Ultimate Subaru Message Board

should I fix my loyale b/f selling it?

My 92 Loyale needs a head gasket and cv boot on front side, new windshield. 145K miles on it. That's probably $1400 worth of work. I am planning to get a new car here in the near future (I'd like to get a 2005 Outback but can't wait 6 mos.) I don't know what to do about the loyale. if I put the $$$ into it to fix it, would I be able to get it back on the sale? Any thoughts? THX for the help.

sell it to someone who sees tha car as a slolid ride, and wouldnt mind fixing it. i myself would buy a car in such shape, because i can fix it with little more than my own time invested. anyone proficient in subarus would probably consider a buy, if the price is good(solid body and clean interior). maybe the buyer would have another motor to just throw in, as was the case with my car, i bought it with the motor in the trunk!

On a loyale, No don't waste your money. They are a dime a dozen. You will NEVER get that back on a trade in.

>>>> I completely agree.

I also have a 92 with 190K miles on body, 100K on engine and 40K on tranny which I want to sell. Will probably sell it for .. well, not much, as it is a 2WD auto.

It doesn't need that much work, but the above statement is true. Fix it only if you can use it. Otherwise get back maybe 1/2 of it.

Originally posted by jim martin

If I put the $$$ into it to fix it, would I be able to get it back on the sale?

My general rule is, "Sell it to avoid fixing it, don't fix it to help sell it."

IOW, it's almost always a better idea to sell a car as-is and deeply discounted, than to try to add value to it by repairing it. Unless you can perform the repairs on the cheap (ie DIY).