Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Do you guys drill your own wheels?

brysawn

I searched and found the three threads on this, but I'd like some more information. I also searched the FAQ.

I'm wondering if this is something can be done at home, or is it better to have done by a machinist?

If you do it; how? Do you take an old hub, and drill accordingly? With 4runner wheels do you have to drill two extra holes, or all four?

I thought I read that the lug hole is a 9/16", and also that it is a 60 degree bevel. How do I make this? And is the center bore the correct size, or do I have to alter that also?

And lastly, does anyone have any pictures of their drilled yota wheels? All the pictures in older threads are dead.

It just isn't that complex really. You take an old hub or drum, knock out two of the studs and bolt it up to the rim to be drilled. You scribe a circle through the stud hole in the hub/drum onto the wheel. Remove the hub/drum, bisect the circle to find the center - punch mark it, then center punch it and drill a pilot hole with an 1/8" bit - then enlarge to 1/4", then 1/2", and finally 9/16". I did my first set with an old single-speed 1/2" drill that was probably state of the art in the 1950's.

For the bevel - a chamfer tool could be used. Personally I used a small carbide burr in a dremel tool when I did it because that's what I had (mind you that was 6 or 8 years ago), and the wheels are still doing fine to this day. I was just careful and took my time and did the chamfer by hand and eye.

It can be as simple or as complex as you want to make it. As far as I know there is no benefits other than peice of mind and job satisfaction to be had from having fancy machines and equipment do this simple task. I would use my drill press and chamfer tool now - but I'm not the crazy kid I was back when I did my first set either and I have lots of fancy toys that save time and labor and make me smile when I use them :lol:.

GD

Yeah, I figured it would be pretty straightforward. I've got a drill press, so I'm thinking that will make it easier. The tough part will be making the 60 degree bevel, I don't think I can really eyeball that.

I'm looking at doing these to a 5 stud set i have, but am struggling to find a way of getting the center, other than paying someone to put it in a lathe and scribing a line.... any ideas?

sorry bit of a thread jack!

I'm looking at doing these to a 5 stud set i have, but am struggling to find a way of getting the center, other than paying someone to put it in a lathe and scribing a line.... any ideas?

Like GD said, take an old hub/drum and go from there

I drilled my rims back in the day when i was building a lifted EA81. It sucked, i added 2 new holes so I didn't have to install modified hubs.

It was a huge pain in the rump roast. And even worse was trying to add a bevel so the lugnuts would seat propperly.

Well, I'd rather do that then go 6-lug on my hubs. But I don't really want to pay to have it done.

yes.....and ...no...but it is pretty straightforward.take a hub and knockout two opposing studs.mount your hub to the wheel.mark your empty holes on the wheel by using a transfer punch to relocate the holes to the wheels.

it helps if you put the hub on the face side of the wheel ,instead of its usual orientation.

drill to whatever size the other holes on the wheel are.the bevel is done with a beveling bit :)

it is not that difficult, a large half inch drill can be used just as easy as a drillpress.of course that will probably not be wise if you are not used to utilizing torquey tools......

slow and steady wins the race.use some tapping and drilling fluid.

cheers, brain

I wouldn't even bother with 5-lug wheels. With the 6 lug, two opposing studs will bolt up to give you center.

Yeah, I figured it would be pretty straightforward. I've got a drill press, so I'm thinking that will make it easier. The tough part will be making the 60 degree bevel, I don't think I can really eyeball that.

You don't have to do that at all if you don't want to. I bought some open ended lug nuts (flat on top) and tightened up on the two factory holes first to center the rim, then put the other two lug nuts on upside down (flat side on the rim.)

They are centered and I haven't had any issues.

Just another option.

Dan

I wouldn't even bother with 5-lug wheels. With the 6 lug, two opposing studs will bolt up to give you center.

got them cheap with tyres, and they look real good... but might sell them as i CBF wiht the hassle.

thanks guys

oh you poor thing you thought subarus were actual wheelers? no you see they are lsd'd independent suspension cars with a 4x4 option:lol::lol:

im all jokes on that

dont re drill your wheels. do your hubs, its better down the road AND you will have alot more wheel options

oh you poor thing you thought subarus were actual wheelers? no you see they are lsd'd independent suspension cars with a 4x4 option:lol::lol:

im all jokes on that

dont re drill your wheels. do your hubs, its better down the road AND you will have alot more wheel options

your talkin to people that have been wheeling these cars since you were still in junior high .......

and doing your wheels is fine. i had redrilled rims on the front of the brat and 6 lug hubs on the back as a comparison.i ran them both with no issues.and i can tell you the amount of beer i had when drilling those front rims was not conducive to straight holes.....and even after a botched bevel job....it never shook, shimmied , or shantied ....more experience helps when giving advice .

i beat the ************ out of that brat and never had an issue with either.

if you can afford to do your hubs, sure , you get more options.but seeing as how you did not drill your own hubs, i would say that your opinion goes into the "well, i could pay for it , so i did it " column.

might wanna think about giving advice on things you actually know about. cheers, brain

ive been "wheeling" subarus since high school jr high doesnt exist anymore you might wanna actually know what YOUR talkin about before you open that cock sucker.

i have redrilled hubs it took hours and cost me a drill (i didnt have a press just a driveway and a drill with a 16" yota rim. they went on my other silver wagon with blue interior. ive never paid for hubs i just bought a subaru that happened to have the swap.

and i wasnt talkin to ur retared rump roast brian so if you would please..... ************ OFF

other than that.. drilling out the rims is a easy 4 hole job i never beveled mine, i never had a problem

Edited by True2Blue

ive been "wheeling" subarus since high school jr high doesnt exist anymore you might wanna actually know what YOUR talkin about before you open that cock sucker.

THEY GOT RID OF JR. HIGH???

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

When are kids supposed to learn about drugs these days, or did they just bump that into elementary school now? Anyways, they had Jr. High when I was around. So, as I'm not that old, I'm gonna call that a "still relative term".

Anywho, :popcorn:

P.S. If you are drilling 4 holes on a "rim job"; you're drilling too many. :lol:

But anyways; whatever, that post is full of contradictory half thought out mumblings.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

When are kids supposed to learn about drugs these days, or did they just bump that into elementary school now? Anyways, they had Jr. High when I was around. So, as I'm not that old, I'm gonna call that a "still relative term".

P.S. If you are drilling 4 holes on a "rim job"; you're drilling too many. :lol:

But anyways; whatever, that post is full of contradictory half thought out mumblings.

They still do have junior high.

I've got the general idea on how to drill them, thanks.

:eek:

theres middle school and high school 9th grade is now in the middle school 10 11 12 are high school

and 4 holes as in 4 holes for the rears 2 per side. 2 per rim unless ur runnin 2 lugs per wheel:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

look sweetheart....when you meet me, you say whatever you want to my face.until then, have some ************ing respect, and drop the name calling.

oh, and since high school was like, 2 or 3 yrs ago for you.you get a small reprieve.

oh, and you should bevel.its like flossing.just good to do.cheers, brain

i have redrilled hubs it took hours and cost me a drill (i didnt have a press just a driveway and a drill with a 16" yota rim. they went on my other silver wagon with blue interior. ive never paid for hubs i just bought a subaru that happened to have the swap.

and i wasnt talkin to ur retared rump roast brian so if you would please..... ************ OFF

other than that.. drilling out the rims is a easy 4 hole job i never beveled mine, i never had a problem