Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Beast: Straight Axle swap Begins!

The Beast I Drive

he should have gone with a rear axle out of an gen 1 rx7 gsl, 3.9 gears, lsd ,disc brakes, already set up of coil overs and 3 link and a 58" width. it would be a pretty straight forward swap, im pretty sure the driveshafts are the same also. when i get around to building a solid rear in a rig it will be with one of those.

Billy knew Exactly what he was doing.

Going with a small pinioned rearend is not smart when you beat on spoob.

On top of the fact that LOCKERS and GEARS is the WHOLE reason for going to a solid rear....

He was beyond your thought process lol

He has moved on to  better wheelers . And More room for his family

Billy built shiit more skookum than anyone else I have seen. It is a shame that he moved away from building our kits, and projects like these.

• Like 2

the small pumpkin is nice but they don't really have lockers or different gears.The Rx7 rear end has a limited slip(no locker) and only a small range of gears.

Besides there is a big difference between spinning 25" tires with a 350 vs 31"+ tires in rocks,tree stumps,etc.

a 350 in a street RX7 never really has a chance to hook up and grip,On the other hand offroading, a tire may spin, then quickly catch traction, then come to an immediate stop,repeat the process until something blows up.It takes alot of force to stop a heavy offroad tire really quick,then spin it right back up again.That force goes into the axles and diff.The process creates a twisting action that if strong enough or the metal fatigues enough will snap a part.

there are some rims out there for 4x110, and it wouldnt be that hard to adapt it to a different pattern. there are a few gear choices, like 4.11 3.9, 3.7 gears all subaru gear choices.. if you went with the non lsd you could weld it, and i know it would be stronger than the stock subaru setup. but this is all just an idea, maybe in a few years i'll put it into practice.

We are trying to help you not make a fab mistake.

We are not looking for Subie gearsets.

Not saying it cannot be done. That's what your not hearing. It just isn't the proper route to go . This is from people that have thought about , drank about, read about a billion different offroad ideas.

Oh yeah, We might build stuff too.........lol

cheers

Edited by monstaru
  • Like 1

there are some rims out there for 4x110, and it wouldnt be that hard to adapt it to a different pattern. there are a few gear choices, like 4.11 3.9, 3.7 gears all subaru gear choices.. if you went with the non lsd you could weld it, and i know it would be stronger than the stock subaru setup. but this is all just an idea, maybe in a few years i'll put it into practice.

Could weld it but then you'd be stuck running locked on pavement all the time.

some people do it with subarus, but I don't.  I pull an axle all the time i'm on the street if I'm running my welded diff.  I also have never broken a stub. Those that I know that have broken many stubs, and axles, all run welded on the pavement......building up stress in the metal, causeing it to fail when wheeling.

Might as well go a bit beefier if you are gonna go to a solid axle.