Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbocharger

this message board is great everyone is so helpful I want to thank everyone on this board.

My question is: Is it possible to put a turbocharger on a 1989 Subaru GL that has a carburator? Its the 2door hatchback model with a 1800cc engine.

Check it out, Dial it in, Amp it up!

Please excuse me Sir Knight. You posted this picture of your car

Your Hatchback

Which is an EA81 engined car -from the factory.

And in the post you said

"I have a 89 subaru GL hatchback and I was looking for a conversion kit to change it over from a carb to fuel injection. "

We agreed on the last post that you had a hatchback and not a 3 door coupe, as we call the second generation hatchback.

Somebody must have swapped engines. And left the carb set up?

You must have black plastic timing belt covers spanning the front of the engine then, and now have the worry of timing belts.

Please excuse me for "assuming".

The turbo set up will requie new heads and the mods outlined.

It has been done.

come on skip, give the guy more credit for what you dont think he knows. im sure the guy can read

if it DOES say ea82, and the guy isnt on mushrooms, then, it must be transplanted. the ea82 will fit rather easily, and anyone who can swap a motor could possibly inadvetently invent the upgrade without knowing about the mod to begin with, "just swapping in another subaru motor"

Donald, it is very possible that this is the gentleman's first Subaru.

He may not be the the wise sage you take yourself to be.

Any manual he has on his car will not tell him it has timing belts that need changed.

If left unattended at the prescribed interval, could leave him stopped along side the road.

I hope he has not entered the "Trashwagon Zone" so he still has covers on his belts.

I am sorry, it sounds like you took offense at me filling him in on some new items this engine has?

Perhaps you would like to take up the mantel and do so?

I did apologize for assuming.

Donald may I say you are so wise and an omnipotent master,

I bow humbly in your presence.

As I am sure you would have Sir Knight also do.

Thank you for your kind and knowledgeable words of marked wisdom.

May they grace these pages for eternity so

we can all benefit from your academician teachings.

Do I detect a note of -

wait, no -

YES! IT IS!

SARCASM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your purple prose (or in this case, orange) gives me a smile. May you continue to moderate with thy tongue firmly in cheek and thy helping hand straightening out the threads which become hopelessly entangled.

P.S. Do I gather correctly that you are more of a keep it stock guy than a wild modifier, Skip?

OK, pretty wild!

HOWEVER, it is a very clean install. I would have expected nothing less. Not a sign of an open timing belt anywhere! (Sorry Miles) What is this website, pray tell?

BTW knight - sorry for the post hijack. If you want this to get back to your original question, let us know!

I dont have much helpful to say other than my opinion...

In my experiences (both working on cars and reading about others working on cars), adding a turbo to an N/A engine (especially a carbed one) is way more work than its good for.

You can probably find a turbo wagon or RX for $1000-$1500.

Putting a turbo into your car means pulling the engine and doing extensive work on it, most likely tearing it down to the block (I havent read the other thread on it, but I suppose it may be possible to put it in without tearing down the engine, but just taking it out).

This extensive labor, coupled with at least a few hundred in parts.... also keeping in mind the hit in reliability... its just not worth it.

Originally posted by Skip

Donald may I say you are so wise and an omnipotent master,

I bow humbly in your presence.

As I am sure you would have Sir Knight also do.

Thank you for your kind and knowledgeable words of marked wisdom.

May they grace these pages for eternity so

we can all benefit from your academician teachings.

i dont expect anyone to kiss my A. i post from EXPERIENCE, what has worked for me. let it be up to the one who asks to decide what to do with his car, i just give some options to consider.

believe you me, i have done some "unconventional" practices to soobs, and thay are all good