Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EJ22 Torque Specs? Crank Pulley, Timing Belt Pullies, Cam Gears, Oil & Water Pump

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:28 PM

I don't even own a torque wrench and I'm still pondering.... why bother? However I do want to get this job done right. On one hand it's my daily driver, I depend on it for 70 miles every day, have to drive my kids around in it, and breaking down in a MN winter sucks. On the other hand I haven't used one in the last 12 years of wrenching.

This weekend I'm doing timing belts, water pump, resealing oil pump, cam seals, and crank seal. This means I have to remove/reinstall the oil pump, water pump, cam gears, crank pulley, and timing belt pullies.

Does anyone know the torque specs for these items?
Cam Gear Bolts
Oil Pump Bolts
Water Pump Bolts
Timing Belt Pulley Bolts (are they all the same spec?)
Crank Pulley Bolt

This is on a '95 EJ22 N/A engine.

Thanks!

#2 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,746 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:09 AM

The crank pulley you probably want to use one, though a lot of people have gotten away without one, it sometimes comes at a price. You also want to use blue threadlock on that one. A torque wrench is not necessary, but it does help to know just how much force is being applied to the crank bolt so you don't run the risk of it coming loose in 3 months.

Little tip: Before you take the old timing belt off, even before you loosen the tensioner or any other pulley or idler for that matter, grab a whiteout pen or a grease pencil or something, and make your own marks on the crank sprocket, cam pulleys, and timing covers. This way you know exactly where each pulley was set before you took the belt off, and there is no guess work as to which mark to use, or how many teeth to count. You line up YOUR marks and put the belt on. Be sure to pull it tight all the way around so that all of the slack is in the area between the crank sprocket and drivers side cam sprocket where the tensioner pulley is.

#3 Goobysoobs

Goobysoobs

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • Raleigh, NC

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:32 PM

So anyone find out the torque specs for this? I just don't trust the Haynes' manual anymore so many snapped bolts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users