Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Incompetence at the parts department

So i called up no less than 3 subaru dealerships in michigan to get intake and exhaust gaskets, first guy says that there was no Ea-81 in an 84 hatchback, cause "I have one" the second one says that there would be a 4-5 day wait, if, if, they had them at all.

I call up Cater Subaru in Seattle, the lady is a bit rough but they have them in stock and can be shipped today and here two day air by thursday. now all i need is 4 exhaust bolts, no one seems to have them, i'm going to try the tractor supply down the street with a spare stud that i have.

This is what i have do deal with owning a Subaru in GM country.

for the exhaust studs, try a local hardware store. my local Ace Hardware has them. for my gaskets, I usually go to a small import only parts store. chains stores are of limited help.....

any parts req from dealer for anything ea82 and older around here, is almost always gonna be a special order item.... then wait a week for it to arrive.... or pay through the nose for expedited shipping....

Yea i'm going to the hardware store for the studs but for the intake and exhaust, i figured subaru genuine wouldn't hurt. i'm in the sticks, about 30 miles past nowhere so all we have are the chain stores, and to top that its only gm ford and dodge here, however i did see a whole bunch of new subarus around on the road today and that is encouraging

Noah:

You might want to give Hatfield Subaru in Columbus a shot. They are pretty good as far as dealers go. Call them directly and have them ship your parts to your local dealership.

Then all the local Doofus has to do is pull up the P.O...

Hatfield's # is (614) 870-9559 if you are interested.

good luck, John

I've been using Bruce Titus Nissan Subaru, mostly because they work within the Valentine Wholesale group, so I get free delivery out here in the sticks, three days/week.

Monday, I tried to find an EA82 distributor o-ring, it's an odd cross-section diameter, smaller than usual. Local guys struck out, so I ordered it, should be delivered Friday.

On the exhaust stud: I don't know about EA81, but the EA82 is 10mm x 1.25 pitch, and I have other info on this in this old thread .