Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New to USMB, Question about BRAT Transmission

First of all hi to eveyone, i joined today because this forum seems to be the best place for advise and help.

I have a Subaru Brat 1993, well i have three but to are off the road, i had to have some welding done on it a last week also changed the front wheels bearings but i have been advised to swap the transmission for a 5 speed or at the very least over haul the exsiting tranny, the car has only done 72,000 miles and it sounds a bit major when there doesn't appear to have any problem, gears are all fine and no knock or bangs. Is there something i don't know about these trannys or is a mechanic trying to get some major money out of me for nothing?

I am not familiar with specs for a 93 Brat as they stopped them in the U.S. in 87, so I will just assume you're talking about the 4 spd dual range that was in the Brats here. Those transmissions were tough and do well with the engine in the Brat. The 5 spd dual range will work with it, and it does make for some more top end on the highway, but it also isn't geared quite right for steep inclines (as in Alaska). If you opt for the 5 spd conversion, you might want to contact bratsrus1 (Jerry) as he builds a conversion package that allows the average garage mechanis to do it himself.