Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've just got a few questions about this swap, I found the motor from nippon motors, for $650+ shipping. but it doesn't come with a ecu. this is my main concern, will the ecu in my car be compatible with the turboed engine, if so what options for i have for raising the rev limiter and re-mapping the fuel curve to compensate for boost? If it won't do it where could i get the wiring and ecu to convert it?

No yours won't run it. You can get hold of an aftermarket ECU like a Haltech or a Microtech that will do the job very nicely.

If you plan on using a factory computer you can pick the engine wiring from the loom and stitch it in to your car. This is how I have done it to my XT.

Originally posted by 86BRATMAN

I've just got a few questions about this swap, I found the motor from nippon motors, for $650+ shipping. but it doesn't come with a ecu. this is my main concern, will the ecu in my car be compatible with the turboed engine, if so what options for i have for raising the rev limiter and re-mapping the fuel curve to compensate for boost? If it won't do it where could i get the wiring and ecu to convert it?

A friend of mine showed me this months issue of Sport Compact Car Magazine (March), and it has details on doing an EJ20T swap into any new gen Soob. You might want to try and find that mag, my buddy found it at Barnes & Nobles. Good Luck on the swap!

It's not exactly Subaru to Subaru, but I'm working on putting an EJ20T into my Honda CRX...

If I can get just the motor (the Nippon Price is amazing, is that for everything except Wiring harness?) I was going to try and mate it to a 1st Gen. Legacy Turbo (EJ22T) driveline and put in a heavy duty clutch and beefier axles to withstand the extra power.

I know it's kind of absurd to do this swap, but I was hoping that someone may be able to help me with the red flags before I have a motor and transmission in the CRX with nothing moving...

I used to own a 91 Legacy Turbo that was putting out about 300 hp until it was killed in a flood when I moved down to FL, so the EJ22 is my second choice - might it be the better chioce?

THANKS!

-MR