Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have 98 Brighten, Legacy wagon with 175K. It has ceased to run... The spark is intermintent then nonexistant and the engine will not start until it rests a while and then only on 2 or 3 cylinders. We have access to a donor vehicle and have replaced the cam sensor then the crank sensor then the coil all with no effect.

The vehicle has had good maintenance since I bought it new. The timing belt is current. I recently replaced the gas filler tube and check valve module. It has had plugs and wires within the last 50K that worked fine. I replaced the knock sensor as per a code warning.

I should mention that the car sat unstarted, for 10 days in rainy weather. I then moved it to another spot in the driveway without a problem. My son took it to work the next day and then the engine quit after running on partial cylinders for a minute.

I am hoping this sounds like a easy fix to some of you are familiar with the marque. Also I would likde to thank you for helping someone who just registered on this forum to get help.

Thanks,

Charlie in Pittsburgh

I just went to the shop to look for the ignitor. What looks like mine is a small black cube mounted on the passenger side shock tower with a short vacume line leading to another close-by unit. The cube has a three wire connector attached. There is no other module like item on the firewall that is ignition related.

We didn't get the opportunity to swap the ignitor today but will in a day or 2. Fortunately the car will not be needed for at least a month. I just wanted to confirm

if I found the ignitor or not.

If it doesn't work out, even though it sounds like a very common failing, we will go the jumped tooth belt route. As a back up theory, my son says that the car running poorly for a minute in start up mode and then shutting down could be caused by the computer taking over and shutting off the spark because the out of position crank sensor. I will report back to those involved. Charlie

I don't think you found the igniter, wrong part. The igniter isn't on the firewall, just close to it. Unless I'm thinking wrong it's dead center right behind the throttle body and has more than 3 wires - like 5. No vacuum hoses to the igniter.

You're looking for this little black thing on the left. Only about 2" x 2" x 1/4". Dead center of the engine bay mounted to the dogbone mount bracket on the firewall.

subaru_ignition.jpg

Put a timing light on it and seen if it strobes?

I put a timing light on mine when it was running and got no strobe. :confused: Must have had a bad connection?

Thanks all, I don't have access to the car since it is garaged some distance from me. We are prepared to attack the problem armed with the information you have provided.

I will report back to you with the results. Also thanks for being patient with me and for resisting the urge to scold me and for not exibiting pomposity toward me (Gloyale this part doesn't pertain to you).

i've seen cylinder misfires caused by aftermarket ignition wires cause a car to be nearly undrivable and hard to start. even seen it from brand new wires. if they aren't Subaru wires I'd swap another set on to check. these EJ engines are notorious unforgiving with plugs and wires for some reason.

I see that everywhere so there must be some truth to it, but my 96 is running strong on the CarQuest plug wires that came on it when I bought it. Never have had any trouble with misfires except the one time I got the plug wells full of water while washing the engine down. And at that, all 4 were nearly full of water, only one was misfiring. Maybe I got the lucky set? :)

Oh no fairtax not at all, you're not any luckier than the other tens of thousands of folks running with aftermarkets on EJ engines. don't hear what I'm not saying. I'm not saying that every single aftermarket set of wires installed will cause issues, that's silly. Aftermarkets have %XX success rate, whatever it is, it's less than the nearly %100 of OEM subaru's for the EJ motor series. Older gen subarus will run on speaker wire i think :lol::lol:

That's it. Jr. got around to swapping out the ignitor. Runs Fine. Now I must find one on line. I did a search at an online dealer, Auto parts Warehouse, and the part is not know under the name Ignitor. Tried module, no luck. I'll stop at the Suby dealer on my way home and if the part is not too expensine I'll get it there.

Sorry I strung this out so long. I have a wife in a wheelchair from a recent fall at work and I,m busier than ever. On the Airheads BMW list we also enjoy solving problems and help owners avoid dealer repairs. Yes, we have cyberbullyies there as well.

Igniter assembly

22438AA041

alternate: 22438AA042

'93, October — '94, June

22438AA043

alternate: 22438AA044

'94, July — '95, June

'94, November — '96, June

'95, December — '97, July

'96, July — '98, May

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

>electrical