Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hill Holder

The hill holder on my 93 Loyale is starting to act up as in locking up at the inconvienent times. I've adjusted the spring tension via the dime thickness trick, but it still locks up periodically. Is there an easy way to disconnect it so that it doesn't work - period. Not like I use it.

Thanks in advance

Ken

Yes disconnect the HH cable from the clutch fork and install a return spring (dealer) for your car. Then if you want you can just unhook the cable from the hillholder itself.

I guess I'm a little foggy here - where do I install the return spring?

Ken

The hill holder on my 93 Loyale is starting to act up as in locking up at the inconvienent times. I've adjusted the spring tension via the dime thickness trick, but it still locks up periodically. Is there an easy way to disconnect it so that it doesn't work - period. Not like I use it.

Well, disconnecting the cable might help. If the valve is not defective. But here's the thing. If it's not defvective, it's just out of adjustment, you can correct that through proper cable tension, and also shimming a washer under the rear mount. That will make it so it won't engage unless you are really on a "hill" of a good slant. HH's engaging on flat ground is not supposed to happen, and can't happen if you put the valve on a steeper angle.

Now if it's actually defective, as in locking randomly, then that means the pin that keeps the check ball off the seat of the valve has rusted away. If that's happened, the action of the HH is already not really connected to the cable. Disconnectiing the cable will not help....the valve will actually need removed or replaced.

The later is doubtful.

Likely if you set the cable correct, and shim the valve so it takes being on a steeper slant to activate it then you won't have troubles.

Yeah mine is acting up as well and now my tranny is acting up it grinds when i put it in reverse and 1st is getting harder and harder to get into..... could they be related?

Grinding and hard to get in first sounds like the clutch cable is out of adjustment. If that's the case, then the hill holder could be out of adjustment too.

Remember, set the clutch cable, then adjust the hill holder.

Edited by Gloyale

Grinding and hard to get in first sounds like the clutch cable is out of adjustment. If that's the case, then the hill holder could be out of adjustment too.

Remember, set the clutch cable, then adjust the hill holder.

Yeah I'll check that and that kinda makes sense as the clutch doesn't always return all the way back, and sorry if i hijacked this topic.