Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Beast: Straight Axle swap Begins!

The Beast I Drive

Well, Ive been tinkering around with this idea for a while now, but I put it off because I wanted to do all I could with the independent rear suspension my 87 GL wagon came with. Well, with a welded rear, 8" of lift in the back, and 31" tires, it likes to eat those glass stubs these old rigs have. Also, flex is severely limited by the short travel of the shocks and the angles at which the axles can safely run. So its time for the IRS to go. For those of you who dont know my rig, here it is as of today:

IMG_0487.jpg

A couple weeks ago I got a hot deal on a rear axle from an Isuzu Rodeo, like a 97 or something. Disc Brakes, 4.10 gears, and beefy looking construction, I think this will do quite well. looks to be about the right width too.

IMG_0483.jpg

I just need to change the brake lines to work with the Subaru setup, cut off the spring under perches, and weld on some brackets for my 4-link and rear coilovers.

IMG_0484.jpg

Then Today, These beauties came.....

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

These are Heim joints I bought from Speedway Motors, they are used on competition rock crawlers and high-HP racing applications. They are ************ing huge, and flex to some mad extreme angle. I bought 4 right hands, and 4 left hands so I can have alignment adjustment in the rear. Just an idea of how big these are, here's one next to a joint I bought for the Turd wagon. The small joint has a 3/4" shank and hole.

IMG_0485.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

Yeah, overkill, but it's my style :banana:

So now I just need to get some LH and RH 1" jam nuts, about 30' of 1.25" .120 DOM tubing, some long travel rear coilovers, and I can get the axle mounted to the car. Then I will need to modify the Isuzu driveline, build my 4.11 AWD D/R trans, and re-build the front half of my lift to incorporate a new front suspension using modified VW Superbeetle struts and new custom lower control arms, and more lift. I will also be building a sort of sub frame to connect the front lift to the rear mounting points on the body, for the 4 link to bolt to. The Superbeetle struts will give me an extra 2-4" of suspension travel in the front, IIRC. Also will be dropping in a Hi-Po EA81 that I am getting in trade for a Hatch (I hope :) )

With all this, The Beast should be *almost* as capable as a stock/slightly lifted 1990's Toyota pick up with IFS. I might have a gear shop make me a custom set of 3:1 Low range gears, and modify the body of the trans to acomodate these, but not any time soon :rolleyes:

More updates as parts are acquired!

-Bill

Edited by The Beast I Drive

I am excited to see this. I think solid rear axle without a divorced Tcase is an awesome idea. We've been discussion doing that with my buddy's brat.....

I might have missed it, but I dont think theres any mention of a divorced t-case.

Which he really really needs to do if he's going to all the trouble of a solid rear.

Bill, your money would be better spent with a divorced t-case. You have the lift to do it and you know how well my hatch crawls. Plus its cheaper to upgrade the t-case than the tranny.

I really considered the T-case Rob, but Im interested in trying this out first, and if I dont like it, it wont be hard at all to add the T-case, all the rear work will be done already.

To be honest, with no glas stubs to break I wont have to watch the gas as much, and with the more powerful engine and an XT6 clutch and flywheel, and the 4.11 gears it will be a HUGE improvement over what it is now. Ive wheeled this rig a lot, and it does really good with what it has, so this will only make it better...

Even if its not a leap, its still a step forward...

Oh and this is what I have for a skid plate and exhaust right now, and it's taken some serious abuse on some nasty rocks and still going strong, I might fab up something that looks a little better though, this one was just a quick hack job.

IMG_0425.jpg

-Bill

Edited by The Beast I Drive

I had a GEn1 full skid plate modifiet to fit, but since it bolted in at the bottom of the core support on the shorter front end EA81, it wasn't quite sturdy enough. it protected the exhaust and oil pan great, but flexed "just enough" to snap my oil sending unit 2 times....

then I did this...

remote-oil-1.jpg

I might have missed it, but I dont think theres any mention of a divorced t-case.

yea, that's why I said "without a tcase" ;)

it's a great way to beef up the system, and open up options, without completely re-engineering the front end.

I've got everything to convert an RX box to 4.111, and I have a 4.10 toyota axle here. My buddy's brat is so rusty, it needs a LOT of new steel welded into the back anyway.....some leaf spring/shock mounts, and fuel cell....

Right on, Bill..."The Beast" can't be true to it's name with stock drivetrain!!!

How much longer are the super b struts than the stock ea82 struts?

I'm also interested in this mod, if you feel like going into detail. I'd like my axles to rub, if they could. :lol:

I will post details on the Superbeetle struts when I get around to that part, but there is a couple threads with some info on them here somewhere, I ran across one inadvertently just a few days ago, but cannot remember where or how I came to find it...

-Bill

Probably one of Brian's.

Probably one of Brian's.

Actually, it wasnt... I can't recall who it was by ATM, but I am certain the one I came across was not Brian's. However, had it not been for Brian, I would never have had the initiative to try it :banana: I saw him mod a pair in person at his house one of the times I visited... I have a part number around here somewhere...

-Bill

So now I just need to get some LH and RH 1" jam nuts, about 30' of 1.25" .120 DOM tubing, some long travel rear coilovers, and I can get the axle mounted to the car. Then I will need to modify the Isuzu driveline, build my 4.11 AWD D/R trans, and re-build the front half of my lift to incorporate a new front suspension using modified VW Superbeetle struts and new custom lower control arms, and more lift. I will also be building a sort of sub frame to connect the front lift to the rear mounting points on the body, for the 4 link to bolt to. The Superbeetle struts will give me an extra 2-4" of suspension travel in the front, IIRC. Also will be dropping in a Hi-Po EA81 that I am getting in trade for a Hatch (I hope :) )

-Bill

"" build my 4.11 AWD D/R trans'''

Will this be in a 4 speed or 5 speed D/R? I would like to know what model car(s) would have the 4.11 pinion shaft that you will need. I have several 4 speed d/r trans parts from different cars but all have 3.9 ratio. If there is a different trans out there that has a pinion shaft with a 4.11 that will work in the manual 4 or 5 speed D/R gearboxes, I would love to hear more!

"" build my 4.11 AWD D/R trans'''

Will this be in a 4 speed or 5 speed D/R? I would like to know what model car(s) would have the 4.11 pinion shaft that you will need. I have several 4 speed d/r trans parts from different cars but all have 3.9 ratio. If there is a different trans out there that has a pinion shaft with a 4.11 that will work in the manual 4 or 5 speed D/R gearboxes, I would love to hear more!

here in the US. you need a Full-time 4WD D/R 5MT from a Subaru RX, Which is usually a 3.7. And then put a 4.111 front pinion shaft and center diff from a newer gen subaru in it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...