Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1991 legacy

Dannomanno

Hey guys, I am getting a smokin deal on an all wheel drive 91 legacy wagon and I have been lookin at different stuff for that year and the only lifts I find are SJR does anyone else make stuff for this year, or should I keep wheelin the 83 and keep the 91 on the street, I need to hear the bad more than I do the good. So please tell me about any downfalls that I could have wheelin this thing please.

the 83 is a better wheeler out of the box.From the factory it had more ground clearance and a low range(sorta).Not to mention that to fit bigger tires on the 83 you just lift it or bash the the fenders in.The legacy needs a lift from the bottom of the strut to fit bigger tires.

the lego can be a wheeler, its just bigger,heavier,and doesn't have a low range,but it has way more power.

I would use the lego on the street,unless you swap in a 5 speed DR....

Have you checked out my Waterwagon 3 build thread yet?

I think the legacy would be a wonderful offroader, compared to the 83... seeming has how i have owned both (a few each) 83 GLs and 90's legacys.... and I have found that the suspension on the EJ cars are much better at flexing and maintaining their alignment than the older EA stuff....

true it is easier to make an EA car offroad-able for less money, but when you consider that an EA81 only puts out about 72-something HP at best when running great, (which is hard to do with a carbed engine these days with all that ethanol in the gas...)

and the EJ22 puts out a good 130-ish HP out of the box and with FI it's pretty easy to keep running smoothly....

that's just what I have to say about it though, I do have a liking towards the EA cars though, I think they are fun and simplistic.... but old tech now that I have driven the new stuff....

oh, and more food for thought- if you are wanting another reason to wheel the EJ car over the EA car, is the distributor vrs coil pack- EJ has no moving parts for it's electronic part of the ignition, and if you get a distributor wet (or even damp, or mis-adjusted, or dirty, etc) it sucks. trust me on this one- or see the following video on why an EJ and a snorkel are awesome!

810410999_7F9u9-M.jpg

i also believe that you(austin) blew up your idlers after that trip.so, IF you do go Ej style....i would suggest RTV'ing the timing belt covers.....just my .02 cents.cheers, brian

Oh yeah... this is a true thing.... or just be sure to run NO covers like I do now, and wash the bearings right away! ;)

Oh, and carry extra bits - a spare T belt or idler pulleys too.... they are not hard to change and the EJ22 from 90-98 is non interference valves :)

here is the disaster that happened to waterwagon 2's engine after I did not clean it (the rust water- it was an IRON MINE ORV park....)

878224396_gTRWo-M.jpg

here is the pulley, missing it's balls...

878224278_xXxjz-M.jpg

easy fix, as long as you have the spare parts...