Ultimate Subaru Message Board

replacing 97 GT auto trans - vendors?

We need to replace the auto transmission in our 97 Legacy GT (the local shop said it's not worth rebuilding it - too costly). I've found a shop online called Everdrive.com which offers a 3-year/unlimited mileage warranty, and a 1-year labor warranty if the new one dies. Thing is, these are used (cleaned/inspected) and not rebuilt. However, they're less than half the cost (if the site can be believed) - $799 vs $1800. Anyone have any experience with them, good or bad, or know another trusted vendor we can buy from?

Thanks.

- Rich Rubel

We need to replace the auto transmission in our 97 Legacy GT (the local shop said it's not worth rebuilding it - too costly). I've found a shop online called Everdrive.com which offers a 3-year/unlimited mileage warranty, and a 1-year labor warranty if the new one dies. Thing is, these are used (cleaned/inspected) and not rebuilt. However, they're less than half the cost (if the site can be believed) - $799 vs $1800. Anyone have any experience with them, good or bad, or know another trusted vendor we can buy from?

Thanks.

- Rich Rubel

look here if no one on the board has one for sale:

http://www.car-part.com

Find one locally. Imagine if that one went bad, an online shop can just go poof. Imagine the shipping charge. As far asi ti being 1/2 off, I dont know. the original price sounded way to high to me. Call around and see what a local yard gets for an auto tranny.

nipper

Actually, shipping is free - one of the things that attracted me. Oddly, the GT transmission is about $300 cheaper than the Outback and LSi one, even though they're for the same engine.

$1800 is the local going rate from several places for the part. I did get a low of $1600 from one place.

As for going poof, that's why I'm asking here about them :)

Thanks.

[RICHR]

They have only been around since 2003 but I don't have any personal experience with them. Two of their executives used to work for Circuit City and we know how that ended up! I second car-part.com to find a used local one.

Many places use Jasper Engines & Transmissions for their rebuilts. Shop is in Indiana but they are not cheap. As usual, you generally get what you pay for.

http://www.jasperengines.com/transmissions.php

Edited by Mike104

They have only been around since 2003 but I don't have any personal experience with them. Two of their executives used to work for Circuit City and we know how that ended up! I second car-part.com to find a used local one.

Many places use Jasper Engines & Transmissions for their rebuilts. Shop is in Indiana but they are not cheap. As usual, you generally get what you pay for.

http://www.jasperengines.com/transmissions.php

Heh, my dad lives the next town over from Jasper, Indiana - I know the transmission place well.

I checked car-part.com; prices range from $600 - $1500, all pulls with no rebuilds, and mileages are all over the place (can I really believe a 97 has 187 miles on it???).

Thanks.

[RICHR]

My best friend is a full time mechanic and has been using everdrive for about a year now. They have been very good to him and replaced bad parts without question. Knowing this, I wouldn't hesitate using them for a part for my car.

Where are you located, that will help one of us to help you.

My best friend is a full time mechanic and has been using everdrive for about a year now. They have been very good to him and replaced bad parts without question. Knowing this, I wouldn't hesitate using them for a part for my car.

Where are you located, that will help one of us to help you.

Located in Glen Burnie, MD. Some of the guys here know where I am from other boards (used to be on here, but apparently lost my account from inactivity...).

Jasper wants more for just a transmission than a local shop wants for the whole job... so I think that option is out.

Does Everdrive have any idea of the mileage on the individual parts they sell?

[RICHR]

I'm not sure, but here is a car here in a local JY with a trans in it, but it is from a 2.2 so you would need the rear end to go with it. The JY usually charges around 150 for a tranny and another 45 for the rear end. It might be worth a trip down to get the trans and if your car is driveable we could do the swap while you are here.

Weems a lot less expensive than what you are looking at right now.

Mike

I'm not sure, but here is a car here in a local JY with a trans in it, but it is from a 2.2 so you would need the rear end to go with it. The JY usually charges around 150 for a tranny and another 45 for the rear end. It might be worth a trip down to get the trans and if your car is driveable we could do the swap while you are here.

Weems a lot less expensive than what you are looking at right now.

Mike

I think I'd need the electronics as well, and I'm not sure how well the 2.2 TCU would play with the 2.5l (maybe fine, maybe not). It's my wife's car, so I'm less inclined to experiment than if it were mine... but definitely thanks for the suggestion.

[RICHR]

What am I thinking. I have a 2.5 trans that only has 117k on it in a 98 outback parts car that I have right now. The car hit a deer and the lady didn't want to fix it so she sold the car to me. I can sell you the trans for 400 installed if you'd like. I can't believe that I forgot about the tranny.

Let me know what you think

Mike

What am I thinking. I have a 2.5 trans that only has 117k on it in a 98 outback parts car that I have right now. The car hit a deer and the lady didn't want to fix it so she sold the car to me. I can sell you the trans for 400 installed if you'd like. I can't believe that I forgot about the tranny.

Let me know what you think

Mike

That's VERY tempting. Richmond is about 2.5 hours from me, so not that far. Any idea how different is the 98 transmission from the 97? They all list different part numbers...

[RICHR]

Thanks John, I agree. As long as the tranny comes out of a 2.5 car you are golden up to about 2000 model year.

Let me know if you want to do this and we can figure out a time.

mike

Someone elsewhere brought up a good point - outside tire diameter is different on the GT vs the OB, so speedometer gear or VSS (not sure which part varies) would have to change as well. Any ideas?

I need to discuss with my wife, since it's her car :)

[RICHR]

As a side note, in what way did the original transmission fail? Slipping, missing shifts, AWD not working or binding, lost fluid?

Some of the internal seals failed, according to a local shop - the car would not shift out of first until it had been driven for almost a mile (tough to do when all the local roads are 35+ mph). So no pressure until things were heated up. We tried (at shop's suggestion) a transmission additive (can't remember which one) but it didn't do anything. Was told that nobody local rebuilds them.

[RICHR]

I have checked ant there is no speed issue with the transmission interchange. Rest easy on this decision.

Mike

Mike, for some reason I can't send a PM here. I talked to my wife, and she's OK with your doing the work. Is there any history to the transmission? We know it's not binding and such? How much time do you think you'll need, barring anything unforseen?

Thanks.

[RICHR]

I know that the trans has only 117 k on it, but that is all I know. The car it is in hit a deer and then the husband decided he was going to fix it himself. In the process he left his wife and she didn't know what to do wht the car so it sat in her driveway until I bought it.

Even if it did have any binding issues, I can fix that in short order, but I don't think we are going to have any issues. I can do the work in about three or so hours. Weekends are the best for me, but I am also off on Thursdays. If you want you can email me and we can go off the listing.

mdjdc1@gmail.com

thanks

Mike