Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It's those little things... Shifter Spring

1999 Impreza OB Sport 5mt

Ok, so I must say the new tranny from a 5mt 2004 is SMOOTH. It would have been nice to have have some help removing and replacing but overall not too bad.

OK so I've got a little rub/click noise popping up occasionally and not all the time when I shift gears. It seems like something with the linkage. WELL, when I was removing the tranny I NEVER saw any little spring on the gear shift :drunk:, which brings me to another question on replacing the tranny in the first place, but first:

shifter_breakdown.jpg

So I noticed that there should be a little spring for the gear shift :eek: I figure since there is no tension on that washer that that is probably smacking around.

Is that little spring all that important?

So now to that other topic: I was losing 4th gear in the tranny, 4th started popping out on occasion and progressively got worse. If that little spring broke would have that been the start to all my FUN, :horse: I enjoyed this past weekend?

No. The spring just holds the stick in the center position of it's travel. It's just enough resistance on the stick to keep it from flopping all over the place while cornering, and it also helps make it a bit easier to find 3rd and 4th gear when shifting. It has no effect on the internals of the transmission.

When you are driving around, do you ever rest your hand on the shift lever? A lot of people have e tendency to do this, and while it seems harmless, it actually causes the shift forks to wear because they are constantly under pressure. It's not a lot, but it is just enough to make the bushings on the fork contact the synchro hub and wear them down. This will eventually prevent the hub from fully engaging, causing the "gear" to pop out when it is put under load. Bet you can't guess which gear this happens with the most often? :rolleyes:

• 3 years later...

Does anyone know if the 1999 Legacy Gt manual trans shifter requires the shifter spring? I just replaced the spring on my 98 Impreza RS whose shifter was very loose without it. My 99 Legacy GT does not have the shifter spring but seems to return to center and shift just fine without it. ?  Also the the Legacy transmission or shifter rattles quite a bit in 2nd and 4th gears. Any suggestions? Again, the shifter works fine, not loose, but the rattle in 2nd and 4th is annoying. Help. Thanks

In 98 or 99 they switched to a internal spring mechanism because the spring on the outside could rust and fall off, or get knocked off if you run over a stick or something.

Rattling from the shifter is usually the bushings on the shift lever where the linkage rod attaches. It could be the bushings or the bolt that attaches the linkage to the lever.

It's easy to check, just pop up the center console cover and wiggle the shifter a little bit back and forth while looking for play in the bolt or bushings. The bolt may just need to be tightened a little. Be carefule though because tightening that bolt too much may inhibit free travel of the shift lever.

Thanks FAIRTAX4ME. My RS was built summer 97 so it would have the spring. the Legacy GT is a late build from spring 99. So you've convinced me it shouldn't have the spring. Guess I'll have to look at the knuckle. By the way. I once read that the clutch design during this period contributes to the shifter rattle. Any thoughts on that? Thanks again for you input.