Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 Torque Specs? Crank Pulley, Timing Belt Pullies, Cam Gears, Oil & Water Pump

I don't even own a torque wrench and I'm still pondering.... why bother? However I do want to get this job done right. On one hand it's my daily driver, I depend on it for 70 miles every day, have to drive my kids around in it, and breaking down in a MN winter sucks. On the other hand I haven't used one in the last 12 years of wrenching.

This weekend I'm doing timing belts, water pump, resealing oil pump, cam seals, and crank seal. This means I have to remove/reinstall the oil pump, water pump, cam gears, crank pulley, and timing belt pullies.

Does anyone know the torque specs for these items?

Cam Gear Bolts

Oil Pump Bolts

Water Pump Bolts

Timing Belt Pulley Bolts (are they all the same spec?)

Crank Pulley Bolt

This is on a '95 EJ22 N/A engine.

Thanks!

The crank pulley you probably want to use one, though a lot of people have gotten away without one, it sometimes comes at a price. You also want to use blue threadlock on that one. A torque wrench is not necessary, but it does help to know just how much force is being applied to the crank bolt so you don't run the risk of it coming loose in 3 months.

Little tip: Before you take the old timing belt off, even before you loosen the tensioner or any other pulley or idler for that matter, grab a whiteout pen or a grease pencil or something, and make your own marks on the crank sprocket, cam pulleys, and timing covers. This way you know exactly where each pulley was set before you took the belt off, and there is no guess work as to which mark to use, or how many teeth to count. You line up YOUR marks and put the belt on. Be sure to pull it tight all the way around so that all of the slack is in the area between the crank sprocket and drivers side cam sprocket where the tensioner pulley is.

• 4 months later...