Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Friggin T-belts. (semi-rant)

Grrr, ohkay, the short story. Wife went to Wal-mart, I stayed home. I get a call, the car died, won't start. So I drive out to where she's at (luckily it was a couple blocks from her work). Go check out the car, won't start as she says, check all the wireing under the hood, find nothing wrong. No spark. Hmm, look at the belt through one of the missing covers, no teeth, grrrr.

The biggest problem that we face at the moment is that I leave the state for 10 days at 8 tomarrow morning, at this is our only daily driver, and she's scared to drive the Brat.

Why is it that these things happen only at the most in opportune times. I couldn't have done it like 7 hours ago when the parts stores where open, and I could have layed out in the rain and fixed it tonight, and been all groggy driving down I-5 into Cali. No, had to wait till 10:30 at night, on the day before I leave!!!

I know someone is going to give that routine maintinence lecture.

But there was no way for us to really know, the odo stopped working a long time ago, and one of the service records states that the belts were changed no too awfully long ago.

Grrr, guess I'm a little miffed right now.

If any of the Rogues catch this soon, and can spare a vehicle for a week and half it would really set my mind at ease knowing that the wife can get too work.

Grr, somehow I knew that I should have thrown the motor in the other Brat sooner. Dang procrastination!!

Guess I'm done ranting..... for now.

You might want to think about putting a cover on there, timing belts don't like road debris. Also, just because the timing belts were just done, doesn't really mean squat. Flowmaster had put new belts on his wagon when they put the new motor in it, but he used some off-brand belts, and they snapped on him like, 10,000 miles later or something like that.

If you need a good odo, I have an EA82 instrument cluster......

One is a Turbo cluster with a dead oil pressure gauge (I think it just needs some tweakign cuz it sits WAY below 0 when off, but rises to a hair above 0 when at idle.), the other is a non-turbo cluster that works fine.

If I lived closer I'd loan her my Rabbit, but I don't quite trust it bringing it down there as it is not a real good highway car (Diesel 4 speed.. Tops out about 70)