2. have you considered,(or do use) CAD/CAM technology for what you are doing with bellhousings?

3. how do you indicate a complicated rough casting such as a bellhousing for a first cut?

4. how did you calculate/measure for your allowed 1% shrinkage in your casting form, or how did you establish a register for those measurements if that question makes sense? radially from center of crank?

5. how can I learn to do what you do, or find a similar occupation? Currently I am a custom architectural metalwork fabricator but am bored with railings and stairs and interested in getting into more of a custom machining, prototyping sort of career.  have no formal training except my desire to learn. 

thanks for your time,

Jeremy

#575 kaki

kaki

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • MARYLAND,USA

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:10 AM

Interesting thread, very much interested in getting one for my latest project. Anyone got any more info? Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users