Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wagon springs stiffer than sedan springs?

diamondjumper

I have a ea82 sedan, and i was thinking about getting some different springs in the rear 1. to stiffen it up and 2. because both shocks are already blown in the rear so I might as well replace it with something better.

Probably just going to get wagon struts (are they any stiffer is my question)

or put rx-7 springs on it which a buddy did and that stiffened it up quite a bit.

-jeff

yes, wagon springs are stiffer.

An alternative is to buy new struts, flip your old sturts lower spring mount over and slide it on as a spacer below the new spring seat and then use you're existing springs, or stiffer ones.

You'll get about an inch lift and more preload. way more if you use wagon springs.

ok good to hear :)

My pull a part has tons of wagons with the rear struts, they can just sometimes be a pain to take the two top bolts off I am realizing. Is there any difference between 2 and 4wd springs? or can I just use the overabundance of 2wd struts?

thanks,

Jeff

FWD rear struts are about two inches longer. But there springs are way softer.

FWD struts with 4wd wagon springs yields a good tall stiff ride that isn't TOO stiff. Flip an extra perch under the spring and you will get even more, but at that point it will be damn near solid.

• 4 weeks later...

FWD struts with 4wd wagon springs yields a good tall stiff ride that isn't TOO stiff.

This is what I'm running on my lifted wagon and Need just a little more stiffer springs. I think I'm going to have some made up. I figure with the added weight of my bumpers/subframe, my payload is sacrificed significantly. If my car is EMPTY it rides perfect. After adding a highlift jack, spare tire, couple straps, shovel, tools, and a few spare parts, I am OVERLOADED.....