Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Overpriced Junk Yards Yuck

Boy today I was at a junkyard that has a mint Brat passenger side door... So I ask what is the price.. The guy tells me 75.00 bucks for a door... WOW....

And earlier before I ask about the prices he tells me "Oh the older subaru's with a spay painted X are going to the crusher soon so get what I need..... Ya think the goof would of said " Gee I can at least make somethin on this car before I crush it and take like 35 bucks or somethin for it.. Not price gouge me with a outrageous price like that... Needless to say I turned and walked away... I hope he chokes on it LOL

And here I was thinking I found a new place that was reasonable for us to buy from.... NOT

Guess Im use to prices liek 25 a door....

Boy I feel better now that I vented.. LOL

$75 for a mint rust free door isnt that rediculous especially if it has all the interior panels and the window regulator is decent.

Could be ESPECIALLY reasonable if the paint code matches your car and it has no dings. Odds of that, about zero. :)

Sorry to be a terd about your rant.

Double edged sword of sorts....

$75 is not bad for something MINT that you can't find on the east coast anymore.At least a door with all its parts,in and out.I'd have offered $30-40 and if need be,meet him around $60

But you're right,most yards are a huge rip off around here.

i've found at this yard behind my house, if its a soob part (especially an 80's part) the guy always starts high, and you can offer him less and haggle for a few seconds and get it at pretty decent price..

i mean if you were sellin stuff for a living you'd set your prices hihg, to get those people that don't care. but would take less if offered less..

prices here: (hard to find ea81 type parts rust free)

door: $50

glass: $25-30

Hood:$50

Fender:$40

Bumper: $25

Anything Electrical (switches, etc): $25 to start

Disty:$35

PS Pump: $25

Headlights: $15 (removeable bulb type)

Radiator: $50

Tail lights: $20-30

Marker Lights: $10

Turn signals: $10-20

Rear Diff: $150

Motor: $350

Trans: $275

you can haggle with prices a bit, especially if you are getting multiple items or you are a regular :)

And this is the only official pull your self yard, and about the only one that gets older stuff. the other yards won't touch the older stuff.

yep, there were cans allover the place, This was at hoovers, ever heard of it?

he was driving this huge loader, with beer in hand, tore the gas tank out of a car and started to crush it, gas spewed everywhere! the drunk rump roast forgot to drain the tank.:rolleyes:

Well the place was called FARNSWORTH AUTO PARTS in Fredericksburg, Pa

I guess if I had a brat and really needed that door I would have spent that amount... They also had two caps for a brat one low and one med Ht.. They also had a junker turbo Brat but I didnt look at the engine....

Joe

Just remember - EVERYTHING is negotiable at a junkyard. Call him up and lowball him a price - can't be that much demand for it if they are going to crush it. The guy was probably disappointed you didn't come back with "I'll offer you $20 for it!" It's like being in a third world country purchasing stuff - haggle!

Its called Farnsworth Auto Parts

its located at 71 farnsworth drive fredericksburg pa 17026

phone 717-933-8118

You can call me if you wanna meet up Stupidru...570-527-0602 cell

One of the guys on the board wants the door so Im gonna try and help him out to get it... Im gonna call them and see if I can talk him down like you guys said... They dont have any ea81 wagons..... they have actually two coupes and maybe two hatches.. Oh and close by there is a lady that has a ea81 wagon in her yard non 4wd with power windows.. I think she would give it away but not part it out.. I didnt look at it too good oher than the inside.. color is blue.....

Joe