Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Travis' 88 Wagon FIX "Build"

Well, instead of checking the timing, because I don't have an engine hoist, I decided to look for a job.

I drove to Manhattan, which is about 1.5 hours from here. My 3AT decided to blow its fluids all over the road... as im doing 70. I realized about the time it whine on deaccel. I pull over, and huh. I'm dry. It needed something, so I threw trans-x in it. It held till I could get to the closest gas station, 9 miles away. Welcome to BFE KS, where Dextron III costs 1.89 for 2. :] I got it home, to find out that my Dextron and what is left of the gear oil in the torque converter might congeal, because ones a synthetic, and one is... not i guess.. I dont remember how he explained it. But yeah, If there is no validity to this statement what-so-ever, I'm gonna go ahead with the manual trans swap. Thank you mdjdc. If their is validity to it... well, my brother's smarter than I thought he was, and I'm still gonna Man trans it out.

I want to thank all you guys that have went to sold me parts, then I couldn't get them. I wanted that AWD trans, but, I couldn't afford it anymore. I wanted that passenger mirror, but, now I really can't afford it. i'm hoping that the trans will bolt up, not questions asked. that would be awesome.

I'm also thinking that my subaru is on its last legs. I really need to get a second daily, and tear that one down, and fix it right... not rely on lucas and sea foam.

Haha, in unrelated non-subaru news, I found an abandoned toyota supra, just like my old one... only turbo. So, I might get that, and make that into my daily. It looked good, and I've already got a motor and 5 speed trans if that one is done. Well, here's to hopes and dreams :banana:

Pop the bottom panel off of my steering column and take the "starter" wire and run it to my horn button? Because that seems way to dang easy. So, am I missing a piece here, or is that really all their is to it?

NO.

The horn is activated by the button in the steering wheel grounding out to the column.

You would need to wire in a relay that switches power to the starter based on a ground trigger.

Then for the horn, you would need the button on the floor to connect to ground when you depress it.

Yeah. I forgot to mention what ever happened with that. I tore my dash apart, found the wire, and put it on my horn switch. Pressed the horn, BAM. Instant wire meltage to my hand, jeans, dash, and both connections... oh yeah, plus it was on fire in one spot. I didn't even BEGIN to think about using 10ga, or even 12 ga... nope, grabbed the first thing I found, partly because I was kinda irked and wanted something to take my mind of stuff... Yeah, It was 20ga. it was melted and firey. That ended any and all thoughts about running my starter to a switch.

I did however take my stock soob to an ORV Park about 3 weeks ago, before my car started to do bad things. And told some guys in a truck... "Silly boys, Cars are for mudding too." They thought it was hilarious. Till I powered through a hole that his truck got stuck in. Then he thought it was bad rump roast, and wanted to know where he could get one. They also ended up pulling me out of a sinkhole. so glad for tow hooks on front. im also glad my exhaust is broke at the motor, cause it was buried at the back end.

NO.

The horn is activated by the button in the steering wheel grounding out to the column.

You would need to wire in a relay that switches power to the starter based on a ground trigger.

Then for the horn, you would need the button on the floor to connect to ground when you depress it.

Yeah. I forgot to mention what ever happened with that. I tore my dash apart, found the wire, and put it on my horn switch. Pressed the horn, BAM. Instant wire meltage to my hand, jeans, dash, and both connections... oh yeah, plus it was on fire in one spot. I didn't even BEGIN to think about using 10ga, or even 12 ga... nope, grabbed the first thing I found, partly because I was kinda irked and wanted something to take my mind of stuff... Yeah, It was 20ga. it was melted and firey. That ended any and all thoughts about running my starter to a switch.

:lol: Lesson learned! Glad it didn't fry anything serious, besides you :lol:

Now you know what happens when you piss your car off. It was just getting back at you for putting it in a sinkhole :D

• 1 month later...

Wow. Been awhile. Alright. Got a new car, and 88 celica, and thanks to the forums, I've decided to keep my soob.

Question #1- Application of brakes. what will fit my DL? disc on front, drums on rear. I tried Using the search function, but it didn't want to work for me. It kept telling me I needed to wait, then it would timeout. I need a new cailper, and a WHOLE new back drum system. backing plate, everything. I actually have a steady income now. the transmission will have to wait until it explodes, and when it does, it's getting an automatic again.

Question #2- how hard is it to adjust timing, and replace a belt without pulling the motor? If someone could link the post, that would be much appreciated.

Question #3- I put 8000 miles on my car in less than 2 weeks. Also, got a wally world oil change. -.- Any suggestions as what i should do as far as fluids, belts, hoses, anything. This is my work car, so I can't put it out of Commission for more than a weekend.

So, to answer the first question, anyone have some brake parts? I need a front passenger caliber, and a rear pass. drum. everything melted inside it, so i don't know if anything is reusable as far as the backing plate goes.

So I pulled codes finally. Thank you Grossgary for the link to the XTforum, and thank you GLoyale for the tip about the "no stored codes" Mine did the same thing, and thats how I got these Codes.

31 Throttle sensor or circuit

32 Oxygen sensor or circuit

34 EGR solenoid or circuit

35 Purge control solenoid or circuit

Whats a Purge control solenoid, and how do I fix 31?

O2 sensor will get changed, and the EGR will get a 33 Ohm, 5 Watt resistor, thank you GD. Your not THAT much of an rump roast. :P

But seriously. Whats purge control? Exhuast? Cause mines still super messed up.

Thanks guys, going to get some parts today hopefully.

EDIT: Wow. If its the throttle POSITION sensor, Junkyard special.

Duralast/Throttle Position Sensor

Part Number: TPS4032 Price: $399.99

Thats more than I paid for my car. That's more than 4 new tires cost me, plus a tow. On a happy note, the Oxygen sensor is 20 bucks. :D

Edited by Travisthedrumer
Prices; spelling

• 4 weeks later...