Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ18 to EJ22

Murthius

Hi! Thinking about swapping my OBD1 EJ18 out of my '93 Impreza for an EJ22 some time in the future and couldn't find any info about that specific swap. I was just wondering if anyone has some info or could point me to the right thread if it is around and I overlooked it. Thanks!

That is a pretty straight forward swap. Just install the intake manifold and all other electronic stuff from your EJ18 onto the EJ22 longblock and you'll be goo dto go, the EJ18 ECU will happily run the EJ22. Just check if the crank gear of the EJ18 is identical to EJ22 - here in Europe the EJ18 engine management is slightly different to the EJ22 and uses a different cranksignal trigger pattern, but I'm not sure if that also applies to stateside cars.

Awesome thats just what I was hoping to hear. It's not silly to do that is it? I figure I'd wait till my EJ18 really starts dogging before I do any swap, but if I'm going to do a swap anyway I figure the ej22 would give me a bit more power and such. my 18 has about 200k on her now.

I have seen 1 that had an air suction or EGR type of system I can't remember what so make sure there isn't any piping going to the head on the 1.8 that the 2.2 doesnt have holes drilled for.

The cam and crank gears here on USDM cars are all identical on the ej18 and ej22 engines.

Nice. This is probably a silly question but, I have AWD, is there anything I need to worry about for power transfer and such? anything that needs to be done with the tranny/differentials for the swap?

Nope, your not swapping trannys or rear diffs. Changing a engine doesn't change your gearing.

yep, very simple. i essentially did the same swap but backwards. bolts right up, nothing to it really.

EJ18's have EGR and some EJ22's have it.

You'll want an EJ22 with EGR for it to bolt right up.

Or drill a hole in the EJ22 head and cut thread to attach the pipe.