Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hope you don't get a flat, that 16" spare will throw off the AWD with your 14" wheels. Is it a full size spare or the 100mile one that comes with the car?

the thing about the wheels is I'm looking for '02 wrx wheels which seems no one has them right now so I might have to go the expensive way of buying them for like $90 a wheel :-/

I already got a brand new 16" spare ready.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope you don't get a flat, that 16" spare will throw off the AWD with your 14" wheels. Is it a full size spare or the 100mile one that comes with the car?

haha no, no the 16" spare is when I get the 4 new wheels and 4 new tires all 16"

the 14" I have now will just get winter thread

the stock spare is 14" and it's a small one. The good thing about it is it's hardly ever been used.

haha no, no the 16" spare is when I get the 4 new wheels and 4 new tires all 16"

the 14" I have now will just get winter thread

the stock spare is 14" and it's a small one. The good thing about it is it's hardly ever been used.

You really wanna get through the snow? Get 4 of those 16" spares from the Legacy or Outback with 15" wheels. Nice skinny tires will dig in like no other :grin:

Not sure if you're still on the subject of headers...I put this on my outback. I had just 2.25" Cat back with just a resonator in the middle and no muffler. It sounded pretty good, once I put that header on...holy crap...way deeper and has that Subie rumble. It's not loud at all, surprisingly...with the 5 gallon bucket of a muffler removed. But, I left the stock cat section in, my friend has the same setup on his RS but with a high flow cat...it makes it very very raspy. Also, I have an EJ18 block sitting in my garage, dual port, and the header fit on it just fine. The block is from a 1993 Imp.

Those headers are pretty good quality for the price. Even came with header gaskets and header to cat section gaskets and new bolts. Just be careful if you header wrap it, like I did because the header was 3/4 too narrow (might have been from shipping) and I wrapped all three of the pipes (where the passenger side comes next to the 2 driver's header pipes) and it didn't let me spread it. Undid the wrap, worked just fine.

Edited by [HTi]Johnson

No, I think it's the stock cat section keeping it from being raspy. My friend has raspiness with his RS, with a "hi flow" cat section. My other friend with a 1991 legacy with an EJ22 in it sounds raspy...has no cat.

So, it's either the fact that DOHC has something to do with not being raspy (I have DOHC, they have SOHC) or the stock cat section.

In fact, my friend with the RS is jealous because he paid over $500 for his stainless 2.25 exhaust and I paid no more than $200 and it's not raspy and sounds deeper.

Did it sound raspy?

Johnson;931872']No' date=' I think it's the stock cat section keeping it from being raspy. My friend has raspiness with his RS, with a "hi flow" cat section.[/quote']

You're right on the money.

The main contributors to rasp in the exhaust are running catless/high flow cat OR having differing pipe diameters in the wrong direction.

If you run the 2" header into a 2" cat then into a 1.75" mid-pipe and out to a 3" axleback you'll get rasp.

2" header into 2" cat delete or high flow cat, you'll get rasp.

2" header into 2" cat pipe (stock) into a 3" catback, no rasp.

You're right on the money.

The main contributors to rasp in the exhaust are running catless/high flow cat OR having differing pipe diameters in the wrong direction.

If you run the 2" header into a 2" cat then into a 1.75" mid-pipe and out to a 3" axleback you'll get rasp.

2" header into 2" cat delete or high flow cat, you'll get rasp.

2" header into 2" cat pipe (stock) into a 3" catback, no rasp.

I'll have the eBay header going into 2.25" catless to a 2.25" STI muffler. Care to speculate?

Jacob

I plan on staying stock no HFC or anything like that everything from the cats and back are getting replaced sticking with the stock center pipe which I think is 2" or 2.5" I can't remember..the magnaflow I think is 4" tip for the 14829 model. I hope it fills up the bumper as nice.

I'll have the eBay header going into 2.25" catless to a 2.25" STI muffler. Care to speculate?

Jacob

Chances are you'll get rasp by running catless. You can diminish it somewhat by getting a resonator installed anywhere before the muffler. Traditionally it'd go close to where the cat usually is.

When I do get my exhaust I wonder who I can take it to.. I have this one place in mind but a little unsure.. for one thing the shop is in a so-so part of the city and I don't want them chopping up the catback.

What are you needing done at the shop?

You can remove and install the entire exhaust in your driveway if you've got a pair of jackstands and some tools. That's assuming you don't need anything fabricated.

What are you needing done at the shop?

You can remove and install the entire exhaust in your driveway if you've got a pair of jackstands and some tools. That's assuming you don't need anything fabricated.

the magnaflow is just the muffler.. and not the piping that goes up to it.

the magnaflow is just the muffler.. and not the piping that goes up to it.

Gotcha, sorry I missed your comment. Must have been posted while I was answering the other post!

Chances are that there is a donut gasket at the back end of your stock cat pipe. When I installed my catback I removed the donut gasket and cut the small stub of pipe off the flange. I then used a flat flange & gasket for attaching my exhaust adapter which steps up to the 3" catback.

Just be aware of that incase you want to go back to your stock exhaust.

Gotcha, sorry I missed your comment. Must have been posted while I was answering the other post!

Chances are that there is a donut gasket at the back end of your stock cat pipe. When I installed my catback I removed the donut gasket and cut the small stub of pipe off the flange. I then used a flat flange & gasket for attaching my exhaust adapter which steps up to the 3" catback.

Just be aware of that incase you want to go back to your stock exhaust.

only donut gasket I have is after 2nd cat to the center piple

Pipe came today!

2010_0605Test0001.jpg

2010_0605Test0003.jpg

2010_0605Test0007.jpg

Duel Port Fo sho! :grin:

2010_0605Test0006.jpg

Installed:

2010_0605Test0008.jpg

Hits my oil filter: :eek: SO, tomorrow I need to try and bend that pipe down just a little, I hope I can bend it some - otherwise its rubbing on my filter (Thats like 600*) plus I wouldn't be able to change it. Hope I can bend it. :)

2010_0605Test0010.jpg

Cat flange:

2010_0605Test0013.jpg

2010_0605Test0011.jpg

ALSO, here is the difference between Fel-pro and whatever brand this cheep one is.

Fel-pro Left, Cheepie Right. The Fel-pro have reinforced port holes (Metal rings)

2010_0605Test0002.jpg

This sounds soooo nice now! I'm in love :banana:

ha felpro looks good, sucks yours hits the filter mine is close but never hits anything and no problems with Bosh or Purolator filters.

you don't run a TB cover?

Are either of these filters shorter then the Car Quest (WIX) filter? That could be the reason. I know the New Honeywell (OE Subaru) filters are really short.

I do feel a large improvement in Take-off, I don't feel that slight hold back when it shifts like I did before. :banana:

TB cover? Throttle Body Cover? No the '95s don't come with them, the mounting bracket for it is not on this year of EJ22s. That would be '94 and down. Or do you mean Timing Covers?

Are either of these filters shorter then the Car Quest (WIX) filter? That could be the reason. I know the New Honeywell (OE Subaru) filters are really short.

I do feel a large improvement in Take-off, I don't feel that slight hold back when it shifts like I did before. :banana:

nope.. let me find a pic I had in photobucket...

the one on the right is what I have on the car now

DSC_9765.jpg

And here is when I used to have bosh

DSC_0002.jpg

And I mean the Timing Cover

Hmm, I might see about a shorter Oil Filter (Maybe Genuine) I am still gonna try to flex the pipe some..

I don't run Timing covers, as I find they get in the way - plus you can see the belt everyday if you'd like. Plus you can see an oil leak before it soaks through the Covers. (Yes I can leaks) Driverside Cam seal.

You have lots of room on yours :(